Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

New member here. I was at my local dealer this week and priced out a new x750 with a 60" 7 iron deck for almost 14k otd. I'm coming from a a commerical Husky PZ60. I like the speed of the zero turn but will be turning 50 this year and my back gets pretty soar from my old machine. Has anyone here made the switch from a zero turn back to a tractor? I was talking with my dealer and told them my dilemma and they pointed me at the x7xx. I love the idea of a diesel. My dad still farms and I've always enjoyed the big tractors. As I've been researching my dealer also quoted my 7 iron 60d deck. Is that compatible with the x750? I thought a had read it won't work. Also was wondering about the 754 and the 758. My lawn is pretty flat. Don't think I need the 758. The 754 is interesting. I read a few say it wanders though. Was wondering if the 754 would maybe help with the loss of my zero turn speed? I have a few trees and several obstacles. Probably starting to ramble. Sorry all just trying to make a decision.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I have an x754 with a 54" deck I bought new in 2013. I wanted four wheel drive but I had already been hooked on the four wheel steer with the x324 I was upgrading. The x739 had both, but it was gas and I wanted diesel. Looking back now I have no regrets at all. The sales guy told me the reason they didn't offer both 4wd and 4ws with the diesel was that the weight would put it over the limit for no ROPS and they didn't want to put a roll bar an a lawnmower. I don't know if that is accurate but at this point it doesn't matter to me because there have been just a few times I could have used 4wd.

The four wheel steer is a big help to me with the obstacles in my yard. I have never noticed it to wander any. I know the first time you crank the wheel over at full speed it surprises you at how quickly it turns, but it goes as straight as can be when you want it to.

In seven years of use the only part other than maintenance stuff I had to replace is the drive belt for the power blower every couple years. It has been trouble free and the seat is very comfortable! The power steering and power deck lift are real nice for my old back, which is 19 years older than yours. I truly admire your dad for still being able to enjoy farming.

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Given the option I would get the x758 hands down and never think twice or look back.

The 4 wheel steer is neat and all but I would take the hydraulic all wheel drive over it any day of the week.

The x7 tractors are very nimble, not just for their size but, compared to just about any other riding mower.

The AWD also makes the drive over deck easier to use compared to the 2wd models.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys. Good information. Really appreciate the feedback on the x754. I am glad to hear even with the added 4ws you haven't had any issues.

Sent from my SM-T830 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2013 X734
1 Posts
I have an X734 and I love the AWS. I only have 1.5 acres to mow but I have a lot of obstacles to navigate. The AWS completely eliminates have to back and 3 point around anything that a 2WS requires. It makes the job very quick and clean and the power steering makes it effortless. I use my machine strictly for lawn care duties where 4WD offers no benefits for my application so I can do without it. I have the odd time in the spring where I might break traction but the diff lock solves those occurrences just fine. As well, I have no issues with the rear steer wandering on the straight sections. I think keeping the rear steer linkage properly maintained is key. I can understand why some have no use for AWS steer if you have large acreage to mow and navigate it easily with 2WS, then what is the point? But for me, I love the AWS. I can navigate around trees that even a zero turn with a mid mount mower would struggle with.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
What maintenance do you have to do for the rear linkage? Do you have a few extra zerrks to grease?

·
Premium Member
96 Posts
What maintenance do you have to do for the rear linkage? Do you have a few extra zerrks to grease?

There's a zerk on each of the swivels inside the rear wheel rims for the rear wheel steer, not too difficult to access the zerk but learning to preen off the excess is a bit of a trick. Not difficult once you do it/figure it out, but the first couple of times I didn't follow where the excess was going and therefore had some extra grease on the insides of the rims, LOL. See also the U-joint on the PTO, LOL. Some feeling around that swivel for a new owner provides a bit of an education as to how that works out (DO NOT HAVE IT RUNNING AND HAVE ONE MOVE THE WHEEL WHILE DOING THIS), but once you know the trick it's really not much of an issue (again, u-joints on driveshafts are more challenging, one learns to grease this EVERY time one has the deck or implements removed, no joke). There's a bit of a "sway the steering this way" then "the other way" to access both sides and clean the excess, but as opined in The Longest Yard, once you've done it you never forget how :)

Reactions: papac0rn

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Not really I have a utv with a 6 foot blade.

Sent from my SM-G781U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
My dealer just told me they made configuration error. I cannot have an x750 with a 7 iron 60d deck. They've sent me a quote for it with the 60hc and a 1025r with a 60d deck. Looks like it's about a 2 to 3k price difference.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Taking the wife in tomorrow to test drive an x730. It's the only x700 they have. . . I have a quote so far for the x750 and x754. I have back pain so I've asked for the air seat and 60" hc deck. Is there anything else I should get bundled into the final price? Do I need gator blades or maybe the home maintenance kit? Looking at around 12,900 for the x750 and 13,500 for the 754. From what I can see that appears to be pretty good. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
The dealer should include a maintenance kit at no added cost

Reactions: papac0rn

·
Registered
449 Posts
I think the deck auto connect is one of the most useful accessories on my X739. Also really like the full time fixed mulch kit for dry season mowing.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Following this, as I am also moving from a Scag ZTR back to a tractor due to my back. I'm looking at an x590 since I only mow an acre but an x7 with an air seat sounds great!

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Following this, as I am also moving from a Scag ZTR back to a tractor due to my back. I'm looking at an x590 since I only mow an acre but an x7 with an air seat sounds great!
I believe the mounting base is the same and the air ride seat for the x7 can be directly bolted to an x5. You may just need to find a 12v power source to plug it into.

Not to talk you out of an x7 but no reason to get one just for the seat.

For all the power and awesomeness sure but not the seat.

·
Registered
147 Posts
I had an JD910a zero turn with 54" deck that I purchased new in 2010. Loved it, but my new house has hills that no matter what I did I could not stay on them. So I sold it and purchased a 2013 x754 with 60" deck and 192 hours on it off of marketplace for $8k in April 2020. Before I did, I test drove many different units including the new cub cadet commercial steering wheel units on my property but none of them held the hills like the x754. I have roughly 2 acres and I was worried about taking longer due to all the trees, over 60 mature oaks. Although it takes me 15 minutes longer to mow than the zero turn, it cut my weed eating/trimming down from 45 minutes to 15 minutes because the x754 goes down in the ditches and cuts the edge of the pond with zero trimming now. So, my worries were unfounded and I am glad I made the switch. The x754 has a 2 foot turning radius but the quickness of the hydrostat makes up for it. Each mower has its place. If I wouldn't have moved, I would have never had switched. I love the diesel and the sipping of fuel. I don't have the quick connect deck but it only takes a couple of minutes longer to take it off.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts