Green Tractor Talk banner
181 - 191 of 191 Posts

·
Registered
8,591 Posts
Interesting that a 2x6x 96 is almost 30 percent cheaper than 2x4 of same length
I think you are going to find some crazy pricing like that but it's not hard to turn a 2 x 6 into a 2 x 4. Much harder to go the other way. If I was going to build a house, I'd think about using the 2 x 6 for exterior walls- less expensive and more room for insulation. That's crazy but it's the world we are in now.

·
Registered
339 Posts
I think you are going to find some crazy pricing like that but it's not hard to turn a 2 x 6 into a 2 x 4. Much harder to go the other way. If I was going to build a house, I'd think about using the 2 x 6 for exterior walls- less expensive and more room for insulation. That's crazy but it's the world we are in now.

they did a lot of 2x6 walls in the early 90's, they quickly realized there is minimal benefit in it. Ceiling insulation depth was far more efficient.

·
Premium Member
2020 1025R, 120R, 54D
3,242 Posts
they did a lot of 2x6 walls in the early 90's, they quickly realized there is minimal benefit in it. Ceiling insulation depth was far more efficient.
Everything around here is being built with 2x6 framing. When I was visiting my step daughter in South Carolina last spring everything in her development was 2x6 framing as well. It's my understanding it's the norm these days.

·
Registered
8,591 Posts
Everything around here is being built with 2x6 framing. When I was visiting my step daughter in South Carolina last spring everything in her development was 2x6 framing as well. It's my understanding it's the norm these days.
LOL, now I'm confused. . .

·
Premium Member
5,403 Posts
I've not seen any 2x4 construction since the 70's
Not sure where you are, but around here anyone that says extra insulation just isn't worth it should be hit in the mouth.

·
Premium Member
2020 1025R, 120R, 54D
3,242 Posts
Not sure where you are, but around here anyone that says extra insulation just isn't worth it should be hit in the mouth.
With a 2x4 or 2x6? :unsure: :ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
986 Posts
In NC, when I designed and built our house, 2x6's on exterior AND interior walls. The builder and framing crew thought I was nuts. Then had the interior walls filled with insulation as well as ceilings. They really thought I lost it.

Cost a bit more but the house sure is quiet. Can have TV on in one room, and not hear it in others. :) Money well spent.

·
Premium Member
5,403 Posts
"I sure wish I would have skimped on insulation" ......... Said nobody ever!

Reactions: Gizmo2
181 - 191 of 191 Posts