Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm getting Dad's 1947 M back into use and having a real problem with the (1-row) cultivator. If I move the shank on the rear plows up high enough to get the front cultivators into the ground, the rig beam on the front rig falls off the lift pipe. Put the rear shanks down far enough to keep that from happening and the front plows won't touch the ground. It's like the lift pipes are too short, but they are the originals.
I plowed thousands of miles with one of these when I was kid, but I realize now that I just drove; Dad always set up the plows before he went to work. Ergo, I can't get the plows adjusted right and it's driving me nuts. Any thoughts?

·
Premium Member
1,074 Posts
I'm getting Dad's 1947 M back into use and having a real problem with the (1-row) cultivator. If I move the shank on the rear plows up high enough to get the front cultivators into the ground, the rig beam on the front rig falls off the lift pipe. Put the rear shanks down far enough to keep that from happening and the front plows won't touch the ground. It's like the lift pipes are too short, but they are the originals.
I plowed thousands of miles with one of these when I was kid, but I realize now that I just drove; Dad always set up the plows before he went to work. Ergo, I can't get the plows adjusted right and it's driving me nuts. Any thoughts?
Dave- I regret that I can't come up with an instant fix, but I too bought a JD "M" with a cultivator. The cultivator is now off it, but as I recall, the main beam is captured by a "U" shaped bracket under the belly of the tractor. The hooks that capture the round rear lift bar, in the back had clips that would secure it to the rear (round) draw bar. I can't see how it could 'escape'! I'm wondering if you're missing the drawbar keepers? It appears to me that it was the 1947 version of a "Quick-Tach" system! I can get you some photos this weekend if you'd like. Welcome to GTT! ~Scotty

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That would be great! I'll try to get a couple of shots showing the problem area, too.

·
Premium Member
1,074 Posts
A Public appolige!

I forgot to take those pics! I had a an awesome weekend tilling a neighboring guys food plot! He own 10X the land that I do, lets us hunt at will, and I like to 'pitch-in' whenever I can. Lots of seat-time and total forgot to snap some shots! I haven't forgot about ya! ~Scotty

1 - 5 of 5 Posts