Green Tractor Talk banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I posted to this section because we did use a truck and dump trailer. Near where I live they replaced a bunch of large wooden poles for high tension lines. A friend wanted them and a particular land owner didn’t want the old poles so it was a help yourself thing. I took my 2025r and helped him load them on his trailer with my forks. He kept saying how light weight they were. When I saw them I thought no way I’m picking those up but they were 50 tp 70 years old and very dry so I was able to load them.

He hauled them to a sawmill owned by the Amish and today I helped him load the lumber and watched him mill a few. This stuff was all cedar and made some excellent lumber.

·
Registered
1,725 Posts
Nice, Looks good. If ya don't mind, what did it cost ya? And how many poles did it take to get that much finished product?
I got a pile of old ones in my back yard, and once I finish the job I'm currently on, I'm gonna get another pile of old cedar, and fur.
I started plaining old cross arms on Sunday. I should buy a table saw, trim the fat first, then plain them. It's a lot of work just plaining them down.

Wood Rectangle Grass Composite material Plant

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The poles were free. It didn’t cost him anything to load them, I did that for free also. The bill for the milling was $250. The picture with my hands on the wood sitting on the cart is about 2/3 of the total he got. I bet if you added up the total cost, fuel, wear and tear etc it would be $300 his cost. He texted me a couple of screen shots of what cedar lumber costs at Lowe’s. I’d estimate there is at least $2000 worth of lumber there and probably closer to $4000.

I think he got a total of 12 poles, and these were bigger diameter than a normal pole, some were 12 feet long and some were 10 feet. We cut some to length before we loaded them.

·
Registered
2,427 Posts
I been doing that since I was a lineman. I used to do a lot of wood working. Made our daughter play house 12x14 x14 high years ago, now the grandkids play in it. The saw mills that I used would charge you or take 1/4 of the boards. You had to make sure no nails or staples was in it. If the hit one the bandsaw blades are $75.00 each, I always used my metal detector. You take the pole from 8' up usually no garage dale signs that high up .

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
These were fairly close to the road but were high tension lines and out of the way where people didn’t nail anything to them. They had some deep cracks but I was surprised most of them didn’t reduce the lumber that much, he milled around the worse ones.

·
Registered
1,725 Posts
The poles were free. It didn’t cost him anything to load them, I did that for free also. The bill for the milling was $250. The picture with my hands on the wood sitting on the cart is about 2/3 of the total he got. I bet if you added up the total cost, fuel, wear and tear etc it would be $300 his cost. He texted me a couple of screen shots of what cedar lumber costs at Lowe’s. I’d estimate there is at least $2000 worth of lumber there and probably closer to $4000.

I think he got a total of 12 poles, and these were bigger diameter than a normal pole, some were 12 feet long and some were 10 feet. We cut some to length before we loaded them.

Right on. Good friend in you! Thanks for sharing.

Reactions: driveshaft

·
Registered
2,126 Posts
Glad the wood could be reclaimed. I hate to see waste 👍

·
Registered
588 Posts
Wow, Cedar power poles. All we have are Osmose treated yellow pine poles here.

·
Registered
2,427 Posts
Most of ours are cedar poles, our secondly poles average 55-65'. Our primary poles goes from 70' to 145' lots of lumber out of them.
Thanks you for calling them power poles or utility poles and not telephone poles👍

Reactions: Jimmy Walker

·
Registered
3,188 Posts
Were those poles drilled and plugged about waist high from ground level??

The stuff they put in them up here would fry some brain cells minimum if you tried milling them.

Telephone only poles are the worst as they treat them more to extend life.

Had to sign a waiver years ago just to pick up some old ones for a fence project.

·
Registered
1,725 Posts
That would be osmose treatment. They drill holes at a 45, and insert what looks like a cO2 cartridge into the whole, and plug it. Supposed to retreat the wood, to gain extra life out of it.
No idea what the actual chemical treatment consists of. The plugs are blatantly obvious, sometimes cork, sometimes plastic.

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I don’t think they had any plugs.

·
Registered
2,427 Posts
I never took the first 12' starting at the butt end.

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I used some of the lumber today to build a retaking wall. This was an old kennel that was here when we moved in 23 years ago. I tore down the little shed years ago and the block wall finally fell over a couple years ago.

The area cleaned out.

The wall mostly built.

A section complete except for a little backfill. I need to hit him up for 3 more boards.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts