Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
12,239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just acquired a very low hour LX176 John Deere from a neighbor who is moving into a condo. He had inherited it from his father in law less than 2 years after his father in law had purchased it new with the 38" mower (I believe) and front snow blower.

My neighbor has never used it for mowing. When he got the machine, he removed the mower deck and installed the front snow blower and he never mowed with it again. Somehow, he now can't locate the mowing deck, which seems very odd.

My neighbor is a very nice guy and retired Physician, but he has zero mechanical skills and I have always helped him with the service work on his LX176. I could swear I recall seeing the mower deck and it was the 38" mower deck with the rounded ends on each side. It's quite a mystery that it can't be located, but he has searched high and low. I am hoping that in the full move, he will find the mower deck behind or under something.

In the meantime, I am searching for a replacement mower deck and I have located a couple. I don't plan to use this machine,.I am going to get it cleaned up, service it and go through the snow blower and make sure its bearings and drive pulleys are all solid, etc. Then I am going to put it up for sale.

Without a mower deck, the entire machine has much less salability. With a mower deck and the snow blower, its a very good small property machine for someone who needs such a thing. I also received the rear bagger and chute for the deck MCS, etc. I also got 4 suitcase weights, which the rear weight bracket holds 2 of the weights for the snow blower ballast. Why he had 4 weights, I have no idea as the weight bar holds two. I can always find a use for the other two suitcase weights.

So here are my questions;

In the parts book, it shows a mower deck lift system which is illustrated here.

Screenshot_2021-05-12 John Deere Parts Catalog(1).png

It looks like the lift system for the snow blower is likely the same lift system for the snow blower, at least the parts shown in the illustration system.

1. Are there any extra pieces which are either removed to install the snow blower lift or that I need to install the 38" mower deck that aren't shown in the illustration above? The snowblower is lifted pulling the handle on the left side of the lawn tractor. I am just trying to make sure to get everything I need for the mower deck installation when I locate and buy a mower deck.

2. I am assuming the tractor came with the 38" mower deck as it seems to be the most common on the LX176, plus I swear I recall seeing the rounded ends on the mower deck. The tractor has the rear two rear bagger system for the MCS. It appears from the literature that all of the mower decks on the LX series use the same two rear bagger collection system, with the actual MCS deck blower being the difference between different decks. Is this correct?

Was there a rear two bagger system used on the LX176 which didn't have the deck mounted blower system? If there is, I haven't been able to find one. I will take pictures of the actual chute later which connects to the rear MCS because it seems like the end of the chute is flared to fit on the deck directly, without the use of a deck mounted blower. But I can't find any of the bagger information which indicates a rear 2 bag system used on a 38" deck without a deck mounted blower.

Thanks for the help getting started on this. This is a really nice and clean LX176, which I bet has well less than 100 actual hours of use on it. It was only used to clear the snow from his driveway since it was 2 years old and for the last 4 years, I have plowed their driveway as the owner was being treated with bone marrow transplants and cancer treatments. Fortunately, he is doing very well, which I am glad to see.

I am looking for a 38" deck so this machine can be functional year around. Its going to make someone a very nice machine for maintaining a average neighborhood or in town lawn and driveway. I will get some pictures of the machine and post those as well.............Thanks again.........

Reactions: Jimmy Walker

·
Registered
266 Posts
I inherited an LX176 with the property we bought.
It has the 38" deck.

It has a Deere 2 bag collection system.
There is no blower attached to the deck. Chute fits directly to the deck discharge.
The bracket for the support frame for the bag system bolts to rear end frame -- it is offset to the RHS of the machine
Takes only a couple minutes to pin the bag support to the bracket (which is left on the machine all the time) and to pin the chute onto the deck discharge.

I don't normally collect clippings, but used it for a bunch of leaf collection last fall.
Seemed to work fine. I don't know which blades are on it, but had no problem with material flow.

No snow blower so I have no idea about the lift questions.

·
Premium Member
12,239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, X738 for your reply, for some reason, the Reply button wasn't properly framing the closing of your comments, so I will just respond this way.....

The information on the John Deere page found in the PDF below, which is in the John Deere Parts book pages under the LX176 machine. Below is a screen shot of the section where I saw all of the blowers on the decks shown and none without.

That mower should have enough lift, etc to get normal clippings and dry leaves into the rear hoppers. Thanks for the reply and information, I already had someone approach me about buying this for their mother in law to use on her small yard and also so at 76, she can stop pushing the snow blower up and down her driveway. This would be ideal for her needs. I just want to find a really nice 38" deck to go on the tractor as it is so clean and low hours.

I still can't believe that somehow, the neighbor who had the machine "misplaced" the mower deck. It extremely unlikely someone would have taken it. I am still hoping he finds it when the movers start packing things tomorrow and he does have a lot of stuff. .......

Just FYI, The introduction to the machine in the parts book provides a detailed break down on the model year serial numbers if you need that for your machines information.

Thanks again.

Screenshot_2021-05-12 John Deere Parts Catalog(2).png

Reactions: x738

·
Registered
266 Posts
Thanks for pointing out the location of the year - serial number list. (I thought I'd seen it somewhere -- but couldn't for remember where).

It says LX176X was the 38" model and was from 1991 to 1998.
Mines a 1996.

LX176C was 44" and 1998 only
LX176A was 48" - from 1995 - 1998

The one I thought was interesting was the LX176B which was also made form 1995 to 1998.
-- The B model came without a mower deck.

Under the 6.5/7 bu section:

There are sections for bags/chutes/hopper top for with and without powerflow

I think these are what came with the one I have:

hopper top and frame

post and bracket

Chute w/o powerflow

·
Premium Member
12,239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for posting the links to the non blower collection pieces, those are exactly the one I have. Thanks for the other links as well.

I have located a couple of mower decks options for the 38" mower deck for this machine. I just have to find the time to drive and look at each as each is about 75 minutes away.

I really didn't need this mower in my storage barn right now along with everything else. Now I have to crawl over stuff to get to stuff, which I really don't like doing. But the timing has to work for the seller and he needed it gone immediately.

The seat is cracked in the usual places from use on the Lx176, so I might put a new seat on it. The machine is so clean and limited use otherwise, its a shame to have the seat making it look rougher than it certainly is............

The first seat listed is AM115813 for $224.43

looks like I can get an "alternate replacement seat", number Part Number A-B1AM115813 for $109.03......Interesting. For that, I will replace the seat............

1 - 5 of 5 Posts