Green Tractor Talk banner
21 - 40 of 229 Posts

·
Registered
9,577 Posts
Prices will slowly come back down. CME bid on random length is showing some weakness going out into the future. There's no shortage of timber overall although the Pacific NW may have some issues due to the fires.

The sawmill production issues may linger if covid makes a come back but some mills shut down for maintenance when covid hit and they are now coming back on line. Industry wide, there's enough capacity but some spot shortages may persist. If you are in a fire area or hurricane area, lumber may have to be shipped in which will add to the cost. The mills that kept running during the spring make a lot of money.

Treefarmer

·
Registered
7,420 Posts
I've only been buying the lumber I have to have until the price comes down. Just another slow down for my ongoing shop project.

Reactions: flyweight

·
Registered
9,577 Posts
Im on a bit of a crunch as I am trying to build a duck blind for the kids to have down at the pond. May have to drive an hour each way to Topeka to get the lumber I will need to finish it.
LOL, that's one advantage of building a duck blind on the shore of a river. 90% of the lumber can be picked up on the shore from storm damage. I've probably used debris from an old blind to build a new one, lol.

Treefarmer

Reactions: flyweight

·
Registered
2,174 Posts
LOL, that's one advantage of building a duck blind on the shore of a river. 90% of the lumber can be picked up on the shore from storm damage. I've probably used debris from an old blind to build a new one, lol.

Treefarmer
Yeah when I am hunting public I carry in grassed layouts and dog blinds. I want to be able to run down and be hunting in a few minutes so a semi permanent blind fits the bill. Ill pallet fork it down there then back up to the shop in the spring.

·
Chief Stick-picker-upper
20,105 Posts
Tell me about it,
I’ve been building fencing using treated lumber and it ain’t cheap, but I’m not waiting for the price to drop. I’m eating bullets to finish my project.

·
Administrator
23,208 Posts

·
Registered
2,069 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·

·
Registered
237 Posts
I've noticed this myself. Went to our local Menards to get some 2x material and OSB. I was shocked to see a 1/2" sheet of OSB selling for around $30 and a 2 x 6 x 104-5/8" selling for $15. I sorted through a dozen or so boards that were crooked as a dog's hind leg before I decided I wasn't doing this and left. The project I was going to do can wait for another day.

We built a home in 2020...started in April 2020...so glad we locked in pricing on our framing package before prices started increasing. Got lucky there.

·
Registered
9,577 Posts

·
Registered
4,507 Posts
I am considering replacing the deck on my car trailer as it has a few bad spots. I haven’t figured out exactly what I need yet do to the weather and the trailer being covered with snow and ice. Looks like it’s going to be $40 plus per board. I think it’s decked with 20’ long 2x8s. .

·
Registered
9,577 Posts
I am considering replacing the deck on my car trailer as it has a few bad spots. I haven’t figured out exactly what I need yet do to the weather and the trailer being covered with snow and ice. Looks like it’s going to be $40 plus per board. I think it’s decked with 20’ long 2x8s. .
Even in normal times those are going to be a bit pricey. Anything over 16' gets a premium price and may be harder to find.

Treefarmer

·
Registered
4,161 Posts
You might look around for someone that mills lumber and get some pricing from them. You’d probably get better lumber and pricing along with keeping your money local.

·
Registered
251 Posts
I work in the building material industry, and it is the strangest of times. We have been purchasing CDX for less than OSB, have found AC plywood for cheaper than CDX. It has literally been a take what you can get.

As far as our hardware side, it has been crazy what the shortages are. Air filters, PVC, conduit, wire, PVC electrical boxes, breakers.

My two cents, if the interest rate was to increase building will stop. The incredibly low interest rate is the only thing helping offset the increases.

As far as the weekend warriors doing reno projects and decks, etc. There are a bunch of new people that were not very handy before, taking time to tackle their own projects. I think that is great. In reality they are spending twice as much on materials, but saving on labor.

Sent from my SM-G973U1 using Tapatalk

21 - 40 of 229 Posts