Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Chief Stick-picker-upper
11,284 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Generally, Crawfish season runs from January through June when harvested in the wild, but that all depends on the weather. Pond harvested Crawfish can begin as early as mid-November, and last until mid, to late July.

With most of the southern part of Louisiana beginning the Crawfish Harvesting Season now, I thought some of you may be interested in how Crawfish is harvested in Louisiana. Although Crawfish can be harvested in flood-ways and swamps, the video below is of Pond Harvesting in flooded fields.

Enjoy.

·
Corndog Hater
11,688 Posts
We grilled steaks one night this week. My oldest son isn't a fan so I made a couple crab legs for him. Not enough meat for the work was my exact thought. The crawfish looked like the meat came out somewhat easier. Crab cakes are great though!

·
Registered
12,318 Posts
I have never tried these little criters:dunno: they look good-kinda. when i worked down next to Washington D.C, i nick named one fella (crawl dad) might of been some of old cajuns relation-i don't know:lolol: he acted a lot like old cajun:lol: he was from dowwn that way(louisanna) he ran our one little dragline with a clam busting stumps and feeding the fire pit. he even made me a nice hitch for my old ford f-250 to haul my wrecked car back home. he always wanted us to try them things too. i prefer red meat and white meat. :lolol:

·
Bonehead Club Lackey
10,265 Posts
It was made once when we were down there. Very good but I stayed hungry during the whole time I was eating. Never did get full, just got tired of eating them. Think I ate for an hour. They are very good when made to your taste. :bigthumb:

·
Old Pa-pa
11,752 Posts
I might be one of the few Cajuns that don't like crawfish that much.
Shrimp good, crabs good, but crawfish, not so much. :dunno:

·
Administrator
17,976 Posts
Eating/Picking crabs (and I assume it's much the same for crawfish) is more of a social event rather than a meal, you pick, you eat, you gossip, and you drink-then repeat many times over.

·
Chief Stick-picker-upper
11,284 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Eating/Picking crabs (and I assume it's much the same for crawfish) is more of a social event rather than a meal, you pick, you eat, you gossip, and you drink-then repeat many times over.
Removing the tail meat from boiled, or steamed Crawfish is much, much easier than picking meat from crab parts.

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
Removing the tail meat from boiled, or steamed Crawfish is much, much easier than picking meat from crab parts.

That's definitely true. The ones I have had have been pretty small though. If I could get big ones like in the video, I may feel differently. I'm still pretty lazy though, someone else doing the work of peeling them will always be my choice!

·
Administrator
17,976 Posts
Understood, I've eaten both :good2:

·
Bonehead Club Lackey
10,265 Posts
Never cared for crab legs. To many long thin bone parts in them and not enough meat. Lobster is my choice but my wife doesn't care for it. I always thought of crawdads as mini lobsters. In the creek we had as a kid we called crawdads, crabs. Didn't know back then we could eat them or how to fix'em. We'd chase em and play with them and then let them go. "Course we played with water moccasins too. Amish kids, well me, didn't know what to leave alone but we knew what shouldn't bite us. Snakes didn't like us kids. Don't know why they didn't want to play with us?! :laugh: With no electric and all the toys kids have now days we made our own entertainment so we played with snakes and crabs ect. :dunno: :unknown: :laugh:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts