Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, recently replaced the PTO clutch on my 2001 LX277 and it wobbles. It looks like a wheel that isn't properly balanced, it does not spin true. It runs and mows great though. Is this a problem? Do people "balance" these with little weights like a wheel?

It is a genuine John Deere pto clutch that I used

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,228 Posts
Hi guys, recently replaced the PTO clutch on my 2001 LX277 and it wobbles. It looks like a wheel that isn't properly balanced, it does not spin true. It runs and mows great though. Is this a problem? Do people "balance" these with little weights like a wheel?

It is a genuine John Deere pto clutch that I used

Does the whole thing wobble or just the part that engages the drive pulley to make it turn?
If the belt gets tight, loose, tight, loose when running I'd say you have a problem.
If just the end that gets sucked to the pulley by the magnet it could be all right.

Why did you have to replace the clutch in the first place?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
I'm not really sure, but it's most noticeable if you look at the actual pulley. At idle with the blades turned off you can see it a little bit. I don't think the belt gets tight loose tight loose at any time though.

I replaced it because it would sometimes shut off when mowing, it was getting worse as time went by. Replaced the switch first, no change. But the new clutch solved the problem

·
Registered
3,228 Posts
I'm not really sure, but it's most noticeable if you look at the actual pulley. At idle with the blades turned off you can see it a little bit. I don't think the belt gets tight loose tight loose at any time though.

I replaced it because it would sometimes shut off when mowing, it was getting worse as time went by. Replaced the switch first, no change. But the new clutch solved the problem

The other possibilitie is a slightly bent crank shaft. Usually you need to whack it against something to make it happen. This is why I asked why you replaced it. I take it you didn't notice the old one wobbling.

Just to be safe. Take a look at the engine mounting bolts. Make sure that they are not loose. If they are inspect the frame for cracks.

If it's only a little bit of movement and everything is working fine otherwise. I would not worry about it.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm not sure if the old one wobbled or not, I never took notice. But yeah, it runs and cuts great, no issues

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Is there any way to post a video on here? It only lets me post pictures

·
Administrator
20,681 Posts
Is there any way to post a video on here? It only lets me post pictures
That's correct. You have to upload videos to a place such a YouTube and post a link here. Tapatalk used top host videos through vimeo, but that no longer works.

·
Registered
3,228 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the replies, sorry for the short video. Based on your responses, I think it's alright. I'll keep on mowing

1 - 10 of 10 Posts