Green Tractor Talk banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
Yep, when the Fed is buying debt it essentially means the Treasury is printing money.

The issue of China reducing holdings is good sense on their part but not good for the US because it means they anticipate dollars will be worth less or worthless in the future.

Treefarmer
As usual, bad times for savers.

Always wondered what will/would happen to those of us who watch their "nest egg" of money they've saved for a rainy day eroded to junk bond status.

And that includes 401ks and other work savings.

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
I think it’s going to be bad times for everyone.
Everyone will end up on the same level playing field, which is below the average of today. That’s the whole idea. Unless you are one of the really super wealthy elites it’s not going to begood. Could be by design, I dunno?
The lumber price increase versus mortgage cost/home value is interesting, at least to me.

History proves that governments tend to muck with things like that which is bad for those of us who played by the rules and saved and spent frugally and bought homes within our means.

I'll stop there since that treads into politics.

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
It's times like this that I put on my tinfoil hat and question the "free market" economics behind this.

Nothing would choke the economy like a death spiral in housing starts.

Which is exactly what would happen if lumber prices would have stayed inflated.

Reactions: etcallhome

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
Same thing as if interest rates would spike to slow down free/cheap money. Neither of those things will be allowed to happen so we will see inflation continue at a higher than normal rate.
I am glad to see lumber prices get to an almost reasonable level. I’ve been postponing a couple small outdoor projects due to the expense.
Hooboy anyone who denies inflation hasn't been to the store lately or looked at mama's register tape. Or the credit card bill. Prices skyrocketing and sizes shrinking.

Kind of like the onslaught of housing when those of us who work "regular" jobs don't see any massive salary increases commensurate with this "sell the old at inflated price and buy bigger and better" economic landscape.

Anyway, I'm glad to see lumber prices come down but why just lumber and not everything else which is suffering from skyrocketing inflation?

I'm sure someone has a textbook economic reason but those kinds of "textbook economists" scare me.

Something to do with liars and figuring... Of which would apply even more to governments and news outlets.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts