Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My GT 235 which I bought in Oregon was being hauled to Idaho and a big wind gust in the Columbia River Gorge blew the hood off. That news did not make my day. Now I need to find a replacement hood which will not be fun or cheap. A new one can be bought off E-Bay located in New York for around $135 plus $35 delivery but would rather find a used one in decent shape for less. Any links to JD garden tractor wrecking yards out there? Thanks

·
Super Moderator
2,699 Posts
It's always a good practice to secure hoods on tractors when transporting on an open trailer or in a bed of a truck. Using bungie straps or small ratchet straps do find. Just be sure not to get them too tight to where they may damage the hood. Also, never, I repeat, never load a tractor on a truck or trailer backwards. This almost always result in the air drag getting underneath the hood and lifting them. Always drive or load the tractor face forward, that provides better protection against air drag as you go down the highway.

·
Registered
2,149 Posts
That stinks....
Ebay and search tempest/craigslist would be my choices

:wgtt:

·
GTT's Pilot in Command (PIC)
8,558 Posts
If you had someone else hauling the tractor for you, they should stand the cost of replacement, IMO.

:gtfam:

·
Super Moderator
2,699 Posts
That price and shipping cost is pretty reasonable. I don't know if you will find one cheaper for that tractor.

·
Premium Member
6,593 Posts
That price and shipping cost is pretty reasonable. I don't know if you will find one cheaper for that tractor.
Exactly what I was thinking. You be best getting it before someone else does.

·
Bonehead Club Lackey
10,204 Posts
:wgtt: Good luck. Pics...:munch:

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I am not the one who hauled it..

It's always a good practice to secure hoods on tractors when transporting on an open trailer or in a bed of a truck. Using bungie straps or small ratchet straps do find. Just be sure not to get them too tight to where they may damage the hood. Also, never, I repeat, never load a tractor on a truck or trailer backwards. This almost always result in the air drag getting underneath the hood and lifting them. Always drive or load the tractor face forward, that provides better protection against air drag as you go down the highway.
..and the guy who did should know better since he hauls equipment back and forth between Seattle and Boise

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
More lost hood on GT 235 info

Well, my poor GT 235 was delivered today and now I need to decide to buy a new hood or have the local sheet metal shop build one for me. I do not have a manual for this but would like to know if this particular model had a 2 piece hood, one for the sides and then one for the top? Any body out there own a GT 235?

The guy who delivered it feels pretty bad about what happened and he knows a guy that has a lot of these types of garden tractors that he parts out and will try to find me a compatible top. If I bought a two piece side and top package it will cost over $500 and that is what I paid for the whole tractor including a JD tow behind sprayer and tilt wagon. It has a mower deck and I have an almost new 30" rototiller that is designed to fit this model. That is actually why I bought this model so it would fit the tiller I had.

Ground is froze here and will be for another month so have some time to find used parts or have a sheet metal hood made for it. Any idea where I could get a manual for this model, do you think they could be downloaded from somewhere ? I doubt if the Dealer sells these since I think this is around 15 years old

·
Administrator
17,327 Posts
Well, my poor GT 235 was delivered today and now I need to decide to buy a new hood or have the local sheet metal shop build one for me. I do not have a manual for this but would like to know if this particular model had a 2 piece hood, one for the sides and then one for the top? Any body out there own a GT 235?

The guy who delivered it feels pretty bad about what happened and he knows a guy that has a lot of these types of garden tractors that he parts out and will try to find me a compatible top. If I bought a two piece side and top package it will cost over $500 and that is what I paid for the whole tractor including a JD tow behind sprayer and tilt wagon. It has a mower deck and I have an almost new 30" rototiller that is designed to fit this model. That is actually why I bought this model so it would fit the tiller I had.

Ground is froze here and will be for another month so have some time to find used parts or have a sheet metal hood made for it. Any idea where I could get a manual for this model, do you think they could be downloaded from somewhere ? I doubt if the Dealer sells these since I think this is around 15 years old
FYI, I moved this post to the other thread you started-keeps continuity that way.

I can't imagine having a shop make a hood would be cheaper than $170 new one you found on eBay, and certainly not be better looking.

·
Registered
3,859 Posts

If you go to this link

John Deere Ag - New Equipment: Technical Publications - Equipment List

it will show you the options you need to select to be able to see the manual for the GT 235. There are different engine choices here.

Dave

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Total cost would be over $500

FYI, I moved this post to the other thread you started-keeps continuity that way.

I can't imagine having a shop make a hood would be cheaper than $170 new one you found on eBay, and certainly not be better looking.
The person I bought it from said it is a 2 piece unit, (Both pieces blew off)..the lower half is around $250 so for both halves plus shipping would be around $500. There is a local heating company with a side sheet metal business and they are real reasonable. I know it would not look as pretty as a fiberglass original equipment replacement but I just want to protect the engine and wiring from weather.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Why didn't the shippers insurance cover this for you?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
The guy hauling it was a neighbor..

Why didn't the shippers insurance cover this for you?
He was hauling a trailer back from Portland to Idaho and said he could get it for me. He is not a hauler for hire, just bringing back his trailer, figured it would save me $200 in fuel and mileage on my diesel and 2 days time. Ii was going to give him a $00 for bringing it, obviously that fee was waived and hindsight being 20/20, wish now I would have hauled it myself but I am sure everyone has had a problem on the road with things like this.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Yeah, that is where I got some prices..

Did you check out e-bay? you never know, one may suddenly come up.
..These are for new parts but I will keep an eye out for used parts every week and start making some cardboard mock-ups to take in to the sheet metal shop. With some riveting and fiberglass in curved areas, I think I can build something that looks decent and main thing, functional. I just had them build a cover for a track hoe and they were able to roll it so it was rounded, came out looking quite nice. It was 4' long and 18" wide, heavy gauge sheet metal and charged me only $33.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I am missing both hoods, this is just the top..

Green Farm Parts has that hood on sale for $150 and free shipping John Deere Hood AM132529
Thanks for the info but the GT 235 has a second side hood which is tied to the top hood you are seeing. the side hood costs an additional $200 + on E-Bay so the price for the whole system with shipping is going to cost at least $400.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts