Green Tractor Talk banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, so I've had this LX277 for about 3 years, my step-dad passed it down to me when he got where he couldn't mow anymore after he bought it new way back when. It's been great, no issues until I went to start it this last time, no lights on the dash...nada. I checked the battery with a meter and it showed 12+ volts, threw it on a charger anyway...checked the 15 amp fuses I found behind the dash and they checked fine, but did notice a wire coming from the ignition switch that seems to plug into the wiring harness looked melted and some corrosion coming out of the connector. I'm getting 12v from that wire via testing on the back of the circuit board for the ignition switch so not sure if that is the problem or not. Looks like I need to replace that anyway, just wondering if that actually is the problem since I seem to still get 12v to the ignition.

788125
Electrical wiring Computer hardware Electronic component Red Electronic engineering
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,714 Posts
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, I had read that last night...but his description of the fusible link going to the starter didn't match what I was seeing where it goes from the ignition to the wiring loom...but maybe he has his apart or is looking at a wiring diagram to understand where that wire goes. Since I was getting 12v from it at the ignition switch I figured it was power from the battery but didn't know.

I had looked up the parts to replace and it appears they replaced the parts so you need to order both a new ignition switch and the circuit board for behind the dash to fix it...so will probably order that and hope if fixes the issue.

So the "melted" wire in my photo is the fusible link?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
15 Posts
You shouldn't need to get the new board and ignition, at least until you've tried repairing the wire.

That red melted wire is the power wire for the tractor. The fusible link is at the other end of that wire, past the black connector and close to the battery. Wire 210.

With that much corrosion, and a possibly faulty fusible link, that usually results in a high resistance path. A multimeter may show 12 V, but as soon as any amount of load is applied, the voltage drops nearly to 0. I'd definitly replace that connector, and try things out, then replace the fusible link if it still doesn't work.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the input, want to get this back up and going so I can spray the fertilizer and spread grub-ex soon. Hopefully I can find some time this weekend to replace that section of wire and see if that helps. My step-dad swapped out an old 116H that he had given me a long time ago for this LX, the first week I had it I learned that it didn't have a metal hood like the 116(whoops) and I bet the 116 didn't have a circuit board but the LX moves a lot faster!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
15 Posts
Trade offs with these machines, for sure! If you wanted to do a quick test, find good clean copper in that red wire and temporarily attach it to the positive battery terminal and try starting. Hopefully it fires up.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Got the mower back up and running, ended up just cutting out the bad section of wire and splicing it back together...still had enough wire length. That swollen section of wire was just all corrosion.
789468
 
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top