Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
13,101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there any advantage to lug bolts vs. lug nuts on a tractor? My 2-series has lug bolts and it can be a real paint to line up the holes, especially with loaded tires. I made myself a set of locating pins by cutting the head off some spare lug bolts.

I was looking at a photo of a new Kubota L6060 today and noticed the rear wheel had two lug nuts and six lug bolts. The two studs on the nuts are apparently used to help align the tire (see below).

Lug_bolt_nut.jpg

So why have the combination? Why not just use all lug nuts?

Inquiring minds would like to know.

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
38,138 Posts
Is there any advantage to lug bolts vs. lug nuts on a tractor? My 2-series has lug bolts and it can be a real paint to line up the holes, especially with loaded tires. I made myself a set of locating pins by cutting the head off some spare lug bolts.

I was looking at a photo of a new Kubota L6060 today and noticed the rear wheel had two lug nuts and six lug bolts. The two studs on the nuts are apparently used to help align the tire (see below).

So why have the combination? Why not just use all lug nuts?

Inquiring minds would like to know.
Probably so and a good idea. I do know it is much easier to align two holes with studs vs many.

·
Registered
23,313 Posts
What first comes to mind with lug nuts is the exposed studs possibly getting damaged. Yeah, there are full cover lug nuts but there is still a protrusion that could possibly get bent if something gets jammed into the wheel.

But our VW has lug bolts also which kind of blows my theory......

·
Premium Member
13,878 Posts
Makes sense, but based on my experience changing big truck tires personally I would prefer a hub fully studded.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Makes sense, but based on my experience changing big truck tires personally I would prefer a hub fully studded.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
No question...I'm with you ^^^^

·
Registered
2,021 Posts
Since I own equipment with both type of studs I prefer hubs with studs that require nuts vs screw in studs. I think wheels are hands down easier to install with the studs in the hubs vs screw in studs. Also I've never had a wheel fall off that the Nuts were tightened to spec's!!!

·
Registered
715 Posts
Bolts shave a buck or two in labor off the assembly of an axle since you don't need the operation to press in the studs. In the world of manufacturers that practice continuous improvement, all those pennies add up to either more profit or a more competitively priced product. Hopefully both!

That being said, I hate bolts. The BMWs I've owned since the 1990s have all had them. There is a shoulder around the hub nut that mates with a recess in the wheel, but the wheels are alloy and the hub is cast iron. After a few months driving on wet salted roads, they fuse together as the tolerances are really tight. I've literally had to bounce a 10lb sledge hammer off the tires multiple times to separate the wheels from the hub. I don't know what you're supposed to do when you're changing a flat by the side of the road, though that probably doesn't matter since they all come with run-flats and no spare these days.

Al

1 - 8 of 8 Posts