Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I am really liking this R1 /R3 hybrid radial turf combo that I have on one of my 5115Ms.
I am thinking about doing something similar to my 4066R.
Here the 5M with Goodyear R1 radials on back and Galaxy garden pro hybrid turf radials on the front.

Here is the combo I am looking at for the 4066R.
For the front I found these in nearly the same size as stock R4s only in a 0.8 inch taller and 2" wider needing a 15"x10 Rim.
I think I may have found the rims.

Here is the front Tire I am looking into.
IF 320/65R15 Firestone Destination Turf R-3

Destination_turf_product_sheet.pdf (firestone.com)

For rear tires, looks like I can stick with the same OEM 24"x15" rims the R4s are on.
I looking at these two different Firestone R1 Radials
Rear Tires
420/85R24 Firestone Performer 85 R-1W

Or this Firestone Radial All traction 16.9R24

·
Premium Member
1,461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I am taking it from the crickets I am hearing on this topic, this not something anyone is really doing, or all that interested in. Lol

I found one new take off rear 420/85R24 Firestone Performer 85 R-1W which is what is actually pictured above.

They only had one left of the 6 they had started with. I found a few more on Ebay for about $2K ea. Turns out that tire is made in Europe. All the tire dealer I spoke with yesterday all said from what they knew about the the Firestone 85 R1 radial that it was a really good tire with a really nice smooth ride. All said none were available at any of there DCs.

I did find a second 1 at NTS tire, the same place that had the front tires, they also only had the one in stock.

My local tire shop said his cost was showing at over $1700 a tire. I paid about 1800 for the 1 and 900 for the other with shipping, I will be in the pair for around $1400 after shipping.
The much smaller front tires were pretty reasonable at $330.00ea.

Still working on tracking down the 15x10 front wheels I am needing for the front tires. The rear wheels on the tractor are compatible with these rear tires, same size tire actually where the R4 Fronts are on 16.5" x 8.25 rim. That said the best source I have found for Rims is Ag Wheel express and the new rear OEM rims are only 200ea so I may just keep my R4s all mounted up and possibly try and sell them at some point. The front Rims were listed at new for only $85ea.
Ag Wheel Express | Mason City, Iowa | Low Prices and Fast Shipping

Out of this whole project the big cost surprise has been just how expensive R1 radials are.
Especially in a size this small was what really surprised me the most. There rear tires are only 51" tall tires. Pretty much about the same as what is found on the front of 5 and 6 series machines.

Bigger more common size rear R1 radial ag tires costing around $1800-2500ea is not a major shocker.

Seeing these smaller sized tires I was looking for all bumping that $2000.00 ea price point was a bit shocking to me.

I was really glad I could at source the 1 as a new take off for under 900.00 to make them average out at something kinda sort of decent. Kinda sorta is because when I started this research I was thinking around 300ea for fronts and 600-700ea for the rears would be about what I was going to find for prices in this size category. Wasn't far off on the fronts but I really missed it on the rears.

Reactions: rtgt and Gizmo2

·
Premium Member
487 Posts
I don't have a dog in the fight, but to me those fronts do look like they would be much better than R1s for loader work. And keep the R1s in the back for ground engagement work.

·
Premium Member
1,461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
What's on the rear of the other tractor?
My 4066R came with bias ply R4s .

I am wanting to improve traction as well as smooth out the ride too.
I have radials on all my tractors except this one, several started out with bias ply tires when I bought them, and I later upgraded them to Radials, which I have seen substantial traction and ride quality improvements with every tractor I have upgraded to radial tires.

I know the past few months using the 5115Ms that both originally came with R1s all the way around, that the rear tires didn't seem to really cause any noticeable turf damage to the yard or pasture ground, but turn the front wheels very sharp at all, and the R1 front tires would peal up some serious chunks of turf.
With one of the 5Ms I now have Nokian hybrid turf radials all the way around, the other pictured at the start of the thread has this combo of hybrid turf radials on the front and R1s on the back.

·
Premium Member
1,461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
What's on the rear of the other tractor?
It hit me, that you may have been asking about this Tractors tires.
Those are TRI 2 Nokian's , looks similar but these are not the snow versions.
These are more of a hybrid turf radial .

·
Premium Member
1,461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yep, those are the ones I am interested in. I'm thinking I should have gone with the nokian tri2
I got to drive it around the barn a few times they day they installed them.
Other then that it has rained here almost every single day for the past 10 days or so. Basically the day after they were installed , so I have not had a chance to really try them out yet.

I am planning to put that tractor on the batwing mower shown above behind the 4066R.
The 4066R pulls it great, but the 4066R tends to get a lot use doing a lot of little quick jobs with various different attachments, and I get sick of unhooking and hooking it back up all through the summer to the batwing. The 4066R only has 2 rear scvs and I have to unhook and zip ty up the hoses to my power top link in order to run the batwing, plus the 5115M has a much larger, nicer cab and the swivel seat should make it much easier to keep an eye on the what is going on with the mower behind it.

Reactions: rtgt

·
Registered
2,149 Posts
I think you will like pulling the batwing with the 5 unless you have a lot of obstacles to work around .....i actually mow my yard with my 5 (r1s) and a trailed mower (but people think im crazy)....

your going a long ways $ wise for tires on the 4 but i think it will certainly be optimal for what your doing with the tractor

I agree with your assesment of R1s on the back being good on turf (unless its very soft) and the hybrids on the front seems like the perfect combo for mixed ussage like your doing ..

were getting that 10day+ rain here in SW missouri also ....maybe clear up next week

you may need to open up a tire shop for your rejects LOL

·
Premium Member
1,461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I think you will like pulling the batwing with the 5 unless you have a lot of obstacles to work around .....i actually mow my yard with my 5 (r1s) and a trailed mower (but people think im crazy)....

your going a long ways $ wise for tires on the 4 but i think it will certainly be optimal for what your doing with the tractor

I agree with your assesment of R1s on the back being good on turf (unless its very soft) and the hybrids on the front seems like the perfect combo for mixed ussage like your doing ..

were getting that 10day+ rain here in SW missouri also ....maybe clear up next week

you may need to open up a tire shop for your rejects LOL
Yea, I sort of figure if it’s wet or soft enough the R1s on the back would harm the turf, it Would likely harm it with the R4s or about any tread type, the weight if the tractor is going to cause some rut damage If it’s too wet or too soft for the weight of the machine.

Its been so wet here lately, my grass is growing out of control quickly. I am actually contemplating mowing the whole place with my X758 and it’s 54” deck. I have Never had to do that before.
I am betting It would likely take me 10-12 hours, but it’s just way to soft for the big machines, if I don’t mow soon, I am going to have to brush hog the whole place. Lol

I have been pressing a lot lately to get all the implements I may need , and all my tractors, all setup just how I want them, just as quickly as I can.

With supply chains getting weaker and weaker every week and month that goes by, and with inflation skyrocketing the cost of everything with no end in sight.

I am trying to get everything I can all squared away, just how I want it. I am thinking stuff could continue to get harder and harder to find or get bought at all, or would no doubt cost a whole lot more then they do today.

A lot of stuff I have been buying or doing here lately, would have been staggered out quite a bit maybe over several years, compared to the aggressive way I am doing things right now.

·
Premium Member
1,461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Well I was able to finally gather up
All the tires and wheels I was looking at . I got them all mounted up this week and we installed them on the tractor tonight.
Now all the tractors are running radial tires .

·
Premium Member
12,177 Posts
I am taking it from the crickets I am hearing on this topic, this not something anyone is really doing, or all that interested in. Lol
This cricket is interested.

Out of this whole project the big cost surprise has been just how expensive R1 radials are.
This cricket doesn't have that kind of cash laying around.

My 4066R came with bias ply R4s .

I am wanting to improve traction as well as smooth out the ride too.
I have radials on all my tractors except this one, several started out with bias ply tires when I bought them, and I later upgraded them to Radials, which I have seen substantial traction and ride quality improvements with every tractor I have upgraded to radial tires.
My 3039R has the bias R4's......... they suck. Well, maybe they don't. If they really sucked, they have some traction.

Nice looking setup on your final pictures.

I like the idea of R1's on the back and the turfs up front, just not the cost.

I'm probably gonna be doing the Gizmo chain thing.

·
Premium Member
1,461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Looks good, any issue with front tires rubbing with hard L or R turning?
Not really, I do need to probably run an extra zip tie or two around the loader hydraulic lines to secure them up a little higher.

Turned at full lock to the right, the right front tire does touch or would rub on the bundle of loader lines.
Other then that they seem to be clearing just fine.

I have only taken it for a quick spin around the property last night. More detailed review will come once I have had a chance to put a few hours on this new setup. I was planning to hook it up to my little 3pt disc for some groaund engaging work this weekend.
That should yield some interesting info. I know the original R4's were pretty terrible at ground engaging work. This new setup is bound to be an improvement.

I do know that I could tell right away, that there is not any weight in the rear tires.
That supposed to be getting resolved tomorrow. Hopefully the local ag tire guys show up as planned to fill tires.
Also will be topping off the R1 rear tires one of the 5115M and filling the Nokian rears on the other 5115M. Along with transferring the fluid out of the original R4s that came on the 4066R to the new R1s that are on it now.

Reactions: rtgt

·
Administrator
20,483 Posts
I say it...LOL.
It sure looks goofy to me with mismatched tires 🤷‍♂️ 😁

·
Premium Member
1,461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
Now Kenny they are not totally mismatched, they are all 4 Firestone’s and all 4 are Radials.
😝
I have not had a chance test the new combo on the 4066R, but I have a very similar combo on one the 5115Ms and it has really proven to work great. As long as it rides smooth and performs well fairly safe for use on turf with maximum traction when needed.

Now 5M’s are even more of a mismatch with Goodyear’s radials on the back and Galaxy hybrid turf radials up front.

Reactions: ttazzman and rtgt

·
Registered
7,442 Posts
If it works for you, don't let any ribbing bother you. You discovered what we've been seeing at work. Tires and rims are hard to get and costs are rising quickly.

For others contemplating similar moves, there are some less expensive but still very, very good tires on the market. If you have the piles of Gizmo's, Firestone makes a heck of a tire. But if you stash is less robust, CEAT makes a very, very good tire at lower cost. BKT's are also coming through on a fair amount of new equipment.

However you go, the cost is going to be significantly higher than a year ago and availability is down.

Treefarmer

·
Premium Member
1,461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
If it works for you, don't let any ribbing bother you. You discovered what we've been seeing at work. Tires and rims are hard to get and costs are rising quickly.

For others contemplating similar moves, there are some less expensive but still very, very good tires on the market. If you have the piles of Gizmo's, Firestone makes a heck of a tire. But if you stash is less robust, CEAT makes a very, very good tire at lower cost. BKT's are also coming through on a fair amount of new equipment.

However you go, the cost is going to be significantly higher than a year ago and availability is down.

Treefarmer
Yea, everything is skyrocketing in cost, that’s been one of the driving forces as to why, I have been trying to get all projects, upgrades, implements attachments found and acquired as quick as possible.

As for this tire wheel combo. I believe I ended up around $800-900 invested in the pair of front wheels and tires.

For the rear pair, I did snag the one new takeoff rear tire for $800 plus $100 or in shipping. The other rear tire was found at the same NTS tire that had the fronts but they only had the 1 rear and seemed everywhere I looked those rear tires go for around $1900 new. I am told the rear tires come out of Europe, and availability is huge problem right now.
Rear wheels were right at $450.00 for the pair with shipping.

I think all in wheels, tires, shipping, mounting, I ended up around $4200.00.

·
Premium Member
1,461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I got about 4 hours seat time this afternoon with the new radials today.
Decided to check tire pressure beforehand.
It was a little smother the other night when I first installed them and took it for a quick spin.
The rears had 28psi now set to 18 psi and the fronts had 66psi, now 36 psi.
Wow, now that’s more like it. Night and day smoother, then the OEM bias ply R4s.
Really happy with the new setup.
Radials are so worth cost difference over bias ply tires.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts