Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a LX178 1991 tractor with a Kowasaki engine that runs beautifully. However, it is very difficult to start cold acting like it does not get enough fuel to the carburetor. If I pour gasoline in the carb it will start immediately. Anyone have suggestions why the fuel must drain back to the tank or whatever ------- . Thanks.

·
Chief Stick-picker-upper
11,321 Posts
Have you checked the following:

Fuel tank pick-up tube for obstructions.

Fuel line shut-off valve operation.

Fuel in-line filter.

Fuel supply pump for proper operation.

Fuel shut-off solenoid(under carb., if applicable). May the stuck closed.

392238544_1675556.gif

·
Chief Stick-picker-upper
11,321 Posts
BTW, Greenx3. Welcome to GTT.

:greentractorride:

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
Check to make sure the choke is closing. Might just be a simple cable adjustment. The fact that it will start and run rules out any major fuel issues.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Lx 178 fuei issue

Check to make sure the choke is closing. Might just be a simple cable adjustment. The fact that it will start and run rules out any major fuel issues.

I will look to make certain the choke is operating correctly. The LX 178 wants to start better when the choke is full and the idle is as low as possible. After I crank for quite awhile then it will finally catch and began running but if I increase the idle speed it will stop. Once it is running for awhile and the engine is warm there is no problem and it starts right up. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
Don't see how that is possible. The choke and throttle are on one handle. Forward past high idle is the choke position.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Don't see how that is possible. The choke and throttle are on one handle. Forward past high idle is the choke position.

Thank you everyone for your input on my LX178 fuel problem. I have resolved the issue after much trial and error and the mower is running great. I disassembled the carburetor and had it boiled out (electronically) at the local JD dealership and thoroughly cleaned all parts & inspected all ports. Since I had the tractor apart I also replaced the fuel line, cleaned gas tank, and changed fuel filter. It was a fun learning experience.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts