Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,186 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Curious about how our GTT members use their SCUT / CUT machines. Specifically, how long you have owned the machine, how many hours you have on it, what that works out to as an average and then the specific tasks you use your machine

To keep it simple, we will ask you answer these questions with these numbers,

Number 1. - Let's start with the basics. How long have you had your machine?

Number 2. - How many hours do you have on your machine?

Number 3. - So, how many hours per month does this average out to be?

How many hours have you used your machine doing the following; (or other categories which apply to you)

My answers

Number 1. - 13 months

Number 2. -245 hours

Number 3. - 18.85 hours

Plowing Snow - 170 hours (69%)

3 Point RC2048 Mowing - 30 hours (12%)

FEL related tasks - 20 hours (9%)

3 Point Hitch Activities - 24 hours (10%) (Box Blade, Rear rake, Core Aerator)

If you aren't positive on the breakdown of the machine's use, just do your best to average it's use on the most common tasks.

I think this will be interesting. Thanks................

Feel free to either copy or reply to and just change the answers to fit your responses to save time with input.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Here are my guestimates, Haven't been able to do much snow blowing because I had it delivered in Feb. or March this spring. Hoping to get a full season of using this year!!!! These are my best estimates, looking forward to increasing all those numbers!!!! Love my JD!!!!:good2:

Number 1. - 10 months

Number 2. -31 hours

Number 3. - 3 hours

Plowing Snow - 0 hours (0%)

54" Snowblower - 4 hours (13%)

54" MMM Mowing - 21 hours (68%)

FEL related tasks - 6 hours (19%)

3 Point Hitch Activities - 0 hours (0%) (Box Blade, Rear rake, Core Aerator)

·
Premium Member
252 Posts

12 months

Snow Removal: 30%
Mowing: 5% (got a finish mower late)
Backhoe/excavation: 10%
3pt Hitch: 20% (plowing, raking, tilling)
Debris removal/clearing brush piles: 25%
Moving stuff around: 10%

·
Corndog Hater
11,780 Posts
My answers

Number 1. - 84 months

Number 2. -580 hours (on the tractor, 345 hours on the engine)

Number 3. - 6.90 hours

Snow Removal - 85 hours (15%)

3 Point Brush Hog Mowing - 40 hours (7%)

FEL related tasks - 35 hours (6%)

Lawn Mowing - 420 hours (72%)

·
Premium Member
9,186 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well, my numbers are going to start to go up quickly, Spent 5.5 hours this morning plowing snow....

Wet, heavy, concrete type snow. A couple of neighbors with Deere machines are having varying results with the wet and heavy snow. A x738 with a 47" two stage shaft driven blower didn't plug and threw the snow about 8 feet at WOT. Its the constant full chute of snow. He did have slow going so the blower and tractor could keep up but it was handling it.

Another neighbor with the x3xx AWS model didn't fare well, He appeared to be having blower belt issues. He also seemed quite unhappy the last I saw him. He only did get about 10% of his driveway done.

Good news with this snow is you don't get covered in it from the snow blower if you are on an open station tractor blowing it. However, its so wet that the guys sitting outside were soaked from the wet snow falling on them and getting their carharts soaked.

I ran front and rear wipers the entire time today, from the moment I started until I pulled it back in the garage. Also had the heater blower motor moving air, mostly cool to help eliminate the window fogging. A ton of moisture in the air today with this snow. First time I have ever had to do that the duration of my plowing.......

Also the first time I had to get out of the cab and clear the rear camera. Big chunks of snow were falling off limbs and a couple of times, the snow completely covered the camera and all I could see was white. A quick cleaning of the camera lens with a pocket bandanna and I was back in service. :good2: I rely heavily on that camera and it makes plowing snow so much safer. I really like it and highly recommend everyone with a cab have a rear view monitor.........I can see vehicles coming up behind me plus I use it for backing up into tight areas, etc.

I bet a 5 gallon bucket full of this snow would be at least 5o pounds, or nearly all water weight.......Great for kids to build snow people (Even snow people are gender sensitive now, so be careful...:dunno:...) or forts, but the ground isn't frozen so the lawns get muddy quickly. The tradeoffs of the first storm of the season.:laugh:

Last year I didn't plow snow until December 12th and then the last day I plowed snow was February 19th or 20th. Between the 12th of Dec and the 19th of Feb, I plowed snow 45 times. I hope to exceed the plow total this year and I am fine with it being spread out a little more.

Thanks for those who have replied and looking forward to hearing from more SCUT / CUT owners about their use of the machine.

·
Registered
748 Posts
48 months....

264 hours...

5.5 hours/month... Seems low to me, I thought I had a lot more seat time than that!!

I'd guess that the majority of the hours comes from cutting the lawn and the ditches in the neighborhood

Additional uses include blowing/plowing driveways (I guess I don't waste any time out in the cold), diesel powered wheelbarrow, very large leaf blower, wife's large rock relocating tool, wood pile mover/log skidder/log splitting helper..

·
Premium Member
9,186 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
48 months....

264 hours...

5.5 hours/month... Seems low to me, I thought I had a lot more seat time than that!!

I'd guess that the majority of the hours comes from cutting the lawn and the ditches in the neighborhood

Additional uses include blowing/plowing driveways (I guess I don't waste any time out in the cold), diesel powered wheelbarrow, very large leaf blower, wife's large rock relocating tool, wood pile mover/log skidder/log splitting helper..
It's going to be interesting to see the average hours per month over the group. I bet many people have the same response as you did thinking the number would be higher per month than it works out to be.

These machines are so helpful and with projects and tasks which we haven't even considered. I was going to add a grapple but instead will most likely add a thumb or two to the pallet forks which can be removed by pulling a couple of pins. I carry a lot of brush with my forks and having a way to "squeeze the brush pile" would be handy and add some safety to the transport. The pallet forks are my most often used implement after the carry all on the rear 3 point.

In fact a neighbor just sent me a text with big limbs which came down because of the heavy snow. I told him he is going to have to wait till spring or if I put the fEL back on, then we can take care of it but right now, I am in "Snow Mode"........and he is a customer. He has the shortest driveway and the one i charge the least for, at $25 per plowing.

·
Premium Member
9,186 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
My answers

Number 1. - 84 months

Number 2. -580 hours (on the tractor, 345 hours on the engine)

Number 3. - 6.90 hours

Snow Removal - 85 hours (15%)

3 Point Brush Hog Mowing - 40 hours (7%)

FEL related tasks - 35 hours (6%)

Lawn Mowing - 420 hours (72%)
Jamie, it would seem that we should somehow work into the equation the number of sandwiches eaten per machine hour, or some cross application since such as per tractor task as you are the Esteemed Sandwich thread Chief Sammich Strategist, Supervisor, and any other sandwich tasks and SCUT operation.

Not to mention your recent promotion and duties in the "Gubment Position" So be truthful, did the new duties and modified description / compensation / responsibilities actually result in an increase in your work load or were you able to delegate even more of the duties and just reap the prestige and financial reward?

Oh, that reminds me, are the Amazon packages still arriving without your wife ordering them? Feel free to discuss via email or PM if you don't want to share the details in the public domain. I always enjoy hearing from you. I am not sure if I owe you a message or vice versa but we haven't "spoken" in these other ways in quite some time. I would like to know how the "ElMagnifico Uno" or whatever that person's "AKA" (also known as) is responded to your career advancement.......

When you have some time and would like to update me, i would like to hear it......Thanks.....SB

·
Registered
185 Posts
Number 1. - 9 months

Number 2. -110 hours

Number 3. - about 12 hours (this will be a lot less in the winter months since mowing is the primary use for my tractor. The month of November I have only put 2 hours on her.)

Plowing Snow - less than 1 hour since is stopped snowing when I bought my tractor. It will be a lot more once it starts snowing this season.

54" MMM Mowing - 80 hours

FEL related tasks - 10 hours

3 Point Hitch Activities - 10 hours
- Rear Blade - 10 hours
- Brush Hog - 10 hours

·
Corndog Hater
11,780 Posts
Yes for sure, the average hours per month surprised me to the point of calculating it again to make sure I hadn't made a mistake. Much lower than I thought.

I must say, I've never eaten a sandwich, or anything for that matter, while at the helm. Two hands on the wheel, except when reaching for a sip of iced tea from my tea glass in the cup holder on a hot day.:lol:

Funny thing about the two hands on the wheel thing. As my children get closer, scary close actually, to being driving age, my youngest corrects me as to the position of my hands on the steering wheel. 9 and 3 o'clock are the newer recommendations, not the 10 and 2 o'clock from when I learned to drive. When my son chimed in the other day, I told him that I was more of a 20 after three type of guy.:laugh::laugh:

As for the other matters, I'll shoot you an email soon.:thumbup1gif:

·
Premium Member
13,677 Posts
1. 8 months

2. 189 hours

3. 23.6/month. While I agree that number seems low, for me from Nov. 1st until mid April/early May I only average about 25 hours for snow removal. So I estimate I'll be at 215 hrs +/- by spring so would put my monthly average upwards of the low 30's per month during peak season.

Of the 189 hours between MMM and other 3 point implement i.e., rotary cutter and tiller I would say at least half of my 189 hours are PTO operation. The rest is a varying degree of FEL work and discing fields, hilling potatoes, harvesting potatoes and dragging the horse pastures.

·
Registered
622 Posts
SulBr -

Number 1. - I've owned my 2005 4720 LCUT for 4-1/2 years: purchased used with 728 hrs on the clock

Number 2. - I now have 1020 hours on the machine

Number 3. - about 15 hours per month during warmer weather (growing season) times

4. The bulk of my use is mowing (75% or so) followed by loader work, stump pulling, etc.

I cannot imagine life on my property without my sweet, green machine

Brian

Curious about how our GTT members use their SCUT / CUT machines. Specifically, how long you have owned the machine, how many hours you have on it, what that works out to as an average and then the specific tasks you use your machine

To keep it simple, we will ask you answer these questions with these numbers,

How many hours have you used your machine doing the following; (or other categories which apply to you)

My answers

Number 1. - 13 months

Number 2. -245 hours

Number 3. - 18.85 hours

Plowing Snow - 170 hours (69%)

3 Point RC2048 Mowing - 30 hours (12%)

FEL related tasks - 20 hours (9%)

3 Point Hitch Activities - 24 hours (10%) (Box Blade, Rear rake, Core Aerator)

If you aren't positive on the breakdown of the machine's use, just do your best to average it's use on the most common tasks.

I think this will be interesting. Thanks................

Feel free to either copy or reply to and just change the answers to fit your responses to save time with input.

·
Registered
75 Posts

5 months

Best guesses
Snow Removal: 5%
Mowing: 60% (MMM)
3pt Hitch: 5% (towed kiddies on Halloween in hay wagon)
Debris removal/moving stuff around/helping neighbors: 30%

·
Registered
137 Posts
1) Months Owned: 18
2) Hours: 102
3) Avg hrs/Month: 5.6
4) Current property: 5 acres, Almost 2 years (bonus question)

30% Snow removal - bucket and back blade
15% Misc Fel work
15% Stump removal
15% Brush hogging
5% Tilling
5% Box blade
15% Watering fruit trees
no mowing

I agree, the average will be interesting. I might wager a guess unless they are being used commercially, the averages may not have a wide range....

:munch:

·
Registered
968 Posts
Numbers are going to be vastly different between home owner and the guy that uses it for a business.

I guess my numbers are on the low side since it is primary mowing and snow blowing, the other tasks are short but important to me but don’t add up to much. Moving trailers around is easy with 3 point hitch. I’ve had the tractor and attachments since the first or second year model the 1023E came out. The ease of the attachment of the drive over deck and 4WD for 54” snowblowing w/diesel engine attracted me. I was looking at a X748 at the time. 1023E can handle more than the X758 garden tractor at a lower price. Great tractor. To be honest I try to spend as little time as possible on the tractor doing chores especially in the cold. I have a lot of other things I’d rather be doing.

But don’t let that bother the guys that live on them. That’s what makes the world go around. The other extreme is the paid lawn care service and snow plowing service. I don’t see this as a contest, just sharing tractor involvement. I have actually no idea what the meter says now. Guessing about 285 based on maintaince schedule.

·
Registered
2,861 Posts

65 months

655hrs.

10.08hrs. (That doesn't seem right, but seeing most activity is in later spring, summer and earlier fall.... )

Snow Removal: ~40 hrs

Mowing: ~240hrs.

Backhoe/excavation: ~310hrs.

3pt Hitch: ~40hrs.(plowing, raking, tilling, rolling)

Debris removal/clearing brush piles: ~20hrs.

Moving stuff around: ~5hrs.

These are all guestimates, but probably pretty close.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

PS, this is all home owner hours.

·
Premium Member
252 Posts
It's going to be interesting to see the average hours per month over the group. I bet many people have the same response as you did thinking the number would be higher per month than it works out to be.

The low numbers of hours is due to the productivity of the machine. In the first year of use, I have taken on a few jobs that might have taken me all summer in the past, and completed them in the course of a weekend. The productivity is really remarkable, so low hours is a good thing.

·
Registered
191 Posts
How long you had it. 18months

Number hours. 350 when I bought it 475 now. So 125

Hrs/month 6.94 (looks to be about average)

Snow removal: 20hrs

Bush hogging: 10

Moving brush/tree work/firewood: 30

Mowing .5 tried mower didn't like cut stuck with my Walker zero turn mower

Loader/backhoe: 61.5

Hay rides: 3hrs :) kids love it. Need more of this!

Here is a calculation you shouldn't show your wife: divide sale price by hours used! When I calculated its a little higher than I expected and I got a screaming deal and sold equipment at a profit to buy this tractor. But I plan to keep this tractor for 20+ years so I think it will average out. Atleast my "man" math thinks it will lol. Plus there is always the "its cheaper than back surgery" line.

Anyway fun little exercise. I hope to put more hours on this year!

·
Registered
356 Posts
Hi All
How long have I had the 1025R. 4 years purchased December 2014
How many Hrs 520 hrs
Hrs/ Month 11 hrs
Mowing 70 %
Loader BH 30%
3 point hitch less than 1%
Again These are all guesstimates, but probably pretty close.:lol:
Regards John