Green Tractor Talk banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 1995 LX188. But I imagine the question should be common to most of the floating decks. When cutting grass, the deck follows the ground contour. If I hit a high spot the deck will float and if high enough, get's locked in the "transport mode"?. To get back to floating, I have to press the release button on the lift lever. My question is, is there something I can do to keep the ground from locking the deck in transport mode? I want to be able to lock on purpose but not when cutting grass. If I don't notice it, I have to go back are re-do it. Thanks for any suggestions.

·
Registered
143 Posts
I ran a 1996 LX188 for 18 years, and sold it to a guy down the street, and it's still running great for him. Great little machine!

You have a couple of options:

Firstly, you can keep it in Float mode, and in those areas you know effects things, just keep your hand on the lift handle and keep the thumb button depressed - It cannot lock that way. Again this is assuming you just have a few rough areas. Its not that terribly uncomfortable, once you get the hang of it.

Second, if you have your gauge wheels set properly, you could always go to full lock down mode in these areas, which will force the deck to follow the terrain. I'm not a big fan of this option, as with more uneven turf, you are more prone to scalping. But it's something you could try.

·
Registered
13,346 Posts
Your wheels sit about 1/4” above the ground if you’re parked on a hard flat surface?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I ran a 1996 LX188 for 18 years, and sold it to a guy down the street, and it's still running great for him. Great little machine!

You have a couple of options:

Firstly, you can keep it in Float mode, and in those areas you know effects things, just keep your hand on the lift handle and keep the thumb button depressed - It cannot lock that way. Again this is assuming you just have a few rough areas. Its not that terribly uncomfortable, once you get the hang of it.

Second, if you have your gauge wheels set properly, you could always go to full lock down mode in these areas, which will force the deck to follow the terrain. I'm not a big fan of this option, as with more uneven turf, you are more prone to scalping. But it's something you could try.
I've been doing option 1 for the last 20+ years. I won't do option 2 but appreciate the option. As mentioned it would cause more wear and tear and I've just been so happy with this mower, I won't mess it up. I can't believe how good it's been. I'm not the TLC type :).

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Your wheels sit about 1/4” above the ground if you’re parked on a hard flat surface?
perhaps in transport mode for the front wheels. Rear wheels about 1/2". When in float mode, front deck wheels on ground, rear deck wheels about 1/4" up. This was as parked in my garage. I didn't actually measure and that's not much difference but provides initial thought. I can get specific if it will help. I just didn't want to disconnect the float since I don't do that and didn't want to lock down. I guess one option would be to drill a hole through the lift lever to put a pin in it to lock the push button down but then I would have to pull it out to lock. I'll probably do what I've done :). But I still appreciate the replies.

·
Registered
13,346 Posts
I think you’re wheels aren’t supposed to touch at mowing height.

Use this knob to set the minimum height for mowing, and your float should gain travel.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I think you’re wheels aren’t supposed to touch at mowing height.

Use this knob to set the minimum height for mowing, and your float should gain travel.

I do, I set that number typically to 2 1/2", I have the idlers also set to the matching 2 1/2" setting. I have a 3/4 acre lot and there are only a few areas that have a bump or something that locks it up. If my front deck wheels should not touch when in the float position perhaps that is where I should look. Likewise, maybe I shouldn't worry about it. I just thought I would ask. Thanks.

·
Registered
13,346 Posts
I do, I set that number typically to 2 1/2", I have the idlers also set to the matching 2 1/2" setting. I have a 3/4 acre lot and there are only a few areas that have a bump or something that locks it up. If my front deck wheels should not touch when in the float position perhaps that is where I should look. Likewise, maybe I shouldn't worry about it. I just thought I would ask. Thanks.
I am not aware of any Deere LT deck that is supposed to ride on the wheels.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Even the 80's John Deere such as the 318 instructed to set the wheels on the deck to 1/2 to an inch above ground level when on a flat surface. If not, the deck wheels wear out rapidly as they are not meant to carry the deck. If they were then they would have bearings in them.

·
Registered
143 Posts
To Rydplrs point, once you set the deck height, and obviously your tires are at the correct air pressure, you need to set the gauge wheels for 1/4" over a hard, flat surface, concrete ideally. The LX188 manual with the 48C specifically says to set the front gauge wheel between 1/4" and 1/2" max, (stick to the lower end if you see scalping) but you can run the rears lower. Obviously this is to ensure the front of the deck is always lower for the best cut.

I will mention to Modeer's point, the older gauge wheels were much nicer with the inserts but still, they will not last long if they are constantly under the weight of the deck. The gauge wheels are simply intended to be occasional bumpers on uneven terrain to avoid scalping. The far crappier gauge wheels on the x500 series won't last a single season if they are in constant contact.

Try setting the gauge wheels accordingly and report back. Might not solve the lock problem, but you could end up with a better overall cut.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I want to thank you all for the experienced replies. Ignorance may be bliss but perpetuates the "we've always done it that way". It does not surprise me the deck may have not been set up correctly when purchased. I only recently replaced the front rollers and everything you have said makes perfect sense. I'll post again after I get them adjusted here in the garage.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts