Green Tractor Talk banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Premium Member
1025r with Mauser cab.
14,690 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After 26 years, I decided to list the 455 for sale. I had my sister list it on Wastebook Market Place as I don't and won't have an account on FB. I took the pictures and wrote the ad.

The 455 has clocked only 8 hours in the last 4 years, and those were with leaf pick up in the fall. Now i have a new MCS system on a new mower, so I won't be using the 455 for that any longer. Its a great machine and has served me extremely well. I have struggled for a long time whether to sell it or not. But I decided it just a shame to not use such a great machine which is so capable.

I listed the tractor with the 60" MMM and MC519 Cart as shown in the pictures. I also listed the snow blower and front quik tach hitch, front PTO shaft and rear weight bracket, along with Terra Grips. It was on FB for less than 8 hours and 5 inquiries. A very serious party who has "been looking to buy a 455 for some time" is coming tomorrow morning. I inquired with the guy coming tomorrow about his level of interest and he is "very serious and ready to buy".

I didn't schedule the other two who inquired after this first party for an appointment to see the machine, but assured them if the guy coming tomorrow doesn't buy it, I would contact them. One of the others who called asked me to contact him if the guy tomorrow doesn't commit to purchase and leave a deposit or payment, as he is ready to buy.

Perhaps by the end of the week, I will have reclaimed half of my storage barn and this equipment will have a new home. I haven't used the blower in probably 10 years and its been stored under the work bench on a dolly. The guy coming tomorrow is very familiar with the 4x5 machines and already has a 400, which he said his father is purchasing from him.

Its been a tough decision to sell this machine but I also either need to reclaim the storage space or purchase another building. I want this machine to go to a good home and someone who can appreciate it. Its been well maintained, but with any machine that is 25 years old, its going to need a little tinkering from time to time.

When I went out into the barn to start it and pull it out to wash the dust off, I turned the key and the second the glow plug light went out, the tractor started instantly. The last time it was run was in March or April of this year, when I put it back in the barn after I had it out and rebuilt the steering shaft and tightened up the steering so its like new again. I put a new steering shaft in it and new bushings and bearings. On these machines without a ROPS, etc. its common to use the steering wheel to help pull yourself on the tractor and over time, it loosens the steering up. Not any more, its like new again.......

I bought it new and its been running on treated diesel fuel and Amsoil Diesel oil for as long as I can recall. Sad to see it go, but It will make me happy knowing its being used and hopefully ends up in a home where its appreciated and put to use.

I am going to put new tires and tubes on the MC cart today, as they are slow leakers and I don't want the new owner to have to deal with those needing air from time to time, when he is ready to use it..............

The rear weight bracket has a vertical mounting post on the corner of it which is the rusty part of the bracket, because the light pole slides over the post. This is where I have a flashing safety light which is mounted on a pole that sticks up above your head when seated on the tractor, so its good for 360 degrees of visibility. The light pole also has a rear facing LED light on it, for seeing behind the tractor. I will take pictures of the this light set up before it goes to a new home, as this is an ideal way to add the safety light to this style of garden tractor without the ROPS, etc.

The light on the pole slides over the post on the rear weight bracket and pins to the rear bracket to hold it in place. I need to dig that light out for the next owner, as its a professional grade flashing safety light, which was nearly $280, but its the same as used on the state highway plow trucks, super bright. There is a plug on the back of the tractor to power the light.........

Tire Wheel Vehicle Automotive tire Plant
Automotive fuel system Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive exterior Automotive design
Wheel Tire Automotive tire Tread Vehicle
Wheel Tire Automotive tire Green Lawn mower
Wood Bumper Motor vehicle Automotive exterior Gas
Gas Tool Bumper Automotive tire Flooring

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
Wish my 445 looked that good.

·
Registered
4,117 Posts
You won't have to tell them it's been maintained very well they can see it with there own eyes👍

·
Premium Member
1025r with Mauser cab.
14,690 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
so it's sold?
Not yet, first serious prospect has an appointment tomorrow AM. If he chooses to not buy it, there are two others who I will call that have left messages and wanted to see it. Who ever gets out first with the $$$$ gets it. I had appointments this afternoon, plus I didn't want to schedule any visits until the tires were handled.

I did buy new tires for the MC cart today and new tubes. After watching how tough it is to work the tubes into the new tires (or old tires, for that matter.....) on the wheels, I am glad I paid someone to mount the new tires and tubes for me. Very little room to get the new tubes into the tires and not pinch the tube and also, get the valve stem lined up. Those tires are 4.1 x .3.5 - 4 as were the tubes. Got a pair of 4 plys mounted, with matching tubes and the labor etc. for right at $100 with tax.............

·
Registered
2015 2025r 62mmm h130 af10f plow forks 62 disc ripper and a woods m5 Dixie mower
1,194 Posts
After 26 years, I decided to list the 455 for sale. I had my sister list it on Wastebook Market Place as I don't and won't have an account on FB. I took the pictures and wrote the ad.

The 455 has clocked only 8 hours in the last 4 years, and those were with leaf pick up in the fall. Now i have a new MCS system on a new mower, so I won't be using the 455 for that any longer. Its a great machine and has served me extremely well. I have struggled for a long time whether to sell it or not. But I decided it just a shame to not use such a great machine which is so capable.

I listed the tractor with the 60" MMM and MC519 Cart as shown in the pictures. I also listed the snow blower and front quik tach hitch, front PTO shaft and rear weight bracket, along with Terra Grips. It was on FB for less than 8 hours and 5 inquiries. A very serious party who has "been looking to buy a 455 for some time" is coming tomorrow morning. I inquired with the guy coming tomorrow about his level of interest and he is "very serious and ready to buy".

I didn't schedule the other two who inquired after this first party for an appointment to see the machine, but assured them if the guy coming tomorrow doesn't buy it, I would contact them. One of the others who called asked me to contact him if the guy tomorrow doesn't commit to purchase and leave a deposit or payment, as he is ready to buy.

Perhaps by the end of the week, I will have reclaimed half of my storage barn and this equipment will have a new home. I haven't used the blower in probably 10 years and its been stored under the work bench on a dolly. The guy coming tomorrow is very familiar with the 4x5 machines and already has a 400, which he said his father is purchasing from him.

Its been a tough decision to sell this machine but I also either need to reclaim the storage space or purchase another building. I want this machine to go to a good home and someone who can appreciate it. Its been well maintained, but with any machine that is 25 years old, its going to need a little tinkering from time to time.

When I went out into the barn to start it and pull it out to wash the dust off, I turned the key and the second the glow plug light went out, the tractor started instantly. The last time it was run was in March or April of this year, when I put it back in the barn after I had it out and rebuilt the steering shaft and tightened up the steering so its like new again. I put a new steering shaft in it and new bushings and bearings. On these machines without a ROPS, etc. its common to use the steering wheel to help pull yourself on the tractor and over time, it loosens the steering up. Not any more, its like new again.......

I bought it new and its been running on treated diesel fuel and Amsoil Diesel oil for as long as I can recall. Sad to see it go, but It will make me happy knowing its being used and hopefully ends up in a home where its appreciated and put to use.

I am going to put new tires and tubes on the MC cart today, as they are slow leakers and I don't want the new owner to have to deal with those needing air from time to time, when he is ready to use it..............

The rear weight bracket has a vertical mounting post on the corner of it which is the rusty part of the bracket, because the light pole slides over the post. This is where I have a flashing safety light which is mounted on a pole that sticks up above your head when seated on the tractor, so its good for 360 degrees of visibility. The light pole also has a rear facing LED light on it, for seeing behind the tractor. I will take pictures of the this light set up before it goes to a new home, as this is an ideal way to add the safety light to this style of garden tractor without the ROPS, etc.

The light on the pole slides over the post on the rear weight bracket and pins to the rear bracket to hold it in place. I need to dig that light out for the next owner, as its a professional grade flashing safety light, which was nearly $280, but its the same as used on the state highway plow trucks, super bright. There is a plug on the back of the tractor to power the light.........

View attachment 811256 View attachment 811257 View attachment 811258 View attachment 811259 View attachment 811260 View attachment 811261
Yeah wow nice machine if your other buyer didn’t work out I might be interested but don’t really need the snow brower

·
Premium Member
1025r with Mauser cab.
14,690 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Here is the flashing safety light pole and rear LED for seeing behind the tractor which I mentioned. It mounts on the pipe welded to the right rear corner of the rear weight bracket. The wire runs down the center of the post pipe and the mount is open on the bottom of the pipe, to allow wires to be connected there. Those wires had a plug so I could remove the pole and unhook the light as needed.

The rear LED for seeing behind the tractor has a plug and was plugged into a 12v type rear outlet on the back of the tractor. Plugging into the rear outlet isn't hooked to the switch on the dash, where the flashing light is wired to the switch at the dash. Also, this safety light is not LED and it had enough amp draw that I put it on its own circuit with an inline fuse, etc.

I do know that this Whelen light is significantly brighter than the yellow safety light which came with the Mauser cab. But it also draws more power..........My wife liked the Whelen light on my tractor because the light from it "bounced off the houses windows" in the neighborhood so she could always tell where I was in the neighborhood when she looked down the street, even if I wasn't directly in sight.

This looks like the closest to the model I have with their new offerings. I remember this light was expensive when I bought it.....and it appears to continue to be the case........but they are very good products.

Automotive tire Road surface Street light Asphalt Wall
Automotive lighting Automotive tire Automotive parking light Line Gas

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
Here is the flashing safety light pole and rear LED for seeing behind the tractor which I mentioned. It mounts on the pipe welded to the right rear corner of the rear weight bracket. The wire runs down the center of the post pipe and the mount is open on the bottom of the pipe, to allow wires to be connected there. Those wires had a plug so I could remove the pole and unhook the light as needed.

The rear LED for seeing behind the tractor has a plug and was plugged into a 12v type rear outlet on the back of the tractor. Plugging into the rear outlet isn't hooked to the switch on the dash, where the flashing light is wired to the switch at the dash. Also, this safety light is not LED and it had enough amp draw that I put it on its own circuit with an inline fuse, etc.

I do know that this Whelen light is significantly brighter than the yellow safety light which came with the Mauser cab. But it also draws more power..........My wife liked the Whelen light on my tractor because the light from it "bounced off the houses windows" in the neighborhood so she could always tell where I was in the neighborhood when she looked down the street, even if I wasn't directly in sight.

This looks like the closest to the model I have with their new offerings. I remember this light was expensive when I bought it.....and it appears to continue to be the case........but they are very good products.

View attachment 811301 View attachment 811302
Whelen... great stuff!

A little off topic but years ago I remember a somewhat professional/scientific discussion (on a snow removal board) on the 'net about incandescent versus LED safety lighting.

Most everything is LED nowadays and/or flashing strobes but under certain conditions the wavelength or the speed the light wave travels or something else in an incandescent light makes it easier for our eye to pick it out over an LED.

Wish I had copied it since LEDs are the rage for obvious reasons but incandescents still have their place like in our dining room lamp.

Two thumbs up for doing the little things on that tractor, Sully. (y)(y)

·
Premium Member
1025r with Mauser cab.
14,690 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Whelen... great stuff!

A little off topic but years ago I remember a somewhat professional/scientific discussion (on a snow removal board) on the 'net about incandescent versus LED safety lighting.

Most everything is LED nowadays and/or flashing strobes but under certain conditions the wavelength or the speed the light wave travels or something else in an incandescent light makes it easier for our eye to pick it out over an LED.

Wish I had copied it since LEDs are the rage for obvious reasons but incandescents still have their place like in our dining room lamp.

Two thumbs up for doing the little things on that tractor, Sully. (y)(y)
Thanks......I don't like "surprises" (of the unpleasant kind....) so I do what's reasonable to avoid providing any unpleasant surprises to anyone I am selling my used stuff to.

In fact, I am also selling a Lx176 which I bought from my neighbor when he moved to a condo a few months ago. When he decided to sell the house, he contacted me about his John Deere because I always serviced it for him and taught him how to properly put the tire chains on it, etc. He had them on with a maze of bungee cords and one day a few winters ago, I was plowing the drive next to his when I noticed he was laying on the driveway next to his tractor.

Being that he could have fallen or who knows what, I drove over to see if he was ok. He was trying to un wind the tire chain which had come off the tire and was wrapped around the axle. Then I noticed he had 3 or 4 bungee cords wound into the chain mess...........

It turned out the chains were for a larger tire than he had and he was using the bungees to try and take the slack or I should say :"excessive slop" out of the chains. Instead, I brought him over to my garage and we cut the tire chains with bolt cutters and eliminated the excess, so they could be properly installed.

Anyways, I was looking over his tractor after I purchased it with the snow blower on it, and I found the manual lift seemed "difficult" to use. It turned out there is a broken "assist strap" which helps raise the blower. I ordered a new one from Deere about a month ago, and with the parts shortage, I am still waiting. The blower can be used, it will just raise easier once this cable assembly is replaced. I also ordered a new seat for it, as I don't like cracked seats.

The seat was nearly $300 from Deere and they now offer an "alternative" source, which was around $100. But the alternative isn't a correctly formed seat and its also different, in that its not molded the same way and it doesn't have the solid seat back, etc. The only benefit of the alternate is it isn't cracked, but I thought it looked cheap and frankly, doesn't look "Deere". So I decided to spring for the correct seat, as everything else on this machine is correct and original.

Here is a picture of the Lx I also just put on "Market Place" through my sister......It's a LOT smaller than the 455 and it takes me getting used to getting on and off it. But its a great running machine and is all original. I wouldn't be surprised if the LX had less than 150 total hours on it. Used to mow just 5 times on a lawn which was so small, it only took 10 minutes to mow it, the lawn was roughly 5,500 sq feet in total size..........

This will make a great riding snow blower for someone who has a typical residential driveway...........The tractor runs great and starts right up, etc. Its a single stage blower, but it still will do the job and get the driveway cleared..............

Wheel Tire Plant Vehicle Automotive tire

·
Registered
2015 2025r 62mmm h130 af10f plow forks 62 disc ripper and a woods m5 Dixie mower
1,194 Posts
Thanks......I don't like "surprises" (of the unpleasant kind....) so I do what's reasonable to avoid providing any unpleasant surprises to anyone I am selling my used stuff to.

In fact, I am also selling a Lx176 which I bought from my neighbor when he moved to a condo a few months ago. When he decided to sell the house, he contacted me about his John Deere because I always serviced it for him and taught him how to properly put the tire chains on it, etc. He had them on with a maze of bungee cords and one day a few winters ago, I was plowing the drive next to his when I noticed he was laying on the driveway next to his tractor.

Being that he could have fallen or who knows what, I drove over to see if he was ok. He was trying to un wind the tire chain which had come off the tire and was wrapped around the axle. Then I noticed he had 3 or 4 bungee cords wound into the chain mess...........

It turned out the chains were for a larger tire than he had and he was using the bungees to try and take the slack or I should say :"excessive slop" out of the chains. Instead, I brought him over to my garage and we cut the tire chains with bolt cutters and eliminated the excess, so they could be properly installed.

Anyways, I was looking over his tractor after I purchased it with the snow blower on it, and I found the manual lift seemed "difficult" to use. It turned out there is a broken "assist strap" which helps raise the blower. I ordered a new one from Deere about a month ago, and with the parts shortage, I am still waiting. The blower can be used, it will just raise easier once this cable assembly is replaced. I also ordered a new seat for it, as I don't like cracked seats.

The seat was nearly $300 from Deere and they now offer an "alternative" source, which was around $100. But the alternative isn't a correctly formed seat and its also different, in that its not molded the same way and it doesn't have the solid seat back, etc. The only benefit of the alternate is it isn't cracked, but I thought it looked cheap and frankly, doesn't look "Deere". So I decided to spring for the correct seat, as everything else on this machine is correct and original.

Here is a picture of the Lx I also just put on "Market Place" through my sister......It's a LOT smaller than the 455 and it takes me getting used to getting on and off it. But its a great running machine and is all original. I wouldn't be surprised if the LX had less than 150 total hours on it. Used to mow just 5 times on a lawn which was so small, it only took 10 minutes to mow it, the lawn was roughly 5,500 sq feet in total size..........

This will make a great riding snow blower for someone who has a typical residential driveway...........The tractor runs great and starts right up, etc. Its a single stage blower, but it still will do the job and get the driveway cleared..............

View attachment 811388
Do you have a mower deck for it

·
Premium Member
1025r with Mauser cab.
14,690 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Nice. I'd come look but I'm a little far lol. And wouldn't need a snow blower. Hope to find one as nice as yours down here. Glws
I recently was talking to a guy who lives here in the summer months and winters in your town. I was at my buddies small engine / sales and service shop and as usual, they were busy so I waited on this guy to help my friend out......

This gentleman was telling me that Naples recently passed a ban on all gas powered leaf blowers and it sounded like string trimmers, etc as well. He was saying he attended the public meeting on the matter and the big push was on all commercial companies (and others, it sounded like) to eliminate their two stroke engines and use battery powered equipment only.

I have a 58v Echo battery blower and its fine for cleaning out the garage, but I sure wouldn't want to have to use it exclusively on outside leaf and grass clean up. It simply isn't practical to expect the back pack blowers to be immediately replaced with the battery blower technology which is presently available.

I have the 58v Echo "Power Head", which uses the same tools as the 2 stroke power head, which is a wonderful feature and benefit. I love the 58v string trimmer and even the 58v chain saw, as its very handy to use. But I sure would miss my Echo Backpack blowers for the actual clean up of grass, leaves, etc.

With my backpack blower, I can usually clean pavement with the blower at idle or slightly above it, its so powerful. Only when I am moving mountains of debris, do I need to run the backpack blower at WOT. This is the back pack blower I use and really like......sure hope its not outlawed in our area any time soon................

I don't have a deck, but I have found the 38" deck which goes on it, actually up near your area in Wayland........I do have the rear material collection system for the 38" deck. with the rear mount, chute for the 38" deck and also 2 material bags in great shape. Would LOVE to sell this as I have to move it every time I get my ExMark out of the storage barn based upon too much stuff in to little space............... :LOL:

Reactions: gdow

·
Premium Member
1025r with Mauser cab.
14,690 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Have you decided about the 2025r which you were considering down the road from your place? Also, have you listed your 1025r on Facebook Market Place? Just make sure you are ready to sell it if you do list it on there, as the price you had it listed at on GTT for sale, I would think it would sell quickly.

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
I just listed it on market place I had a few offers on it I really like the 2520 I looked at the other day at Burnips equipment but no mower deck also have a offer to trade in it for a 4520
Have you decided about the 2025r which you were considering down the road from your place? Also, have you listed your 1025r on Facebook Market Place? Just make sure you are ready to sell it if you do list it on there, as the price you had it listed at on GTT for sale, I would think it would sell quickly.

·
Premium Member
1025r with Mauser cab.
14,690 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I just listed it on market place I had a few offers on it I really like the 2520 I looked at the other day at Burnips equipment but no mower deck also have a offer to trade in it for a 4520
Sounds like you will have lots of choices. Have you decided what to do yet?

There is a guy in Wayland who sells used equipment and has mower decks often for a variety of John Deere mowers and tractors. He has a listing on Craigslist usually and he has a website but I can't find the link right now.....

That's weird, I have a saved link on my computer for "36 D bra fitment options"......Sure don't recall ever going to that site.......Hmmmm............Maybe I should check it out.....or maybe not........... :unsure:o_O

·
Premium Member
9,813 Posts
My JD 295 was with me for 27 years. It did not look as good as your 455, but still worked as it should. It was stolen in 2017. Probably sold for to buy drugs, or painted flat black and being used to tend "weed" in the woods somewhere.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.