Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had a King Kutter 72" tiller for 10 years. Did a good job in everything but sod but worked well over all. No issues what so ever.

A friend of mine just got a used Yanmar and made me an offer I just couldn't refuse :nunu: so now I'm in the market for a new tiller.

Been looking around and for the money the King Kutter is still the the best value tiller I've seen.

But (there is always a but) now there are reverse tine, "C" tine, chain drive, gear drive, pinion style gear box, pressure tail gates ..... ect.

What I'll be doing with it is lite landscaping, for hire garden tilling (new sod busting and existing) and food plots.

Been looking hard at the Phoenix, Frontier and LandPride Tillers and am thinking of going to a 82"-84" (New 4066 should handle it) BUT they are twice the price of the KK,

Any suggestions? Or a brand I'm over looking. :munch:

Reactions: BigJim55

·
Registered
3,919 Posts
Any tiller their hardest job is sod. Along with price is how it is built.Overall weight can tell you how tough it is (housing,tine thickness) and as always availability for parts now and down the road.:good2:

·
Bonehead Club Lackey
10,269 Posts
82"-84" tiller?! That's a whole new world to me. I got nothing.

·
Registered
1,683 Posts
I had a King Kutter 72" tiller for 10 years. Did a good job in everything but sod but worked well over all. No issues what so ever.

With 10 years experience tilling, I suspect you know more about tillers than the rest of us!

·
Registered
12,523 Posts

A friend of mine just got a used Yanmar and made me an offer I just couldn't refuse :nunu: so now I'm in the market for a new tiller.

Been looking around and for the money the King Kutter is still the the best value tiller I've seen.

But (there is always a but) now there are reverse tine, "C" tine, chain drive, gear drive, pinion style gear box, pressure tail gates ..... ect.

What I'll be doing with it is lite landscaping, for hire garden tilling (new sod busting and existing) and food plots.

Been looking hard at the Phoenix, Frontier and LandPride Tillers and am thinking of going to a 82"-84" (New 4066 should handle it) BUT they are twice the price of the KK,

have u looked very hard at a reverse rotation tiller yet? before i bought my KK 60 inch tiller, i almost bought one-kk has reverse rotation tines--only a hair more money. what i liked a bout them was how they buried the sod and greens to the bottom. look on u-tube-lots of videos on their about tillers that have reverse tines-very impressive. the reason i didn't get one is because i want to plow mine before tilling. good luck

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
82"-84" tiller?! That's a whole new world to me. I got nothing.
The old Kubota 38 hp handled the 72" very well figured the new JD 66 hp could handle another 12". It is a bit big I'll give ya that. But thats one less pass in every 6 :good2:

With 10 years experience tilling, I suspect you know more about tillers than the rest of us!
10 years with one type and brand. Looking for info on others ie reverse tine, C tine vs L tine, chain drive vs gear drive ........

have u looked very hard at a reverse rotation tiller yet? before i bought my KK 60 inch tiller, i almost bought one-kk has reverse rotation tines--only a hair more money. what i liked a bout them was how they buried the sod and greens to the bottom. look on u-tube-lots of videos on their about tillers that have reverse tines-very impressive. the reason i didn't get one is because i want to plow mine before tilling. good luck
Yeh watched all the different commercial youtube vids. I'm with ya on reverse tine turning cover under much better. But some say standard rotation gives a better smother seed bed. I was hoping that someone on here had some actual experience with other type (C tines are advertised to "chew" better than L tines) and brand tillers. (Italian tiller mfg Maschio & Phoenix are advertised to be the best on the market. WHY? :dunno:)

I'll probably end up gettin another KK based on Price alone but I am really interested in what makes the others so much "Better". And if they really are worth the extra money.

Reactions: Levi

·
Bonehead Club Lackey
10,269 Posts
To tell the truth, I haven't heard of reverse tine tilling and C-tines till about a year or 2 ago. Mine is just a normal tiller and it works for me so it's what I'll stay with. I'd hate to get a different one and fine out I didn't like it after spending the money. You know the "why fix it if it ain't broke" theory. Haven't heard much about the reverse tine tiller's. I've seen one in action and it seems to do a good job. But that was in a video. I'd want to see it in person doing it's work. :dunno:

·
Premium Member
740 Posts
I've not seen much chatter here at GTT about Tarter products, when I decide to pull the trigger on a tiller (Rotary Tiller - Tarter Farm & Ranch), I believe It's the unit I'll buy. It only comes in L tines, but they can be set to run in either forward or reverse direction. I doubt it would be something one would do every day, but could be done each season as needed.

·
Registered
2,461 Posts

·
Registered
618 Posts
I have used several tillers over the years, I have the 647 JD tiller for my 1025r and it is great.

A friend had a tiller he built himself out of a couple of Mack Log Truck Axles and a Cat engine. That thing was 10 feet wide and chewed up stumps like it was no one's business. He had a Christmas Tree restoration business, he also made a brush hog on the same principle that mowed down Christmas Trees.

One thing to think about on a Reverse Tine is that it throws the material forward, that includes rocks, bricks, sticks, and a lot of other things. Make sure it has a high quality guard on the front to protect you and your machine.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

1 - 12 of 12 Posts