Green Tractor Talk banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been looking around the web for a quick user friendly gun scabbard for my Gators.
I on my primary use gator the 865M, I have a roof , and a front and rear windshields.
I would like to come up with something that could possible strap to the roll cage but hang down right behind the or in front of the rear windscreen.

Was looking at stuff like this. Just curious what everyone else is using and what they like about their setups.

For me this not really about setting a part time hunting rig, more of a workhorse that I would like carry one of my lever action rifles on, for the occasional need for varmint control.
Especially if should spot a Beaver, those are the main nuisance critters around my place.
Also not real fond of snakes either, or pack rats either.

Product Wood Font Event Art

Hood Automotive tire Motor vehicle Vehicle Automotive design

Font Auto part Drawing Slope Cylinder

Rectangle Textile Sleeve Luggage and bags Grey

Cloud Sky Wood Mountain Bedrock

Automotive exterior Bicycle part Rectangle Automotive wheel system Rim

·
Registered
892 Posts
I have a couple old Kolpin gun boots from garage sales about $10-$15 each...
One is a little beat up more so than the other.. But when strapped to the loader frame on the tractor to carry an old sporterized 303 British, it don't take much bling to get that job done..

Reactions: cc1999

·
Premium Member
14,222 Posts
Big Sky Gun Rack. Home - Big Sky Racks

I've got the single rack mounted overhead in the Pinto Gator. Works well. Mounts high enough that it isn't in the way either.

·
Registered
5,410 Posts
I have one of these mounted up at top of windshield in the K-RTV

Not scope friendly....depending on rifle.
Can be mounted vertical ,on dash ,up above.
Simple and werks for me

Hood Green Azure Wood Bumper

Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Automotive exterior Font Bumper

I like this one also

Motor vehicle Vehicle Machine Automotive exterior Engineering

·
Registered
5,410 Posts
I Knew that was U.

I have the pedastall mount.for rear....I want duals....Need the dash mount.
Geuss I gotta call Russ

·
Registered
196 Posts
I Knew that was U.

I have the pedastall mount.for rear....I want duals....Need the dash mount.
Geuss I gotta call Russ
I dunno the more mounts the better. The side step mount is impractical unless your only at 2 o’clock. Don’t forget the football bat to go with the pioneer tools! Say hi to Russ for me

cc1999 you could find a leather scabbard like on my Jeep and put them practically anywhere. The m1 carbine scabbard as shown is a little difficult to find because no aftermarket (afaik) but it will securely hold a mini14 etc. They made them for larger rifles like the garand and 1903 and should be available aftermarket
Wheel Tire Vehicle Automotive tire Car

·
Registered
25 Posts
I would strongly recommend an enclosed bag carrier if you are going to be going any distance in your Gator. I started off with a Big Sky Rack mounted to the roll cage behind me and while the rack itself was solid, the problem is that if you have a windshield, it creates an air vacuum that will pull dirt from the bed of the Gator or around the Gator and cover your firearms in it. I use my Gator just about every weekend for hunting and it got to be a major pain if I drove any distance as my guns would be covered. Without a windshield, I noticed the dirt was much less, but it was still present.
I have since switched over to a Cabelas ATV / UTV enclosed carrier which allows me to carry two scoped rifles along with plenty of accessories. It has worked out great and even though the bag is covered in dirt, my rifles have remained spotless. The bag is also easily removeable so I can take it off at the end of the season and store it until the next time I need it.

·
Premium Member
3,187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I have several lever action Henry rifles. Only 1 has a scope on it. I mainly plan to pack one of the non scope lever action rifles on the gator at all times if I figure out a good scarab solution for it.
One that protects the Gun and is quick and easy to access whenever needed.

·
Premium Member
14,222 Posts
I started off with a Big Sky Rack mounted to the roll cage behind me and while the rack itself was solid, the problem is that if you have a windshield, it creates an air vacuum that will pull dirt from the bed of the Gator or around the Gator and cover your firearms in it.
Interesting.

I mounted mine to the top of the cage, just under the roof. Hasn't been a problem.

That said, I don't have a windshield and I don't drive fast enough to pull a vacuum.

It is after all a Pinto Gator.

Reactions: cc1999 and BigJim55

·
Premium Member
3,187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I was told if you buy the front windshield only and don’t get the rear, it will create that vacuumed.
My dealer talked me into rear window setup on my gator because of that concern.

Reactions: rtgt

·
Registered
5,410 Posts
Yep.......I have front window only.
Suks dust ,dirt ,fumes from the bed.

Don't laugh...I rig up a chunk of carboard to fill gap between Bed and back of seat.
It does fine till you hit the dump the bed lever....gotta go chase the custom cardboard cut out and slip it back in its spot
Round the farm is no big deal...its on garbage day heading 1/2 mile to the Hi way that its an issue or in pollen season.

·
Premium Member
1,287 Posts
Interesting.

I mounted mine to the top of the cage, just under the roof. Hasn't been a problem.

That said, I don't have a windshield and I don't drive fast enough to pull a vacuum.

It is after all a Pinto Gator.
I have a 590M. Not familiar with the term "pinto gator". Where did term originate and to what gators does this apply?

·
Premium Member
14,222 Posts
I have a 590M. Not familiar with the term "pinto gator". Where did term originate and to what gators does this apply?
@BigJim55 and @Old Cajun nicknamed my base model 560 a Pinto Gator a few years ago when they bought fancy schmancy big dollar ones. Big Jim calls his "The Caddy" and OC calls his a Hot Rod Lincoln.

While they live in ivory towers, some think the elevator doesn't quite make it to the top.

The term caught on and several use it when referring to the base model. There are lots of us out there enjoying our Pinto Gators. @Gizmo2 & @JDLTG come to mind.

·
Premium Member
3,433 Posts
Now I know why @Old Cajun about slipped a gear when he saw the price and HP of the new Signature Series Gators. He was looking at the updated Lincoln model rather than the Cadillac. The updated Caddy was $1000 cheaper and had 34 more HP. 🤣

·
Old Pa-pa
14,823 Posts
While they live in ivory towers, some think the elevator doesn't quite make it to the top.
Elevator!!
I got 2 steps to climb to get into my ivory tower and that is dang near too much now days. ;)

·
Premium Member
2,645 Posts
Yep.......I have front window only.
Suks dust ,dirt ,fumes from the bed.

Don't laugh...I rig up a chunk of carboard to fill gap between Bed and back of seat.
It does fine till you hit the dump the bed lever....gotta go chase the custom cardboard cut out and slip it back in its spot
Round the farm is no big deal...its on garbage day heading 1/2 mile to the Hi way that its an issue or in pollen season.
Duck,
I use a piece of 3/16 rubber from the lip of the bed to the back of the seats. It stays on until I take it off.

As far a carrying a rifle, I use the case at the link below stretched between the rear roll bars. Unzip and my MINI-14 tactical almost jumps into my hand. Laws are tough here in MA so the case has to go on and off at will.

Amazon.com: Savior Equipment American Classic Tactical Double Long Rifle Pistol Gun Bag Firearm Transportation Case w/Backpack - Lockable Compartment, Available Length in 36" 42" 46" 51" 55" : Sports & Outdoors

Air gun Trigger Table Wood Musical instrument accessory
Air gun Trigger Wood Everyday carry Gun barrel
Air gun Trigger Gun barrel Everyday carry Gun accessory

• Love
Reactions: theduke
1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.