Green Tractor Talk banner
141 - 160 of 233 Posts

2305 w/ 200CX FEL and 62C MMM
My neighbor has 8 6"x6"x10' salt treated that have been lying on the ground for over a year. It might be a better investment than Bitcoin.

Treefarmer

About 2 years ago I bought a bundle of #1 pressure treated 2x6x16 fence boards, and only used about a third of them. Now it’s cheaper for me to rip one of the 2x6’s down if I need a couple of 8 foot 2x4’s versus going to Lowe’s and buying new 2x4’s. I hate to do it, and waste the part I rip off, but it is less expensive.

And the old broken or warped 2x6 fence boards that I’d have taken to the landfill, I now salvage pieces of as well. Some of it I can plane down to decent 1x6’s and 1x4’s. It’s a lot of work, though.

I was cleaning out some old files the other day and ran across a spreadsheet I did for some project planning. This was from 2011.

Monday night I talked with a builder. He had quoted a house in December. When the first load of framing lumber came to the site in January it was $14,000 higher than they had figured. He had some room in the house quote but not that much. . .

They are rewriting their contracts to cover material inflation.

Treefarmer

Here's a link to Freres Lumber blog. They are on the west coast so their market is a bit different than ours but do a good job of bringing information together.

I have been seeing news reports that the prices have started falling some. Has anyone seen any evidence to back that up?

Reactions: tj1 and Gizmo2
I have been seeing news reports that the prices have started falling some. Has anyone seen any evidence to back that up?
If it's anything like oil/gas futures, retail will jump immediately when futures go up, but take forever to fall when the futures fall.

The young man with the odd colored hair and face mask hanging around his chin who checked me out yesterday in Home Depot said lumber prices will be back to pre-covid levels by October. So that settles it.

random length lumber futures were up to 1400 a contract about a month ago now down to around 950. Retail will be reflected by the big box stores when one of them starts a price war in response to reduced/expected sales. Just my opinion.

Yes, but lumber is a bit of a local market so while overall prices are down (CBOT), that doesn't mean your local store price is down. Rationally, they were too high to be sustainable and new home construction has slacked a little. Permits have not, so there's still a large demand but starts are off a little.

Supply is getting closer to meeting demand so prices should be falling out of the stratosphere.

Shucks, you mean the lumber companies can't charge 8 dollars for a 2x4 anymore because they can? God darn it...

Reactions: Gizmo2
141 - 160 of 233 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.