Green Tractor Talk banner
181 - 200 of 233 Posts
Interesting that a 2x6x 96 is almost 30 percent cheaper than 2x4 of same length
I think you are going to find some crazy pricing like that but it's not hard to turn a 2 x 6 into a 2 x 4. Much harder to go the other way. If I was going to build a house, I'd think about using the 2 x 6 for exterior walls- less expensive and more room for insulation. That's crazy but it's the world we are in now.

I think you are going to find some crazy pricing like that but it's not hard to turn a 2 x 6 into a 2 x 4. Much harder to go the other way. If I was going to build a house, I'd think about using the 2 x 6 for exterior walls- less expensive and more room for insulation. That's crazy but it's the world we are in now.

they did a lot of 2x6 walls in the early 90's, they quickly realized there is minimal benefit in it. Ceiling insulation depth was far more efficient.

they did a lot of 2x6 walls in the early 90's, they quickly realized there is minimal benefit in it. Ceiling insulation depth was far more efficient.
Everything around here is being built with 2x6 framing. When I was visiting my step daughter in South Carolina last spring everything in her development was 2x6 framing as well. It's my understanding it's the norm these days.

Everything around here is being built with 2x6 framing. When I was visiting my step daughter in South Carolina last spring everything in her development was 2x6 framing as well. It's my understanding it's the norm these days.
LOL, now I'm confused. . .

I've not seen any 2x4 construction since the 70's
Not sure where you are, but around here anyone that says extra insulation just isn't worth it should be hit in the mouth.

Not sure where you are, but around here anyone that says extra insulation just isn't worth it should be hit in the mouth.
With a 2x4 or 2x6? :unsure: :ROFLMAO:

In NC, when I designed and built our house, 2x6's on exterior AND interior walls. The builder and framing crew thought I was nuts. Then had the interior walls filled with insulation as well as ceilings. They really thought I lost it.

Cost a bit more but the house sure is quiet. Can have TV on in one room, and not hear it in others. :) Money well spent.

2x4x96 framing studs went from $3.48 5 months ago to $6.98 today. That's a 100% increase.
DON'T even think about looking at OSB prices! $17.xx a few weeks ago, $41.xx now for 7/16"

I haven’t looked at lumber prices of a while. Last spring osb was around $50 for a short time then went back closer to normal. looks like it’s on the way back up. I’m hearing things like doors and siding are hard to come by. I have a couple of doors that could be replaced. still To cold to think about those type of projects. Maybe after the spring break up I look into it.

If unemployment is really 3.8%, we can't blame the prices on everyone deciding to do home improvement projects while stuck at home. If anything, at these prices, I would expect a negative effect on starting any projects. So, why the insane prices on this stuff?

Fuel costs are up, labor costs are up, everything needed to run and maintain a business are up, Eastern Europe is on fire with no signs of improving soon, the dollar has been devalued. Home improvement projects and home building seems to be in the decline. Buckle up, we’re heading into some turbulence.

Mostly because people are willing to pay the high prices.

Same reason vehicles sell above sticker price. It’s the gotta have it now mentally . Seems to me now is not the time to buy anything you can put off for a while. If gas prices keep going up it probably won’t be long before the used market gets flooded with pickups as people move to smaller more fuel efficient vehicles. We have seen this before.

Same reason vehicles sell above sticker price. It’s the gotta have it now mentally . Seems to me now is not the time to buy anything you can put off for a while. If gas prices keep going up it probably won’t be long before the used market gets flooded with pickups as people move to smaller more fuel efficient vehicles. We have seen this before.
I suspect we'll soon see a spike in fuel thefts from vehicles and equipment.

With gas prices rising I think we will see a lot of folks switching to EVs. There aren’t a lot of new cars available without waiting so some people will be stuck with their gas guzzler for awhile. It will be interesting to see if the prices come down on trucks like they did in ‘08 and small cars and EVs increase in price even more.

With gas prices rising I think we will see a lot of folks switching to EVs. There aren’t a lot of new cars available without waiting so some people will be stuck with their gas guzzler for awhile. It will be interesting to see if the prices come down on trucks like they did in ‘08 and small cars and EVs increase in price even more.
It is going to be interesting. Right now my '21 SuperDuty is worth about $4k more than what I paid for it 11 months ago. But, next year at this time I might be upside down on it in spite of putting 20% down on the truck.

181 - 200 of 233 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.