Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got an LX176 used last year as a result of recommendations here and LOVE IT. A couple of weeks ago it would not start. Jumped it and it ran fine. Brake set, deck lever up, PTO (I assume that is what engages mower deck on the 176) in off position. Next use started and ran fine. Went out today and had to jump it. When I pulled the switch (PTO) to engage mower deck, nothing. ENgine continued to run fine. Shut off and it would not start. When it did start and I switch headlight for the hell of it, engine stumbled and died and headlight did not come on. So... Engine runs fine, started cranks fine with jump. Sort of stumped. Any clues? Thanks in advance. Love this mower.

·
Premium Member
13,036 Posts
It sure sounds like the battery, especially since the LX176 has an electric PTO clutch. Do you have a voltmeter that you can use to check the voltage on the battery at rest and while trying to crank the engine?

Reactions: kylew

·
Registered
1 Posts
I agree with the possibility of the battery. I just fought that problem and my voltmeter indicated that the battery had 12V in it. Finally accepted the possibility the battery was bad and took it to the store where they tested it. It was defective. I even tried to jump it off. Of course the fact that it was 10 years should have told me something...........

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So I guess even with a running engine, the battery is still suspect to not getting the PTO engaged? Would think the alternator would do that,,, anyway, easiest thing to replace is battery.

·
Premium Member
13,036 Posts
So I guess even with a running engine, the battery is still suspect to not getting the PTO engaged? Would think the alternator would do that,,, anyway, easiest thing to replace is battery.
First have it tested if you cannot do it yourself. Most auto parts places will test the battery for free.

·
Premium Member
15,045 Posts
Have your battery tested at Advance, Autozone, Wally World , your dealer then my guess they will tell you ,,

YOU NEED A NEW BATTERY.

🤷‍♂️ :)

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
OK so against my better automotive engine judgement that tells me even if a battery is weak once you start the car the alternator takes over and everything works until you shut it off, and expecting some component to be bad, I bought a new battery. Mower working fine.. THANK YOU. Confused but happy. Old battery manufactured 11/ 2018 so.. no idea why it was bad but.. Happy. Thanks.

·
Super Moderator
5,291 Posts
OK so against my better automotive engine judgement that tells me even if a battery is weak once you start the car the alternator takes over and everything works until you shut it off, and expecting some component to be bad, I bought a new battery. Mower working fine.. THANK YOU. Confused but happy. Old battery manufactured 11/ 2018 so.. no idea why it was bad but.. Happy. Thanks.
The alternators on these mowers are pretty tiny. A common car alternator can put out 200 amps+. These mowers are usually less than 20 amps.

When you turn on the electric PTO it's a huge momentary power surge that the alternator can't handle on it's own. So that power comes from the battery and the alternator then recharges the battery while you mow.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The alternators on these mowers are pretty tiny. A common car alternator can put out 200 amps+. These mowers are usually less than 20 amps.

When you turn on the electric PTO it's a huge momentary power surge that the alternator can't handle on it's own. So that power comes from the battery and the alternator then recharges the battery while you mow.
And so I learn something!! Did not know that... but now I do. THANKS!!

Dan

1 - 11 of 11 Posts