Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Under the axle (where the grease fitting is), and also all over (what appears to be) the hydraulic cylinder that controls the steering. I reached up and around the axle and wiped off lots of grease. I don't see anything, but could a hose have started leaking, or perhaps just excess grease? I only have 10 hours on it (about the 6th time I've used it...bought new last fall). I noticed it cause I always remove as much grass as possible from under the deck after mowing. Never noticed any grease before today, let alone a good amount. Took 2 rags to clean it all up. Thanks for any suggestions....

·
Premium Member
10,725 Posts
What model tractor do you have? Was it grease or oil that seemed to be leaking?

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Just occurred to me that I forgot to mention the model...came back to edit but you beat me to it with the question :) X590....looked like grease to me....a big blob of it was all over the cylinder near bottom of the tractor..that particular deposit looked clean and brownish colored - as if just shot out of a gun. Then, when I started wiping up further around and above the axle, then it was darker, more black - but still definitely grease. Oil level has not changed since I started using the tractor - still full to the top (actually reads a bit over-full on the gauge).

·
Premium Member
10,725 Posts
It could have been a blob of grease from the front axle pivot point. If that area is over greased a blob can develop above the axle and later drop down.

Wipe away any excess in that area and monitor. The appearance of grease is less of a concern than leaking oil.

·
Super Moderator
4,850 Posts
There are only 3 points anywhere near the front axle where grease could come from that I can see. You've got a rubber/plastic "cap" at the top of the spindles at each end of the axle and you have the center bolt that runs right through the middle of the axle. You can check the nut on that center bolt and make sure it's properly snugged. The spindles just have a snap ring holding them in place but check that the caps aren't torn (or missing!).

1 - 6 of 6 Posts