Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
I am new to the forum and attempted to search for this topic however, it kept taking me to a google search instead....

I have a JD LX277 v17 twin Kawasaki.

I just had it serviced by the dealership, however, they are no longer a JD dealership, just changed hands several months ago. I took it to them for the normal $300 spring tune up. When I got it back, the spindles were screaming! Wasn't like that when I took it to them. Long conversation and they agreed to fix it, paying 1/2.

I got it back, within a week had another issue, took it back to them, again, they paid to fix it. Got back again, and used it once, all was good. I parked it and it sat for 5 days, then I started it up and moved it 30'ish yards and it died, just like you turned the key off.

So I quickly decided it was the 2 spark plugs, pulled them and yes they were burnt. I put two new ones in and it still would not start. I used a bit of starting fluid and it would fire once maybe twice, then die. So.... I replaced the fuel pump. Same results. I also replace the fuel filter while there, still nothing. Based on another sites recommendation, I filed the pin on the fuel solenoid. Still nothing. So I used some start fluid again and it fired once maybe twice.

So it sounds like it isn't getting fuel, but the tank is more than 1/2 full. Where do I go from here? I really don't want to take it back to the local guys here and the nearest JD service center is about 60 miles away.

Thanks for any help!
Kent

·
Registered
81 Posts
I would suggest starting at the fuel pump, disconnect the output hose at the carburetor and crank the engine to see if there is any flow. If not, work backward to the tank - you might need to replace the fuel lines as they degrade over-time or you may have debris in the tank. It's also possible that your new pump is defective.

If there is flow, pull the bowl, remove the needle and float, then spray carb cleaner into the orifice.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you... I am pretty sure there is no flow. I have a concern now that it may be the pickup tube in the tank, didn't think of that earlier. Is there anywhere I can go to see how to drop the tank to repair the line?

I do not mind cleaning the carb either, while I have this rascal torn apart, I might as well take the time to get it all done.

Thanks - Kent

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you... I am pretty sure there is no flow. I have a concern now that it may be the pickup tube in the tank, didn't think of that earlier. Is there anywhere I can go to see how to drop the tank to repair the line?

I do not mind cleaning the carb either, while I have this rascal torn apart, I might as well take the time to get it all done.

Thanks - Kent
I am attempting to replace the pick up line in the gas tank. I have removed the two bolts from under the seat and probably could get to the line if the deck adjustment knob removed. I have looked and felt around it for a set screw, no luck. Do you know how to remove it?

Thanks,
Kent

·
Registered
8,520 Posts
I am attempting to replace the pick up line in the gas tank. I have removed the two bolts from under the seat and probably could get to the line if the deck adjustment knob removed. I have looked and felt around it for a set screw, no luck. Do you know how to remove it?

Thanks,
Kent

Do not do anything without confirming this, but most adjustment knobs just pull off.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Do not do anything without confirming this, but most adjustment knobs just pull off.
It did just pull off and all is good. Removed all the dead grass and likes, pull out the bushing and line, all was intact. Argh... So, it isn't getting fuel. I have replaced everything from the fuel pump back to the tank with the exception of the actual fuel line. The pump was not a knock off, it was from a JD dealer, the fuel filter was from a JD dealer. The bushing and pick up line arrived today, however that doesn't appear to be the issue either, but I'll replace them since I am here.

What would you suggest next for I am at a loss.

Thank you so much for your help, you are about the only one that will respond.

Kent

·
Registered
8,520 Posts
It did just pull off and all is good. Removed all the dead grass and likes, pull out the bushing and line, all was intact. Argh... So, it isn't getting fuel. I have replaced everything from the fuel pump back to the tank with the exception of the actual fuel line. The pump was not a knock off, it was from a JD dealer, the fuel filter was from a JD dealer. The bushing and pick up line arrived today, however that doesn't appear to be the issue either, but I'll replace them since I am here.

What would you suggest next for I am at a loss.

Thank you so much for your help, you are about the only one that will respond.

Kent
Where is your pump? You might have said, but I missed it if you did. If it in tank it’s about checking points along the path. Put the line in a jar and try to pump fuel. If it’s not a good test point attach a temporary line to catch it. Look for about 8oz in 30 seconds and a solid stream. That’s an I guess number.

If the pump is engine mounted you can blow in the filler cap to act as a pump to test further back.

Start at the carb to rule out everything, then start from the beginning if it fails.

There are 3 other options if the carb gets fuel. Fuel solenoid, float and float needle.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Where is your pump? You might have said, but I missed it if you did. If it in tank it’s about checking points along the path. Put the line in a jar and try to pump fuel. If it’s not a good test point attach a temporary line to catch it. Look for about 8oz in 30 seconds and a solid stream. That’s an I guess number.

If the pump is engine mounted you can blow in the filler cap to act as a pump to test further back.

Start at the carb to rule out everything, then start from the beginning if it fails.

There are 3 other options if the carb gets fuel. Fuel solenoid, float and float needle.
Thank you!!! The fuel pump is mounted on the side of the engine. Fuel line coming in, fuel line to carb and another line that I can't remember right off where it goes to. I am thinking vacuum line to pull the gas.

I replaced the solenoid at the suggestion of my dealer. I will see if I can get air into the tank via the filler cap opening and see what I get out at the pump.

Again, thank you!
Kent

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thank you!!! The fuel pump is mounted on the side of the engine. Fuel line coming in, fuel line to carb and another line that I can't remember right off where it goes to. I am thinking vacuum line to pull the gas.

I replaced the solenoid at the suggestion of my dealer. I will see if I can get air into the tank via the filler cap opening and see what I get out at the pump.

Again, thank you!
Kent
Tonight I think I made good progress! I got the new pick up line and bushing in, all the fenders and all knobs put back on.

Attempted to blow fuel via the tank out the fuel line connected to the front side of the fuel pump. Some came out. Hooked that line back up and disconnected the line going to the carb. Nothing came out when I cranked it....

I took the fuel pump off and noticed the vacuum line wasn't seated on the nipple going into the valve block. Reconnected that and attempted to start it again, gas went everywhere out of the line going to the carb! Reconnected all the fuel lines and attempted to start it, would not fire.

Pulled both plugs and put a shot of starting fluid in both cylinders. It fired a time or two but would not run. So I think I am back to it being a carb issue.

I took the solenoid off and the bowl had some fuel in it, but not a lot. I would have expected more.

It has been more than a few years since I last took a carb apart, so... Is there anything to clean up or check without removing the carb? The float appears to be in good shape and the spring works on it. I raised it and it fell back fairly easy. Not sure where the injector needle is, but if it is something I can clean, I can do that too.

Thanks again,
Kent

1 - 11 of 11 Posts