Green Tractor Talk banner
221 - 233 of 233 Posts
Prices might be down...Truss Dates are out 3 months here in PNW.

Its a complete disaster.....Snafu'd/Fubard'd.....Been out a werk for over a month.
And its not looking much better......I don't wanna relive 1981....interest @ 21%

New Construction.......drainage tech/Gutterslut.

Work the entire NW ,OR.....Florence to astoria , out to THe Dalles , down to Detroit Lake and the burn zone in the Canyon , then Lebanon...and back to the beech...rinse and repeat.

Got one Big builder that does a few states. Self Employed.

I just cover what I can...nw Quadrant of OR....fuel cost is ...as we know...Completely fullretard.

Looks like osb came back down. Green treated landscape timber’s seemed be real high locally a week ago. Price must be changIng rapidly as Menards no longer has a price on lumber on the rack, they have a tag that you can scan with your phone or you need to go to the lumber desk to see the price, or be surprised at the checkout.

Prices might be down...Truss Dates are out 3 months here in PNW.

Its a complete disaster.....Snafu'd/Fubard'd.....Been out a werk for over a month.
And its not looking much better......I don't wanna relive 1981....interest @ 21%
It's looking more and more like a redux. I didn't like it then and won't like the remake. . .

Nationally lumber prices are down significantly and likely to go down more as housing construction contracts. They won't return to pre-pandemic levels however because the cost of fuel, trucking, electricity etc. are all rising.

It's looking more and more like a redux. I didn't like it then and won't like the remake. . .

Nationally lumber prices are down significantly and likely to go down more as housing construction contracts. They won't return to pre-pandemic levels however because the cost of fuel, trucking, electricity etc. are all rising.
Interesting followup in the VT August Housing report. Housing currently under construction was up 20% year over year. Total permits were down 13% year over year. That's a flip from a few months ago when permits were up. So while lumber demand is still fairly solid, it's headed down as the current houses under construction are completed.

It's not as bad as the 2008 mess, yet.

Rectangle Slope Plot Font Line

Something around 900,000 to 1,000,000 single family homes/year are needed to replace old houses and allow for new households. There's still a pretty large unbuilt demand from 2008 through the last quarter of 2021. Some of that will never be built as a generation didn't form households at the same level as in the past.

Interesting followup in the VT August Housing report. Housing currently under construction was up 20% year over year. Total permits were down 13% year over year. That's a flip from a few months ago when permits were up. So while lumber demand is still fairly solid, it's headed down as the current houses under construction are completed.

View attachment 867814

Something around 900,000 to 1,000,000 single family homes/year are needed to replace old houses and allow for new households. There's still a pretty large unbuilt demand from 2008 through the last quarter of 2021. Some of that will never be built as a generation didn't form households at the same level as in the past.
Wow the >5 MF permits are way up. In theory I guess each of those permits is equal to at least 4 more SF permits. Good time to get into being a landlord it seems. Buying a house at todays prices and >6% interest will be unobtainable for many people.

View attachment 867814

I don't think hurricane demand is cooked in yet......so I think that will keep things up at least another 12+ months ...especially drywall ....not sure how that type of demand will be reflected in permits etc,

I don't think hurricane demand is cooked in yet......so I think that will keep things up at least another 12+ months ...especially drywall ....not sure how that type of demand will be reflected in permits etc,
Those were August numbers so definitely no hurricane numbers. Those will be significant but will take a while to work into the numbers.

Reactions: ttazzman
221 - 233 of 233 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.