Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
4,087 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New thread so won’t hijack other with my response.

Anyone know anything about LS Tractors? I have to check them out before I make a purchase of a new tractor. As stated in another thread it is tearing me to look at anything besides a Deere but budget wise they hare hard to overlook. I can get a 73 hp tractor for around $25,000 less than a 5 series Deere. So many standard features that are an option on Deere. Going tomorrow to dealer North of me to look at Cabed 68 and 73 hp models. They make most of the tractors for New Holland and some for Case.
Mostly a hay tractor for me and will still have Deere’s so....

·
Administrator
20,368 Posts
Have you considered a used tractor?

·
Registered
4,087 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yep that’s still an option. Just doing my home work before I lay out 40k + minimum.

·
Registered
21,563 Posts
How’s the dealer support for each? That is a very important factor for me. I have to go do a Google search because I don’t even know what an LS is....

Dealer support - if you do have an issue is the tractor going to be down in their shop for a couple days or a couple weeks or even months. I know back some time this was a huge issue with Montana tractors - just couldn’t get parts and they had a terrible dealer network.

That is where I think Deere shines in general. Of course there are instances with poor Deere dealers, but it seems most people have a few dealers within a decent driving distance.

As Jason said - maybe used. I’ve read some great success stories like from Kenny buying a used tractor from even a long distance.

·
Registered
371 Posts
LS makes good tractors, and they are the builder of the smaller New Holland/Massey Ferguson models.
2 things-
1) They have extremely poorly designed telescoping stabilizers
2) Dealers are spotty, from what I've seen. Our local Kubota dealer used to carry them, then stopped, then got a few models in, then stopped, and now have one or two on the lot. No matter how good they may be, or how good of a value, poor dealer support is a deal breaker.

·
Super Moderator
4,904 Posts
The only comment I can make on them is that when I was looking at machines 4 years ago, the resale value on the LS machines was extremely low. There weren't many used ones up for sale and I attribute that to resale values being so low that they weren't worth selling so people just kept them until they died.

·
Registered
4,087 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Eight dealers in Michigan. Closest is 15 miles from me. The one I’m going to tomorrow is 50 miles from me and they have the model I would consider there right now, I’m stock. According to the guy I talk to on the phone they have been an LS dealer for almost 20years and the longest in Michigan. I’ll see what kind of dealer they are. I’ve also read that New Holland parts and interchangeable and I have a New Holland dealer less than 10 miles from me. I’m sure resell is not as good as Deere, but I hardest buy anything for the resale. Don’t know will see.

·
Registered
4,087 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Plan on going to Ag Expo this year in Lexington Ky. Those who went last year, how many different brands of Tractors were at Expo?

·
Administrator
20,368 Posts
Plan on going to Ag Expo this year in Lexington Ky. Those who went last year, how many different brands of Tractors were at Expo?
Do you mean the National Farm Equipment Show in Louisville KY? That's in February and had roughly 1.2 million square feet of displays. Just about every tractor manufacturer attends.

·
Registered
4,087 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Do you mean the National Farm Equipment Show in Louisville KY? That's in February and had roughly 1.2 million square feet of displays. Just about every tractor manufacturer attends.
Yep sorry trying to do too much multitasking today, and my crs is kicking in.

·
Registered
4,432 Posts
I messed around one with one at the fair a couple years ago. They seem alright, They look down-to earth with a few extras. The build quality is not even close to deere, though. I don't think they have the options of the deere, either.

·
Registered
1,602 Posts
Yep sorry trying to do too much multitasking today, and my crs is kicking in.
Sounds like fun. LS has a very large booth at the NFMS, so you will be able to get a close-up look at several of them. They may not have one of the exact size you are seeking on the show floor, but you'll still get a good look at their equipment.

As you mentioned, you can also look at the Case/NH tractors as they are from LS (until you get to the big ones).

Tim

·
Registered
4,087 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Went and took a look and test ride

Attachments

·
Administrator
20,368 Posts

·
Registered
4,087 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well I liked it. It will be considered. Still amazing the standard features that are options on other brands. Dealer was good and answered all my questions, and has a lot of attachments in stock and discounted if I buy a tractor. Small dealer and they were busy. Another guy looking at the 45 hp model at same time and he is a New Holland brand loyal. He is also considering purchasing one.
Had Mrs with me, she liked the price for sure. She reminded me there will still be John Deere in the shop. Don’t know right now still a hard time making up my mind. No hurry so..........stand by

·
Registered
616 Posts

·
Registered
4,087 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
T

NO, he said that it was $25K less than a 5000 series JD.
Correct. The one I pictured I could get for just over $44,000 not including some of the extras I would add on. I’m still in the hard to get off the money thing:laugh:. One daughter in college still, retiring in March, a lot spent on home improvements last year etc.,so put on hold for a bit. I am going to have cabbed tractor around 60 pto hp in the near future just not sure when I will actually do it. I am still consider Deere, Ls and Kubota.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts