Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Is it possible to have the oil from my touch-o-matic system seep into my motor oil? And if so what would my problem be or more importantly how would I fix it?
* My TOM wasn't working the other after working the day before. Sounding like it was gurgling. Added more oil and it worked great. Then I noticed my engine oil was high so I'm assuming it's coming from the TOM somewhere. Anyone ever have this issue?
Thanks
Brian*

·
Administrator
20,852 Posts
What tractor is it?:unknown: You could always add the tractor to your signature so it always displays when you post. You can edit your signature in your profile settings. :thumbup1gif:

·
Administrator
20,852 Posts
Geez I completely forgot that... Sorry.... It's a John Deere M. Believe it's a '49.
I edited the title for you to reflect the model. :good2:

·
Registered
145 Posts
The Hydraulic pump located on the front of the engine has a seal on the back of it that goes around the drive shaft. If it goes bad it can leak in the engine oil.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Would that be the only way for hydraulic oil to enter the engine? I would imagine it wouldn't be too bad a fix

·
Registered
145 Posts
That is the only place I know where the hydraulic oil can get in the engine oil. Its not a hard to do the repair. Take the pump off and pull it apart and take the shaft out and replace the seal. Be very careful when splitting the pump apart. It has machined surfaces and no gasket. If the machind surfaces get scratched it will not seal and leak hydraulic fliud. The allen head bolts need to be torqued back to spec when putting back together.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So I finally got around to changing the seal... Put it all back together, flushed the system out with kerosene, drained, filled with oil - and nothing. Lift arms will not move. Not even attempt to move. No leaks anywhere. Any ideas?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So I removed the pump again today, inspected everything - all looked well - put it back together but this time I "primed" the pump with some oil. Fired it up and everything worked great as it should. Will run it for an extended period this weekend and mKe sure the seal did the job but so far looks likes my issues are solved. Thanks!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts