Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was loading my tires tonight with WWS.

Lifted the left rear, pulled the stem core.

Kitty litter bucket full of WWS and a Harbor Freight hand pump got 28 gallons into the tire in about 2 hours of pumping (got my arm and shoulder workout!).

Every 3 gallons or so I would stop pumping and remove the hose from the valve stem to let the pressure out of the tire to make the pumping easier.

Aired the tire back up to 25 lbs.

Repeated on the right side...got about 12 gallons in and a thunderstorm blew in. I had to run for cover inside for about 10 minutes.

Once the weather cleared I went back out and the tire was just hanging on the rim...lost the bead! :(

This is going to be interesting trying to reseat this bugger :(

5 Series Deere with 14.9x28 Ag tire.

·
Administrator
17,260 Posts
Do you have the tire completely off the ground? When I did mine, I had the first one up off the ground, but noticed it seemed to be stretching so I lowered it down so some of the weight was on the ground.

·
Super Moderator
7,911 Posts
You may be able to wrap a ratchet strap around the circumference of the tire and tighten it to assist with reseating the bead. Of course the tractor will have to be lifted to remove all weight from the tire.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Do you have the tire completely off the ground? When I did mine, I had the first one up off the ground, but noticed it seemed to be stretching so I lowered it down so some of the weight was on the ground.
I was laying in bed last night, re-creating the evening's work and I came to the conclusion that I did have the first tire resting on the ground to keep the weight of the fluid from pulling on the bead...but I forgot to drop the second tire down before I started loading.

D'oh! This is a lesson I wish I could have learned another way!

I am going to try the ratchet strap trick.

Do you all think I should have a bit of weight on the tire as I cinch the strap, or have it completely airborne?

·
Administrator
17,260 Posts
Do you all think I should have a bit of weight on the tire as I cinch the strap, or have it completely airborne?
I would guess weight on the tire will help so it's not pulling the top, but I've never had to do it on a tractor-only laying down.

·
Registered
4,954 Posts
Try both ways

I would guess weight on the tire will help so it's not pulling the top, but I've never had to do it on a tractor-only laying down.
I've done it with smaller tires completely off the ground so I could work the tire but those were lighter, smaller tires. I'd try it that way and if no go, slowly ease it down until it looks like you have a uniform start to seating it. Watch your fingers around the bead.

Treefarmer

·
Registered
532 Posts
I damaged the valve stem on a front tire on my 580 Case TLB. I managed to break the bead and install a new valve stem, but that's where I was stopped. I had a ratchet strap rated for 8,000 pounds around the outside of the tire...no luck! I finally took it to a tire shop. They tried several times to catch the bead, with no luck. They finally got this "thing" (I call a Blaster) and caught the bead on the second attempt.

A "Blaster" is a 5 gal tank, or a propane size tank, with a valve, a 2" discharge, and a thin, flared end on the discharge. Fill it with 100psi, stick it at the edge of the tire/rim, and open valve. BANG, and a loud bang! In less than a second the tank is empty and the bead is caught!! A little pricey, but Northern Tool (search "bead seater") has them for $100. If nothing else works, this is an option! Bob

·
Registered
3,228 Posts
Starting fluid and a lit rag on a stick. lol
Definitely take the weight off the tire.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
It took great gobs of grease around the perimeter to seal the bead, plus a blaster.

16.9x28 Ag tire is no joke! :laugh:

When I resumed filling the second tire, I decided to never let the tire get below 5 psi...even though it was a little more work for me to hand pump the fluid with my $9 Harbor Freight pump!

Thanks for the tips guys!

Tim

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
After a bit of delay, I finally finished pumping the last of 75 gallons of windshield washer solution into my rear tires.

They are at about 50%, so not only did I add about 600 pounds of ballast, I lowered the center of gravity some.

Still waiting for Deere to deliver the backhoe. Paid for it 4 weeks ago!

Loader is installed and have the box blade and boom pole. I'm ready to get this puppy on the property in MO and start working!

My house is 3 miles from the dealer in suburban NW Houston and my only driving so far has been two trips between the house and the dealer...the last one during rush hour! :scared:

Tim

1 - 11 of 11 Posts