Green Tractor Talk banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought my LX188 about 6 years ago. It was very used but very well cared for. It was my first John Deere product and I was immediately hooked with the quality and craftmanship of the machine. It served me well year-round with mowing in the Spring and Summer, towing a vac around in the Fall and plowing in the Winter. Recent and numerous mechanical issues had me thinking about moving to a newer machine.

In a fit of insanity, I spent almost as much for a lawn tractor than I did for my pickup truck. But I love it. I've only had it for 2 days, but the X380 is a very nice step up from the LX188. I bought the X380 with a plow, chains and weights as well as the manual mulch kit. I went with the 380 because it's the lowest trim level to get the K58 transaxle. My property is steep, and as I mentioned I tow and plow with the machine. I figure the K58 is the minimum transaxle for this type of use.

I'll miss the LX188 (it's in good running condition and for sale) but I'm looking forward to many years with this X380.

Wheel Tire Plant Vehicle Automotive tire

·
Registered
9 Posts
Good going. I expect delivery on my X380 next week. I can't wait. I will be using it to mow between orchard rows to mow weeds. How does it maneuver for you and do you miss not getting power steering? Any thoughts you might have on your new purchase would be appreciated.

Thank you,

Rick

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Good going. I expect delivery on my X380 next week. I can't wait. I will be using it to mow between orchard rows to mow weeds. How does it maneuver for you and do you miss not getting power steering? Any thoughts you might have on your new purchase would be appreciated.

Thank you,

Rick
I was really on the fence about the power steering and the dealer actually talked me out of it. The added expense and complexity of hydraulics really weren't worth it for how I use the tractor. The 380 steers very easily, much easier than my LX188 which required quite a bit of effort despite regular maintenance (greasing) of the steering mechanism. Some reviews actually call the 380 steering sloppy, but I feel that it maneuvers fine. I have about 3.5 acres of hilly terrain with about an acre of lawn to mow. I mow around mulch beds, trees, along the wooded edges. The 380 steers around it all very nicely. It does sit a lot higher than my LX188 so I'm ducking under branches a lot more!

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
You sure you have an X380? Compared to the LX188, it looks like an X700 series machine 😉
Yes it does make the LX188 look pretty small. The dealer had some 500 and 700 machines on the floor and man are they nice. But the 380 will be good for my purposes.

I think you need a better pickup truck... congrats on the mower!
Thanks! (I really do need a better pickup truck...maybe next year if/when the automotive market cools a bit)

·
Registered
2015 X738 60"
132 Posts
Yea now is not the time for a truck. They can kiss my a$$.
In April of 2020 I was on a Ford lot in SW PA. Brand new 2019 left over model, 6.7 diesel 4 door long bed F350 XL with cloth and power windows. 4x4. So work trim but upgraded. $43,000. That was roughly $5k in rebates and $5k because it was a 2019 and the 2020's were out. I didn't buy cause I didn't need it and there were concerns of those pistons in the 2019's, short skirts and people were hearing some strange noises from their new motors.

Anyways, MOST BUT NOT ALL car salesmen are straight trash.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I was really on the fence about the power steering and the dealer actually talked me out of it. The added expense and complexity of hydraulics really weren't worth it for how I use the tractor. The 380 steers very easily, much easier than my LX188 which required quite a bit of effort despite regular maintenance (greasing) of the steering mechanism. Some reviews actually call the 380 steering sloppy, but I feel that it maneuvers fine. I have about 3.5 acres of hilly terrain with about an acre of lawn to mow. I mow around mulch beds, trees, along the wooded edges. The 380 steers around it all very nicely. It does sit a lot higher than my LX188 so I'm ducking under branches a lot more!
Thanks for the update, that answered my question

·
Registered
216 Posts
You don't really realize how much bigger the newer machines are until you do a side by side comparison with the older machines.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts