Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What’s the best lube to use on the blower shaft coupler and pto spline, my shaft coupler is a bit stiff. I figured grease would be to thick and attract debris

·
Registered
8,501 Posts
If you are talking about the rear PTO mower, I just put a dab of grease on my PTO shaft and make sure the ball bearings in the PTO coupler are clean and lubed with a little grease, You can use a spray lube but its all external and as long as you keep the ball bearings moving in the coupler, I have't had dirt problems.

It sure doesn't connect well without the grease on the PTO shaft tip and splines.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If you are talking about the rear PTO mower, I just put a dab of grease on my PTO shaft and make sure the ball bearings in the PTO coupler are clean and lubed with a little grease, You can use a spray lube but its all external and as long as you keep the ball bearings moving in the coupler, I have't had dirt problems.

It sure doesn't connect well without the grease on the PTO shaft tip and splines.
I didn’t think mine would get that tight and stiff so quick. Was wondering what you guys used. Thanks Sulley

·
Administrator
20,480 Posts
Personally I use an anti-seize and grease mix. About 50/50. Mix to the right consistency and spread by a small acid brush. It works well, only slings off for the first few minutes of operation. Then the film hangs around for a long time without attracting too much dirt.

I learned this from Bell helicopter years ago. They use this same technique on splined driveshafts for their machines and it works quite well.

I mix it up in an old small film canister, remember those? It doesn’t take much and the cap keeps it fresh for a long time.

·
Premium Member
11,421 Posts
I just use a shot of Fluid Film on the spline and coupler.

·
Old Pa-pa
11,548 Posts
I just use a shot of Fluid Film on the spline and coupler.
Same here for the spline and coupler on the bush hog.

Also all 3 point hitch components get a shot of Fluid Film when changing implements out, doesn't dry out like grease and
not as messy.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Lucas grease on the PTO shaft splines. The key is to keep the PTO shaft and the coupling clean, after a couple of uses, the grease accumulates dust/dirt which will make it harder and harder to install. I wipe both down and apply new grease every time I use it, no issues so far.

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Fluid Film here. Stuff is awesome.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts