Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Does anyone have any idea who the manufacturer of this trailer is? Comes from the mid-west somewhere.

This one is a 16' car hauler w/2' Beaver tail

Here it is delivering my new 1025 last September....

Attachments

·
Registered
2,736 Posts
Any markings on it at all? It looks similar to a car trailer my father had for a few years that was made around here. Maybe North Dakota. However that design is pretty common.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I tried zooming the pictures and there are no markings. What I do know is it came from the mid-west

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I saw the trailer once, on delivery. My delivery guy said he has no idea who makes it, but he can get me one (from the mid-west) for 2870.00

·
Super Moderator
4,900 Posts
It's a pretty generic 16' trailer. Every major trailer manufacturer makes one just like it.

·
Registered
11,764 Posts

·
Registered
21,539 Posts
It's a pretty generic 16' trailer. Every major trailer manufacturer makes one just like it.
Yup - pretty much a dime-a-dozen trailer.

Like you said - go to just about any trailer manufacturer or sales lot and you will find some very similar to it.

Don’t know why the OP is looking for this specific trailer however......and the tractor certainly isn’t tied down properly on the trailer in the pic.....

·
Registered
1,933 Posts
Several small local manufacturers build trailers like this all day/every day. Average trailer for an average price and they are selling the heck out of them.

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
One midwest manufacturer that makes one similar is ABU Trailers. ABU Trailers | ABU Trailers

I have one of their 10K equipment trailers and it has been good, though I've only had it a year. Got me down to TX and then back with my 2520 just fine and I've used it for a ton of equipment moves and dirt/sand/hay hauling too.

Really, I wouldn't worry too much about what brand that one was. Just note the features you find desirable and then start looking for trailers in your area that have them.

Rob

·
Registered
1,933 Posts
Really, I wouldn't worry too much about what brand that one was. Just note the features you find desirable and then start looking for trailers in your area that have them.

Rob
I agree completely. The local builders are building the "basic trailer" for the same reason I would if I owned the business... They sell! If you want a TRAILER they will work with you to get the details exactly as you want and will build one heck of a trailer just the same as anything else out there. Price matches anything else out there as well. As with everything, you get what you pay for. Personally, if all I was hauling was a small compact tractor and an implement or two a few times a year and had no other needs for a trailer, I wouldn't want a 3 or 4 thousand dollar trailer just sitting around for the tires to break down.

·
Registered
21,539 Posts
I agree completely. The local builders are building the "basic trailer" for the same reason I would if I owned the business... They sell! If you want a TRAILER they will work with you to get the details exactly as you want and will build one heck of a trailer just the same as anything else out there. Price matches anything else out there as well. As with everything, you get what you pay for. Personally, if all I was hauling was a small compact tractor and an implement or two a few times a year and had no other needs for a trailer, I wouldn't want a 3 or 4 thousand dollar trailer just sitting around for the tires to break down.
That’s why I sold my trailer when I got sick and had to quit my mowing business. I knew if it sat, especially with the humidity around here, it would just rot. Not only the tires but brakes rusting up, critters chewing on wires, etc.

In 5+ years now I only had one occasion where I could have used it. But rented a tow dolly from U-Haul for $50.

·
Registered
2,736 Posts
One midwest manufacturer that makes one similar is ABU Trailers. ABU Trailers | ABU Trailers

I have one of their 10K equipment trailers and it has been good, though I've only had it a year. Got me down to TX and then back with my 2520 just fine and I've used it for a ton of equipment moves and dirt/sand/hay hauling too.

Rob
I think this is the trailer that my dad had. I know he bought it at the MN State Fair. I remembered when they went through all the options he wanted and painted it up for him they did some pin striping on it and had an "A" on it. I wanted to say it came out of ND somewhere. It was a nice trailer but they didn't need it anymore so he sold it. He would trailer his Corvette down to AZ for the winter when they went down there.

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
I think this is the trailer that my dad had. I know he bought it at the MN State Fair. I remembered when they went through all the options he wanted and painted it up for him they did some pin striping on it and had an "A" on it. I wanted to say it came out of ND somewhere. It was a nice trailer but they didn't need it anymore so he sold it. He would trailer his Corvette down to AZ for the winter when they went down there.
Yep, that sounds like them. Made in ND and they do tend to pinstripe them with an 'A' on them.

Rob

·
Registered
2,736 Posts
Yep, that sounds like them. Made in ND and they do tend to pinstripe them with an 'A' on them.

Rob
Yep that is the same "A" I remember on the trailer with pin-striping. He had the pockets for a rail around it but never added it. Went with the optional front rock deflector in diamond plate. Had a front box kind of like that but it was one of his own. Left fender was removable so he could take it off and have more clearance to get out of the car. It had the same style ramps that you mentioned in the earlier photo. His looked a lot like that but was red because that is the only color a Corvette comes in.

As mentioned though. This design is a pretty common trailer design. I don't know what he paid for it but probably $3K or so maybe with the State Fair special going and all the options he added. It was a great trailer but he only owned it a few years.

·
Registered
8,214 Posts
Every trailer is required to have a label Permanently secured to the front area, usually on the trailer tongue or the leading edge of the trailer, which will have the trailers VIN number, manufacturer information and build date. They will also have the weight limits of the trailer as required by law.

Call the guy who made the offer to you, all he has to do is look at this label. Better yet, have him take a picture of it and send it to you. Actually, it looks like there is a silver label on the tongue on the road side of the tongue in the pictures you posted. I would bet there is, or at a minimum, there is supposed to be. Most likely, there is a label with these details.

There are dozens of companies in the Midwest who build these entry level trailers, just like the one you have in the photo. The price you quoted is in line with what I would expect this trailer to sell for. Not a steal of a deal, but not being gouged either. Middle of the road.

I owned a trailer dealership business along with other product lines in the group of businesses for many years, so I am familiar with this stuff and of course, I have an opinion.

Things to watch for on these "Equipment Trailers" include the following;

1. Look underneath at the electrical harness. If you see any "Scotch Locks" used anywhere, PASS......I am sure there are those who will disagree with me when I say there are two ways to connect wires, the correct way or the scotch lock way. This is why this is my number 1 dislike on new open trailers (or any trailer for that matter).

2. If wires are routed through rough cut holes in ANY material without grommets to protect the wire move on. It's a dead short waiting to happen and tough to find. Just think, a piece which costs $0.09 cents on average can prevent such headaches. When a company is so cheap to cut this corner, I want nothing to do with them.

3. No LED Lights? Unacceptable today.

4. Electrical harness where you can see individual wires or electrical tape....Yep, keep going. More of the same.

5. Used tires and wheels. Make sure all of the tires are the same make and model and size. Often, they aren't on "cheap trailers". In fact, many "Equipment trailers" specifically use used tires to keep the price low and offer "new tires" and wheels as a "up-sell option". Hard to believe, but true. Just as bad, Check the actual tire manufacture date. I have seen "new trailers" for sale with tires that were made more than 3 years prior. The actual molded date in the tires was years before the build date on the new trailer, last month. I know, hard to believe but I have seen it many times. This is apparently where liquidation specials of NOS tires go to die.

6. The trailer's GVWR (Gross Vehicle Weight Rating) is the individual axles load carrying limit, time the number of axles.
Here is what the load limits for the trailer are likely to be, depending upon the axles used.

Tandem 3,500lb axles GVWR would be 7,000lbs less the estimated trailer weight of 2,800lb = 4,200lb load limit
Tandem 5,200lb axles GVWR would be 10,400lbs less the estimated trailer weight of 3,240lb - 7,160lb load limit

Please note these are only estimates based upon my experience. I also suggest you have the tow vehicle and the trailer, when loaded, weighed at a "official scale" so you know exactly what you are hauling and whether or not it is within the proper legal limits for your vehicle and the trailer.

You should refer to the trailers official load limit tags.Either trailer configuration weight limit would carry your 1025r and a few implements without any trouble. Just make sure you own an adequate tow vehicle to handle such loads. At a minimum, the vehicle to safely tow this trailer would be a 1/2 ton truck and would likely be higher. Also make sure to have the proper electric brake box and calibrate it correctly. A weight distributing hitch would also be required to keep the trailer load properly distributed so it can be towed and stopped safely in emergency conditions. This is why you should have the tow vehicle and the trailer weighed on an offical scale that gives you a printed report so you can verify the load per axle and the tongue weights of the trailer (which may require dropping the trailer on the scale, ask the scale personnel how to best measure the actual trailer tongue limit.

I use a local paving company for their scales. They charge a very nominal fee of $10 to $20 to weigh the vehicle and print the report for our records. Their scale is a certified scale and properly calibrated as it is used in official commerce.

7. Make sure the welds on the trailer don't resemble chicken feces. They should actually penetrate and join the materials.

8. Make sure everything under the trailer is painted. Everything.....Everywhere. Places where you aren't supposed to look matters a LOT, sometimes even the most.....

9. Make sure the deck material is actually treated wood. Also make sure the fasteners actually fasten to something intended to be structural. Sounds simple, but you would be very surprised.......

10. Also look at the fasteners and see if the heads of them are all hogged out. This usually means cheap which means trouble.

Good luck. Always remember the old adage, "Cheap, Quick, Quality.......Pick any two.".....

·
Registered
763 Posts
I saw the trailer once, on delivery. My delivery guy said he has no idea who makes it, but he can get me one (from the mid-west) for 2870.00
You can get it cheaper. Here is a link to a previous thread I posted when I purchased my new trailer. The manufacturer is near Branson, MO.

·
Registered
650 Posts
Does anyone have any idea who the manufacturer of this trailer is? Comes from the mid-west somewhere.

This one is a 16' car hauler w/2' Beaver tail

Here it is delivering my new 1025 last September....
You may want to get a different security lock on your trailer I had one like that and one day I was helping a friend move and he saw it. Made a bet (beer & pizza) after we were done moving that he could get it off in less than a minute. All he needed was a 2' crowbar and in 30 seconds I was buying.

Doug

·
Registered
2,149 Posts
If you are near Erving Ma. On rte 2 check out Tim,s RV they have very nice rice trailers for around 3.5k$ that includes a great built in tongue tool box

1 - 20 of 47 Posts