Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All, new guy here from Australia.

I have a John Deere LX279 that is having a few issues.

It starts and runs fine, but after a while develops a bit of a miss sometimes, which today, turned into more of a miss, then started hunting up and down the revs. Without the blades on it runs fine, it seems as if once it gets a warm, something is causing extra resistance on the blades that is causing the issue?

I have checked the obvious, nothing caught up in the pulleys, nothing in/around the blades. It seems as if there is a problem with the blade drive system that kicks in when it gets hot. Whilst I have never worked on a mower before, I am mechanically minded, and can happily work on motors and mechanical systems, but does this sound like an obvious/common problem that I might be able to fix?

Thanks in advance,

Matt

·
Registered
3,870 Posts
Hi All, new guy here from Australia.

I have a John Deere LX279 that is having a few issues.

It starts and runs fine, but after a while develops a bit of a miss sometimes, which today, turned into more of a miss, then started hunting up and down the revs. Without the blades on it runs fine, it seems as if once it gets a warm, something is causing extra resistance on the blades that is causing the issue?

I have checked the obvious, nothing caught up in the pulleys, nothing in/around the blades. It seems as if there is a problem with the blade drive system that kicks in when it gets hot. Whilst I have never worked on a mower before, I am mechanically minded, and can happily work on motors and mechanical systems, but does this sound like an obvious/common problem that I might be able to fix?

Thanks in advance,

Matt
Could be a couple of things,debree or water in the tank as it moves around in the tank getting sucked up or blocking the pickup tube.If that model has the coil mounted on each side of the engine as they get hot it will act like that when there worn or cracked.As for the deck loosen the blade drive belt as check for any binding on pulleys especially the idler pulley.

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
Throw some seafoam in the carb and see if that clears it up. Maybe you have some junk or varnish in the passages that is causing the condition. How does the fuel filter look?

Is your deck belt glazed causing it to slip? I have had that happen before.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts