Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I have a 38" lawn tractor model LT133. I was cutting my grass and shut it down to empty the grass catcher bags. Upon trying to re-start to continue cutting, the mower did nothing. I checked the battery thinking it may have died but it is putting out +/- 13.0 volts. I could here an occasional click coming from the starter solenoid so thinking this was the culprit I replaced it with a new OEM solenoid. Still nothing. I am at a loss here. I checked the brake pedal switch, only to the point that it was firmly plugged in, also the same with the blade engagement switch.

I used my jumper cables attached to my truck. The other end I attached to the NEG on the mower battery. I touched the POS cable to the POS on the starter with the key on and the mower fired right up. Runs great. shuts off with the key. All systems function as they should.

Any and all help with this no crank issue is greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance, Bill

·
Premium Member
1,786 Posts
Seat safety switch?

·
GTT's Pilot in Command (PIC)
8,558 Posts
I know that you said you checked the battery, but was that 13 volts under a load, or at rest? A battery can have full voltage at rest, but not hold up when under the load of starting the engine.

I guess since I am not as knowledgeable as some, I think of the simpler things first.

·
Registered
321 Posts
Thanks for the schematic. I wonder if it could be the fusible link on the starter solenoid?:unknown:
it's possible, that would be easy to test, just jumper across it. It can be anything in that circuit. You will just have to do some troubleshooting, eliminating one at a time to narrow it down.

Let us know some finding if you get stuck and maybe we can give more insight on what to test next.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Anyone else have any suggestions? I hate to have to take it to the dealer. It's has to be something simple I'm missing.

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
36,729 Posts
Did you do what Farmgirl suggested? That would be my suggestion as well.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Remove, clean, and reinstall the battery terminals. Then check for 12.7 volts again. If you can, check the voltage at the starter as someone cranks the engine.

·
Super Moderator
2,700 Posts
The LT133 had two different electrical systems on them, a 3 amp system and a 15 amp system. The 3 amp system had a 3 position ignition switch, while the 15 amp system had a 4 position ignition switch. Also, the early LT133s didn't have a RIO switch while the later ones did. I'm not sure if the two different systems will have different systems, but they will have different components in them. Which system do you have?

Since we have the 15 amp system schematic already in this thread, here is the 3 amp system.

Attachments

·
Registered
321 Posts
Anyone else have any suggestions? I hate to have to take it to the dealer. It's has to be something simple I'm missing.
I hate to sound rude and would like to help but you must HELP US TO HELP YOU. We cannot troubleshoot your machine for you and tell you what is wrong when all you give us to work with is "will not crank over". There are many reasons why it would not crank over. You would have to have the machine in front of you, using a multimeter and do some electrical test to pinpoint the problem.

You must first have an understanding of DC electricity and how its components work. If you understand this and are capable of using a meter and reading the wiring diagram then do voltage test along the starting circuit. 12 volts start at the battery and must get to the starter to make it turn. When you find where you stop getting 12 volts in the starting circuit then you have found a problem.

If you are not capable of reading the wiring diagram and using a meter then you would need to find someone that can to be in front of your tractor to do these test for you. Do what test you can, if you get stuck let us know the readings and we will try to guide you to the next test.

Myself I didn't know there were 2 different wiring methods used on the LT133 so the first thing you must do is figure out which wiring diagram fits your machine.

I have out of state company coming this afternoon to visit for a couple of weeks so I may not be on here enough to be of much help. I'm sure there are many members that are willing to do what they can to help solve your problem. Just give us a place to start.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Myself I didn't know there were 2 different wiring methods used on the LT133 so the first thing you must do is figure out which wiring diagram fits your machine.
I cannot find any markings anywhere on my LT133 tractor or anything in the literature (don't have a tech manual, it's on order) to indicate if my LT133 has a 3 amp or 15 amp system. How does one determine which system is employed (3 amp or 15 amp)? Thanks.

BTW, the engine is a 13HP KOHLER 1KHXS.3982GC. I purchased the tractor in Aug 2001 (ser# M0L133A144456).

·
Registered
3 Posts
How Old is Your Battery?

Hello,

I had the same problem with a 345 (check the thread running concurrently). It dawned on me that my battery was 7 or 8 years old. I replaced the battery and all is well. Like someone said, "simple things first."

Good Luck,

RC in VT

·
Registered
13 Posts
Well, after I made this post and another in a separate thread, I had already pulled the ignition switch and cleaned the terminals, removed the battery, disconnected the wire to the starter, unplugged the wires from the solenoid and removed one of the relays just to check it. I had the battery on a charger for about an hour and decided I would check the voltage across the solenoid so I put everything back together and hooked up my DVM across the solenoid. When I turned the key to the START position, I was hoping to get a reading on the DVM but lo-and-behold the engine cranked over! I disconnected the DVM and I was able to start the dang thing up. I don't know if it was the cleaning, the battery charging or what but this morning I started it up again. So maybe it WAS the battery. The only difference was before charging it read 12.4V and after it read about 12.7V so not much of a change but maybe it was enough.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts