Green Tractor Talk banner

looking to upgrade my 2025 to a 2038

3K views 23 replies 6 participants last post by  dodgeman 
#1 ·
does the 2038 have the same hard to grease drive shaft between the engine and the transmission? any other problem areas with the 2038?, thanks

#2 ·
No, it’s a breeze to grease. Only quirks are a few bolts to keep an eye on that have been known to come loose. As you know, I just did the same 7 months ago and am still very pleased. Greasing the 2025 didn’t bother me, but I couldn’t get past that very limited Cat1 3 point and the FEL lift height.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#4 ·
Curious which 2025 you have, the pre 2018 or the later version 2018-2020.

#6 · (Edited)
Ok great, Thank you.
I use to have a 2038R.
I just bought a new 2020 model 2025R .
I believe they made a lot of changes to the current generation 2025R back in 2018.
I was just curious if the issues you had with your 2025 were going apply to current generation that I just bought. I don't think they would.

Reactions: wildbranch2007
#8 ·
I have a gen 1 2025r. I wanted the larger tires than a 1 series but didn't want to pay for a 2032r, but I wanted more performance than the Gen 2 2025r. So I had to go used Gen 1 2025r. The driveshaft is a pain to grease. But I have been able to make it a 45 minute job with the right tools. The Gen 1 2025r and the Gen 2 2025r are leaps and bounds different from a loader and 3 point capacity perspective.

Someone upgrading from a Gen 2 2025r to a 2038r is going to notice more in 3 point and loader performance than someone upgrading from a gen 1 2025r to a 2038r.

For Example:
3 point lift at 24"
Gen 1 2025R: 1150 LBS
Gen 2 2025R: 882 LBS
2038R: 1356 LBS

Height to loader Pin:
Gen 1 2025R: 78"
Gen 2 2025R: 72"
2038R: 85"

All that being said. My dream tractor is the 2032r. Everyone that upgrades is very happy to have made the change.

#11 ·
For Example:
3 point lift at 24"
Gen 1 2025R: 1150 LBS
Gen 2 2025R: 882 LBS
2038R: 1356 LBS

Height to loader Pin:
Gen 1 2025R: 78"
Gen 2 2025R: 72"
2038R: 85"
That says it all right there. JD missed the boat on the Gen2 2025R, I had one, it is a very capable tractor in it's own right. But FEL lift height is the same as the 1 series, and that limited Cat1 3 point, those were the two things I just could never get past. Someone said it in another thread, the new 2025R falls short of being a nice middle of the road tractor between the 1 series and the 32/38R, I agree with that. Even though I liked my 2025 I always considered it more of a 1 series + than a 2 series, still a very good tractor for some, just not for me.

#12 · (Edited)
That's what I had heard or read on here and seen in youtube videos is the Gen 2 2025R is really more like a 1R+ or 1.5R as some put it. Which for me that is what I was looking for.
I was in hopes the new 2020 1R and 2025R were getting the complete mid mount mower setup from the large frame 2Rs, but as I understand it only the 1R got the deck from the large frame 2Rs and the 2025R already had it. Either way I am just glad they offer the load n go for the 54" deck. That looks like a really handy feature for any of these machines with MMMs.

Reactions: PJR832
#9 ·
Main reason I didn't go back with another 2038R, was simply the physical size for the task I had planned for it. 2038R is really nice machine, no doubt about it.

This particular purchase started out looking at going back with new 1025R which I have also had before, and the Gen 2 2025R seemed to really resolve a lot of the problem/concerns I had before with things like ground clearance, 3pt lift height, that sort of thing. It also with the new 120R MSL loader gets the 2025R lift capacity very close to the 220R I had on my 2038R. Which granted I always thought it was short on lift capacity, so going with much less then that really was not all that appealing. So with the new 25% increased lift capacity the MSL version offered. The physical size very simmilar to the 1025. That's really why I am going 2025R this time. The 2038R is real nice machine.

Knowing what a big jump it was, from past experiences with our 1025 and trading it up to 2038 in terms of physical size and things like turning radius and that sort of thing.
The 2025R should get as close to a 2038 in capability while getting as close to a 1025 in physical size as I can get.

I am a bit concerned about that drive shaft grease issue with it taking 45 min to do. Wow, that does sound like a pain.

Reactions: PJR832
#10 ·
I'm upgrading for multiple reasons, the biggest is the front fitting, I read about it here, so at 50 hrs had JD do the fluids change and grease that one fitting. Not sure if they greased it as when I picked up the tractor, they said they cleaned up all the extra grease so it wouldn't make a mess. at 100 hrs, I spent a couple of days trying to grease it, not line it up, just get it to take grease including heating up the universal, was never sure I got any grease into it. So this year, I used a different color grease, spent multiple hours trying to get grease into it, I have no doubt that the universal doesn't take grease. I looked in my handy dandy diagnostics guide and can't find any section specifically that say's how to remove the drive shaft without splitting the tractor. I have looked at post on here of other closely related models that people have done it without splitting. Add on the fact that I really do hate the snow blower that's on it, even though it got better when someone recommended different bearings that do last longer. But I have a second old tractor with a larger snow blower, the older tractor has gotten cold blooded and is hard to start in the winter. I can replace it with the new tractor as if I need the bigger snow blower the new tractor can handle it, might look crazy at the end of the driveway with a snow blower on both ends. There is also a good possibility with the new snow blower being able to be raised higher that I won't need the old snow blower at all. The reason I originally went with the 2025 over the 1025 was the 1025 couldn't get up the ramp on my trailer and I bought it to move bee hives when needed. I retired from bees this year so I can go to a larger tractor as I don't need to conserve room on my trailer for the bee hives. And besides with all the staying at home working around the house, I want a new tractor :) I have a couple of other small complaints with the 2025 but that's the major ones

#13 ·
For anyone worried about the driveshaft greasing issue on a2025r it’s not that big a deal. Once you get it figured out the first time it goes quicker after that. I think I greased all of mine, including the end loader in about a half hour last time.

Reactions: cc1999
#14 ·
Correct, they are referring to the older 2025R/2320, they have the fitting that is near impossible to get too.

#15 ·
I haven't had a issue with Greasing the 2025R Gen II.

The Only thing I am Not thrilled about is the Limited Lift Hitch of the Cat 1 The Loader is Fine for My Use It does lift a Little More than a 120R on the 1 series. I don't need to carry round bales of hay several miles like PJR832 does! The Only Implement I have had issue with Is a one Row Cultivator. the 3point Hitch just doesn't give You enough Ground clearance with those about a 5inch clearance between shank & ground I supposed if I add a adjustable link On the Other 3point Arm I can get a little more clearance.

But other then that! I haven't had a issue with any other 3point Attachment I use. Now as I have said in another thread I need a backhoe while the 270B is great to mount & Use. It's not Great maneuvering for storage off the Tractor like the 260B is That is the other reason I went with a 2025R Gen II. Because Thanks to the BXpanded dolly I can store my backhoe In a small area off the tractor.

Now if somebody like BXpanded or some other aftermarket manufacture make's a dolly to maneuver the 270B off the tractor I would consider upgrading to a 2032R/2038R just for the greater 3 point lift height. Though it would probably still be to big for my needs on 3.9 acre

I think eventually in 5 or 6 years Deere will Come out with another 2025R(Gen II) size Tractor with a full Cat 1 Then I will upgrade and I bet it will have a higher capacity loader as well . The 3point was the only disappointing thing Deere did on the update for me Because the Previous Gen I 2025R was about the same size and it had a full Cat 1 lift height.

Not that I mowed much with it but when I did mow with it. I liked the Independent Mid Hydraulic mower lift because at the time if was a upgrade over the 1 series Independent Mid hydraulic mower lift Because the 2025R(Gen II) Hydraulic control actually held the deck up with out having to touch the Mower deck depth stop which I had to do with my 2017 1025R. Deere has since fixed that On the 1 series so it just like it is on the 2025R Gen II
(y)

Reactions: cc1999 and PJR832
#16 ·
I see guys talk about getting the hydraulic lift vs the mechanical lift that works off the 3pt.
I did the hydraulic lift on my 3033R and later my 3039R, I really hated that I lost a hydraulic svc function every time put the deck on the tractor. especially since it was a loader function so my grapple, 4 in 1 bucket capability etc. etc.
I went mechanical lift on the new 2025R, I didn't want to loose a hydraulic function to run the deck. There was also no in between it was up or it was down, you couldn't feather it a bit like the mechanical lift.
Which is funny that its called that since its called an hydraulic lift on my X7s yet if you add a 3pt to an X7 the 3pt gets tied to the mower deck. LOL

What does everyone see, as the up side or the advantages to having the hydraulic mower lift vs the mechanical.
Maybe I am missing the boat here or something by not going that way again this time.

#18 ·
What does everyone see, as the up side or the advantages to having the hydraulic mower lift vs the mechanical.
The only advantage to hydraulic lift vs mechanical is that your 3 point can function independently from the mower lift, should the need arise.

I wanted to add something regarding my previous posts:
While I constantly say that the 2038 is a lot more tractor than the 2025, it does not come without a healthy price tag as well, so in every way of looking at it it should be a lot more tractor.

#17 ·
With mine, if I have the mower down a mow the ditch in front of my house as I drop down onto the ditch then climb up the other side, the three point arm will dig in. This is probably worse since I have a Pats Easy Change on the 3 point arms which makes them longer. I suppose if you go had a bagger on the back you might not want that going up and down with the deck also.

#19 ·
My reason for Going with the Hydraulic Independent lift was so I could mow down Garden residue and till In one Pass That way I have control of the tiller without moving the set height of the mowing deck. It's about the only time I use the Mowing deck (y)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.