Green Tractor Talk banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My new 1025R arrived this afternoon. While I was doing a small grass mowing job for the sales representative, Iran the mower over the same course that I ran my little craftsman mower last year. I try to make a nice close cut near a big cedar tree. Check out the picture - those branches used to point up to the sky. Sure put a big mess on my brand new tractor. Oh well . . .
Plant Natural landscape Tree Land lot Terrestrial plant

·
Registered
931 Posts
Since I got my chipper, I am trimming all the trees along my Driveway to 14+ feet and the trees in the mowing area to 7-8'. Only some trees that have branches and needles thick enough that I don't trim close to are spared.

·
Registered
1,464 Posts
It has to be that high to protect your head in case of a rollover. When you get a chance, take a 9 foot long board or piece of PVC pipe and lay it from the top center of the ROPS to the top center of the grille guard. Then hop in the seat and see how little clearance there will be between your noggin and the ground if you ever go wrong side up.

I'd take a pic of my 1025R but I have the canopy on. Maybe someone can post one.

·
Premium Member
Early 2017 Vintage 1025R TLB (260/H120)
1,887 Posts
Situational awareness will become natural with time, or you will create work for yourself! 😎
Yea, you'll need new lights. Don't ask how I know! 🤪

·
Premium Member
6,073 Posts
That’ll learn em

·
Registered
231 Posts
Welcome from western pa

·
Registered
7,860 Posts
Be glad it was the ROPS breaking branches instead of you. You will learn to judge height and width pretty well and this will be a reminder to ease into places where there could be an issue. If you run a rear mounted implement, you will also learn to allow turning room, especially for something like a rear mounted mower that can stick out behind the tractor quite a ways. If I"m cutting close to a fence with my RMM, and get to a corner I have to ease it away from the fence before making the turn or back out far enough to get clearance. Otherwise the mower will take out the fence or vice versa during the turn.

While tractors seem to drive like cars, they have their own attributes to be aware of. You probably haven't taken out many limbs with your car.

Treefarmer

·
Registered
3,196 Posts
While waiting for my 2025R with cab last spring I spent a bunch of time out in the yard making sure all hanging branch’s were 7ft up. If I extend my forearms out and had the lopers straight up I was at the perfect height. I have a couple of trees we liked the hanging branches on so I just mow u deer them with the push mower.

Reactions: honeycadam

·
Registered
551 Posts
Be wary of ducking under branches, the ROPs will grab the branch, pull it forward and smack you in the back of the noggin.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Welcome to GTT!

A co-worker of mine's significant other had the ROPS hit the garage and the tractor rolled over on him and killed him. Unfortunately, he had his seat belt on or he might have just gotten thrown off and out of the way. I believe one of the uprights on the ROPS is what pinned him. I didn't ask what model of tractor it was.

I made a new and stronger custom ROPS that is cut down 10" to fit under most everything and never have to lower it again or watch out for openings or limbs, while still providing plenty of head room. Those things on the 1 series are ridiculously high. I would rather the risk the 1% chance I would be injured due to shortened or missing ROPS vs the 100% chance I will hit the garage or limbs with the unmodified version and cause significant damage to myself, my property and/or the tractor.

Reactions: RoyW2 and 2mtrucks

·
Chief Stick-picker-upper
16,495 Posts
I try to make a nice close cut near a big cedar tree. Check out the picture - those branches used to point up to the sky. Sure put a big mess on my brand new tractor. Oh well . . .No big deal. That branch needed to go anyway.
Fixed it for ya. (y)

·
Premium Member
1,628 Posts
You can also easily run a limb inside the rop with you....lost a good friend to rops and I'm not a fan of them....also purchased a 520 J.D. from a widow lady friend...here husband was discing and limb hit muffler then knocked him off....

Attachments

·
Registered
339 Posts
You can also easily run a limb inside the rop with you....lost a good friend to rops and I'm not a fan of them....also purchased a 520 J.D. from a widow lady friend...here husband was discing and limb hit muffler then knocked him off....
Damn, that is terrible. I wish the safety police were here to read these posts. The ROPS on my 2018 all but ruined the experience with the tractor until I made a replacement. It was always in the way when folded or up. I did reverse it at one point where it was canted backwards and slightly lower, but it still hit the weather stripping on the garage. GRRRR.
I was lucky enough to catch in time before it pulled off the trim with it.

Reactions: RoyW2

·
Premium Member
1,628 Posts
yes after catching a swing set and about knocking me off tractor....I'm finished with a lot of these safety devices....I can't even use it with the backhoe...don't want to get injured by it....

1 - 20 of 22 Posts