Green Tractor Talk banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All!

I am looking for some advice regarding my 2020 2038R tractor. I took possession of the unit in late September of 2020 and have had many issues with it since. Overr the past 10 months it has gone back to the dealer 7 times to resolve 6 issues. I ordered it with the 220R loader and 72" MMM with CommandCut.
1. Faulty Mower Deck/Command Cut actuator motor - threw error message and beeped
2. Bent loader parking stand - right side latch wouldn't stay locked under some loads and still doesn't after stand replacement
3. Right rear wheel came off - bolts sheared off
4-6. Mower deck - various bolts and support pieces have failed or gone missing

The dealer has been very responsive and covered everything under warranty, but I would estimate that in the 10 months I have owned it, it has been in the shop for 2 months collectively.

The dealer has indicated that for each issue there wasn't any maintenance step I missed and it doesn't appear I used the tractor for something it wasn't designed for. They originally thought I bent the loader, but later backtracked and indicated the parking stand was bad. All issues except for the loader are now resolved for the time being. The loader right latch will still regularly come off, even under light load. The dealer has indicated they can't replicate the issue and if i'm not happy with the loader performance I can replace it at my own expense.

I like the 2038R model and it's capabilities, but the constant situation of going to use it and finding a problem have become quite annoying and I'm not sure what to do. Three of the seven times I have gone to mow this summer I have been unable to continue and have had to wait until the issues were resolved. I use the tractor on my small acreage mostly for mowing with the occasional gravel drive leveling, dirt work or brush pile moving. Nothing it isn't marketed as being able to do. So far I have put 150 hours on it, but expect that to drop down to 75-100 hours/year once all of my "backlogged" projects are complete.

I have asked the dealership's service manager why I am having so many issues, as my research online doesn't seem to support these issues being common. The dealership has not had any feedback for me or advice to mitigate future issues.

While I have another 5+ years of warranty, I am wondering if I should just cut my losses and order a different unit.

Thoughts? Has anyone else been in this same situation?

·
Registered
2,741 Posts
Wow! hate to hear all these problems. Make sure you keep all service documents. If the dealer can't fix all these issues, escalate your complaints up the ladder. It could be quality issues in manufacturing but its also possible that the techs at the dealership aren't doing so well either.

Welcome to GTT!

·
Premium Member
2020 1025R, 120R, 54D
3,176 Posts
The only common issue you seem to have is the Command Cut. Lots of issues with that it seems.

The other seem random, especially the loader. While people have had loose or missing fasteners, they seem to be the exception rather than the norm.

The loader appears to be the most worriesome. Has the dealer checked to make sure its not bent? Certainly sounds like something out of whack, especially hearing about the bent parking stand.

·
Premium Member
3,458 Posts
Mine was in the shop last weekend because of a Command Cut problem. I was lucky it was just out of adjustment. I got it back last Friday and mowed Saturday and it worked fine. My loader stand came apart but i was able to fix it by watching TTWT video. Mine has about the same amount of hours and that's really the only problems i have had. Good luck i hope the 2038 straightens out for you

·
Registered
39 Posts
Your right rear wheel fell off due to bolts shearing? That would concern me the most as that's a potential tip-over. Did you get any explanation as to why this happened?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Wow! hate to hear all these problems. Make sure you keep all service documents. If the dealer can't fix all these issues, escalate your complaints up the ladder. It could be quality issues in manufacturing but its also possible that the techs at the dealership aren't doing so well either.

Welcome to GTT!
Thanks Jimmy! I just got another error code regarding the Command Cut system tonight. I think I will go talk to the dealership manager this week and see what he has to say

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The only common issue you seem to have is the Command Cut. Lots of issues with that it seems.

The other seem random, especially the loader. While people have had loose or missing fasteners, they seem to be the exception rather than the norm.

The loader appears to be the most worriesome. Has the dealer checked to make sure its not bent? Certainly sounds like something out of whack, especially hearing about the bent parking stand.
Thanks Mark. The dealer originally told me that I bent the loader and it's not covered by warranty. They offered to take it to a welder in town and get it "unbent" at my expense so I agreed, (cheaper than a new loader). The welder inspected it and told the dealer it was the parking stand that was bent, not the loader frame - so the dealer replaced the parking stand under warranty. Nevertheless, I continue to have the right side latch come up under load. The dealer re-inspected it and said they couldn't reproduce the latch issue but if I was having issues and thought it was bent I could replace the entire loader, nothing more they could do however.

·
Premium Member
9,325 Posts
Wow. I bought one the first ones out which is not supposed to be a good thing, yet it has never been back to the dealer and while there have a been a few loose bolts nothing else, no loose bolts on the deck though. I suspect the command cut is something they just don't have set right. You sound like you have been a good customer and the dealer has also been good. I am sure with that combination things will get better but I understand that would be a bad feeling.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Your right rear wheel fell off due to bolts shearing? That would concern me the most as that's a potential tip-over. Did you get any explanation as to why this happened?
Hi John. Unfortunately the dealer did not have any insight for me as to why the bolts sheared off. They did say it wasn't something they see often, which is good to hear. The tractor did tip a little when it happened but I caught it soon enough that the wheel just rolled back a little and rested under the fender. The dealer did indicate that I should have them torque the bolts when the tractor is in for service (although they missed doing so when it was in recently).

·
Registered
946 Posts
Hmmmm.... perhaps call JD Customer Satisfaction or whatever it's called and see if they might be willing to get that thing replaced. Or just talk to the area/district sales rep.

Or just keep it.... eventually the faulty stuff will all be replaced.

·
Premium Member
16,467 Posts
Hi John. Unfortunately the dealer did not have any insight for me as to why the bolts sheared off. They did say it wasn't something they see often, which is good to hear. The tractor did tip a little when it happened but I caught it soon enough that the wheel just rolled back a little and rested under the fender. The dealer did indicate that I should have them torque the bolts when the tractor is in for service (although they missed doing so when it was in recently).
Most Operator's Manuals have a service interval to check/tighten the wheel bolts after the initial 10 hours of operation. The Gen-1 2-series manuals all contain this step. Oddly, in the Gen-2 2-series manuals the only wheel bolt check is every 200 hours - no initial check. On most new machines, if the wheel bolts are going to loosen it will be within the first few hours of operation. So why did JD do away with the initial checks on the newer machines?

·
Registered
727 Posts
right side latch wouldn't stay locked under some loads and still doesn't after stand replacement
Thoughts? Has anyone else been in this same situation?
if they find a fix for this please post, I've had my tractor for less than a year, tried to use the loader for the first time with the bucket, the left side latch won't stay locked. When you take off the loader and put it back on, do your latches fail to stay open when you put them up, that's another problem I'm having on both sides. I also notice that the tower on the left side, the side that doesn't stay latched shakes while loading the bucket, the right side is fine. Mine just happened yesterday, I was going to check the bolts on that side to make sure they aren't loose. The JD Teck is due back to fix a hydraulic problem so I was going to wait to see what he has to say, but it does give you pause when you have a load in the bucket and only have the one connection.

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
43,452 Posts
While I have another 5+ years of warranty, I am wondering if I should just cut my losses and order a different unit.
I'd find a different dealer.

·
Premium Member
Unit
173 Posts
Per my 2021 2028r owners manual; Page 280-1.
we're supposed to check (owners) torque on our lug nuts after the first hour of operation and every 4 hours until they hold proper torque between checks. In addition, we're supposed to check all bolts for tightness/torque after the first 10 hours. Then per the maintenance schedule check wheel torque every 200 hours.

from the GTT forums, I've adopted a maintenance task to check all bolts for tightness every 10 hours until I don't find anything loose, then I'll probably push it out to 50 or so hours.

Apparently, JD doesn't believe in lock washers (split washers are NOT locking washers), thread locker, or castle nuts with wire; all of which are proven to prevent fasteners from becoming loose under typical conditions.
To be fair; adding grease/oil to a fastener and re-torquing does generally result in a tight fastener but sometimes requires multiple re-torque until the fastener actually stays put under heavy vibration heat/cold conditions.

I'll be sending an email to JD to ask if using thread locker or adding lock washers will violate the warranty.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
if they find a fix for this please post, I've had my tractor for less than a year, tried to use the loader for the first time with the bucket, the left side latch won't stay locked. When you take off the loader and put it back on, do your latches fail to stay open when you put them up, that's another problem I'm having on both sides. I also notice that the tower on the left side, the side that doesn't stay latched shakes while loading the bucket, the right side is fine. Mine just happened yesterday, I was going to check the bolts on that side to make sure they aren't loose. The JD Teck is due back to fix a hydraulic problem so I was going to wait to see what he has to say, but it does give you pause when you have a load in the bucket and only have the one connection.
I do have all of those issues with my loader at least occasionally. I have noticed since it went into the dealer the first time the loader arms seem to shake more. I have gotten comfortable with moving loads when my right latch is not fully engaged, but as you said, it does give me pause and I watch it very closely.

·
Premium Member
16,467 Posts
we're supposed to check (owners) torque on our lug nuts after the first hour of operation and every 4 hours until they hold proper torque between checks. In addition, we're supposed to check all bolts for tightness/torque after the first 10 hours. Then per the maintenance schedule check wheel torque every 200 hours.
Yep! You are correct. This is listed in the "Wheels and Tires Maintenance" chapter, NOT on the maintenance interval chart (duh!). I stand corrected, thanks for pointing this info out.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

from the GTT forums, I've adopted a maintenance task to check all bolts for tightness every 10 hours until I don't find anything loose, then I'll probably push it out to 50 or so hours.

Apparently, JD doesn't believe in lock washers (split washers are NOT locking washers), thread locker, or castle nuts with wire; all of which are proven to prevent fasteners from becoming loose under typical conditions.
To be fair; adding grease/oil to a fastener and re-torquing does generally result in a tight fastener but sometimes requires multiple re-torque until the fastener actually stays put under heavy vibration heat/cold conditions.

I'll be sending an email to JD to ask if using thread locker or adding lock washers will violate the warranty.
Hi Jermo,

Interestingly my 2020 owners manual does mention anything regarding initial torquings, just every 200 hours. The dealership has indicated that with wheel spacers it should be every 100 hours however. I check all of the suspect bolts every 50 hours and have never found anything loose, which is why it amazes me how some can go from fully torqued to loose enough to fall out/off in a very short period of time. My dealer has indicated they may have failed to put loctite on some of the mower deck and CommandCut bolts which have been a problem, however, they continue to tell me there isn't anything specific I should be doing to prevent these issues or future issues. Last time it was for service in I asked them to check all bolts and apply loctite to those which Deere specs call for. They indicated they would but I continue to have issues. As you mentioned, I will be asking them if I can apply my own loctite when needed.

·
Premium Member
16,467 Posts
It looks like there are no split washers because the wheel bolts have tapered heads (see below) and the wheels have tapered holes to match. The Gen-1 2-series used straight bolts with split washers.

·
Premium Member
16,467 Posts
Hi Jermo,

Interestingly my 2020 owners manual does mention anything regarding initial torquings, just every 200 hours.
I'll bet it does. ;-) Check the sectioned entitled "Wheel and Tire Maintenance". They threw owners a curve by not including it on the maintenance interval chart.

·
Premium Member
4,330 Posts
The dealer has been very responsive and covered everything under warranty
Almost everything you mentioned except for the linear actuator I think has more to do with dealer prep than mother Deere.

Wow. I bought one the first ones out which is not supposed to be a good thing, yet it has never been back to the dealer
I did as well and the only time mine has been back was my fault. But I bet it's because we have great dealers and they know how to assemble them when they get them in.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts