Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking for a rear pro driven tiller for my 2018 1025R. I have narrowed it down to an REI ( Imported by Tar River). It is a gear driven unit and I am looking at 2 models. One is a 48 inch model and the other is a 59 inch model. A local dealer has given me a real good price on a new 48 inch model, but another dealer has a 59 inch model that is leftover from last year and has never been used but it is a 59 inch model. I can buy the 59 inch model for $250.00 less than the new one. I was just wanting input from the members, Will the 59 be too big? I know the type of soil has a lot to do with it. Any input is appreciated, and what is the general opinion of the REI or Tar River brand of tillers?

·
Registered
2,899 Posts
I've never heard of the brands that your are talking about, so I can't comment on them. As you noted, the type of soil makes a big difference...………….but. I have a Woods RTR48.30 reverse tine tiller that I use on my 1025R. I personally think a 59" tiller would be to much for my tractor. Sure you can always overlap your passes more, go slower or not as deep. There again...……..but. If the money isn't the deal breaker, you'll be much happier in the long run with a tiller that is more sized for the tractor. I would stay with a 48" to 52" tiller.
Two cents.gif

·
Registered
553 Posts
I used a 50" tiller with a X748 and it was just right, covered my tracks with no offset, the tractor had plenty of power. If the smaller machine does the same for you, I'd go with it. You will have enough lift capacity for the larger one, and engine power will be okay, but the smaller one would be better, I think. My tiller still covers the tracks on my 2520, barely, so as far as covering your 1025's tracks, you should be okay. Be sure to get a slip clutch with the tiller, you'll need driveline protection and shear pins will drive you nuts after a while.

·
Registered
576 Posts
I was in a very similar situation not long ago. My local RK had a clearance 60 inch tarter tiller for under $1000. I couldn’t believe the price but finally walked away for fear I couldn’t use it. I ended up with a 4ft and am glad I did for my 2025R. It covers my tracks and at its deepest setting can bog the engine slightly in our hard packed shale dirt. A cheap implement is worthless if you can’t use it to its full potential.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
1,832 Posts
I believe Tar River is a brand that Good Works Tractor, a former vendor here, sells. I have no personal knowledge of Tar River, but I've never heard anything bad about them.

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
I would make sure your tractor has the PTO HP to operate the tiller and sure your 3pt hitch has the capability to lift the tiller. It doesn't do any good to get big tiller if your tractor is going to struggle with it. Most SCUT owners I know get a 48 to 50 inch wide tiller for that size tractor so a 59 inch might a tad big. I can't comment on the brand but look at how it is assembled and the materials used.

·
Registered
447 Posts
The brand is fine, but anything over 48" will either be too heavy, require too much PTO HP , or both. Go with the 48". You'll be happy.

·
Registered
320 Posts
When I bought my Bush Hog tiller at Good Works Tractor, last week, I had the opportunity inspect and compare the Tar River tillers to the Bush Hog tiller …They were identical in every way ...
I'm sure they were made by the same company ...

G

·
Registered
239 Posts
Last year I bought the 48" Tarter sold by TSC. You can get a substantial discount by joining their Neighbors program. It is a GEAR drive AND Reversable. I reversed it as I assembled it and its a beast! It was heavier than any other brands I looked at (weight is good). I tilled a 1 acre field with it on my 1025r in a couple hrs to a depth that it was almost totally buried. I also used it on some small lawn jobs and it was unstoppable. This year with the 2025, I expect itll be even better. The thing is built like a tank. For the money, you cant go wrong. I had the option of a 60" and the way this tiller digs in Im glad Im not trying to add 25% more work. Stick with the 48 and you will be happy.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Last year I bought the 48" Tarter sold by TSC. You can get a substantial discount by joining their Neighbors program. It is a GEAR drive AND Reversable. I reversed it as I assembled it and its a beast! It was heavier than any other brands I looked at (weight is good). I tilled a 1 acre field with it on my 1025r in a couple hrs to a depth that it was almost totally buried. I also used it on some small lawn jobs and it was unstoppable. This year with the 2025, I expect itll be even better. The thing is built like a tank. For the money, you cant go wrong. I had the option of a 60" and the way this tiller digs in Im glad Im not trying to add 25% more work. Stick with the 48 and you will be happy.
That's funny... I just signed up this morning on TSC website, they have the 48" in stock at my local store.. 😁

·
Registered
576 Posts
That’s same model I have and I agree. It’s by far the most solid built 4ft unit I have seen. It checked all the boxes of what I wanted. I picked mine up gently used off craigslist for about half price. Tines still had paint on them. I got lucky.

·
Registered
553 Posts
The brand is fine, but anything over 48" will either be too heavy, require too much PTO HP , or both. Go with the 48". You'll be happy.
I agree the 48" will "make him happy", and that it's probably the best choice if all his choice are either a 48" or 60" and greater. A 1025R has 18 PTO hp, plenty to turn the 48" and sufficient for a 60". The 1025's lift will also pick both of them up, but the limited lift height makes lifting and carrying a full-size tiller more difficult, because you sometimes can't get it high enough to prevent dragging it when you come out of a tilled area that gets lower than the surrounding ground, or when you drop off into a lower area. This was the biggest shortcoming with my X748, the lift height. The tiller I use is a 50" reverse-till Land Pride, had it for ten years. I had a forward rotation LP tiller the same width, but with a larger tine diameter, with a different tractor that had a full Cat-1 lift, but less PTO power (16). It still turned the tiller just fine in ground that regularly was worked for gardening, but had some difficulties in "raw" or un prepared hard ground.

Tiller weights of similar widths can vary widely between manufacturers, so the blanket statement of anything over 48" being too heavy isn't necessarily true. generally, though you can expect a 48" tiller to weigh from 225 to as much as 300 pounds, and a 60" tiller to weigh between 275 and 375, depending on who makes it. OP could probably lift a tiller weighing 450+, but then he probably would have one too large to be practical, as not only does increased width require more power to operate, a heavier tiller does, too.
For comparison sake, here's the LP0550RT behind a X748, with a limited Cat 1, and behind a 2520, with a full Cat 1 lift. Note the difference, both are at their full lift height. keep in mind the 1025 and the X748 both have the same size rear tires, which is what contributes most to the limited lift height. Note also, this tiller is a "low-profile" tiller, made for machines with a limited lift height. Consider a full-size tiller will probably sit several inches closer to the ground when lifted.

·
Registered
447 Posts
I agree with you, however, there's no reason to load up on the machine if not needed. I've been around this block plenty of times having worked my sisters farm for years and owning a number of GT's and tomorrow (hopefully) a 1023e. My deal isn't the weight, as even my X738 will lift almost a half ton, my deal is the amount of wear induced by any tiller tied to the back of your machine using all the PTO horsepower you have all the time. But, to each his or her own.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I done did it today ... pulled the trigger, my local TSC had the Countyline 48" unit in stock. $50.00 off, no interest 12 months, cause I gots no money.. Was nice to be able to check it out 1st, what a nice heavy duty unit!

·
Registered
576 Posts
I done did it today ... pulled the trigger, my local TSC had the Countyline 48" unit in stock. $50.00 off, no interest 12 months, cause I gots no money.. Was nice to be able to check it out 1st, what a nice heavy duty unit!
View attachment 731732
View attachment 731733
Congrats you’ll love it. Don’t forget to check gear oil. They’re usually shipped dry. And you may need to cut the pto shaft down.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Congrats you’ll love it. Don’t forget to check gear oil. They’re usually shipped dry. And you may need to cut the pto shaft down.

Thanks, 1st thing I did, before I even brought the tiller home. Went back to work at my shop, ordered up the correct oil from Napa and filled her up. The adventure was yet to come... Got it home, hooked up the 48" fork lift, glad I got the longer forks.. I needed them. Now the adventure, had to move the forks in to fit in between the frame the tiller was mounted in, I made the mistake of moving one side in and not having the forks evenly centered... daaaamn.. got the tiller barely lifted high enough to take off the truck and as I started to move, I could feel the tractor beginning to lean to one side ... a lot ... I quickly lowered the forks... it was close.. I'm sure I was on 2 wheels. After that. I backed out, and came in from the side of the tiller, got the forks back centered and was able to move the tiller into my shelter for assembly.. Phewwww. It's a heavy unit! All assembled, just need to grease the joints on the driveshaft and check the length, hook it up tomorrow nite

·
Registered
58 Posts
It's on-center and I hope I match compatible. I let ya know tomorrow of saturday.

·
Registered
2,899 Posts
Thanks, 1st thing I did, before I even brought the tiller home. Went back to work at my shop, ordered up the correct oil from Napa and filled her up. The adventure was yet to come... Got it home, hooked up the 48" fork lift, glad I got the longer forks.. I needed them. Now the adventure, had to move the forks in to fit in between the frame the tiller was mounted in, I made the mistake of moving one side in and not having the forks evenly centered... daaaamn.. got the tiller barely lifted high enough to take off the truck and as I started to move, I could feel the tractor beginning to lean to one side ... a lot ... I quickly lowered the forks... it was close.. I'm sure I was on 2 wheels. After that. I backed out, and came in from the side of the tiller, got the forks back centered and was able to move the tiller into my shelter for assembly.. Phewwww. It's a heavy unit! All assembled, just need to grease the joints on the driveshaft and check the length, hook it up tomorrow nite
I got mine off the truck by lifting with my forks and then having my wife drive the truck out from under it. Slowly lowered forks to the ground.
Duh2.gif

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I went ahead and bought a tiller off of facebook marketplace. It is a REI brand of tiller and it is a DLT 050. It is 50 inches wide and I am pretty sure it is a chain drive model. The previous owner bought it new at a local dealer a few years ago and only used it a few times. It still had the paint marker inventory number on the tines. The tiller was set up to work on a Deere 1025r( same as mine). It really looks same as new. Bought it for $1000. This tiller only has a vent on top and a drain port on the bottom but does not appear to have a fill port and am unsure how much oil to put in it. Any way it had plenty of oil in both boxes, but I am unsure of the correct levels, manufacturer manual only says to change the oil but offers no specs on amount.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts