Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,240 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
It has been used a bit and the edges are wore down from dragging it in the dirt? Price was right so no real loss! Beefed up the sides and at the same time I welded up the "14" Tall Wheel" supports. I welded in a solid axle on each side. They were extended thru a 1" hole about 3/8" and then welded on both sides real good. The wheels will make it easier to me mowing and not cutting into the grass near as much! I need to paint the hole Brush Hog still but this had to get done first. I will take a sledge to the sides to knock the dings and dents flatter then bolt it to the to first then sides last. 2 step process doing the brackets last. Made the bracket out of 1/4" thick angle iron 5" x 2 1/2" x 34" bolted to the Brush Hog. I added 2 tire bumpers and will trim them down some later before painting the works. 100_4077.JPG 100_4083.JPG The Brackets are just laying on the top till I take the dents out and drill the holes to put them on. I can remove the 2 tires just by raising the brush hog pull a keeper locking ring off each axle. Then it will be stock once more.

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
considering something similar as the Hyraulics on the 8n are strugleing to hold it at the correct height.

I was thinking caster type wheels of some sort.

This gives me ideas...great idea.

·
Registered
815 Posts
considering something similar as the Hyraulics on the 8n are strugleing to hold it at the correct height.

look at pictures of 3pt finish mowers........be easy to do well on a couple of vertical pipe sleeves on the two front corners of the cutter then use a wheel setup with a peg top (like scaffold wheels) then just shim it up and down as needed......also similar to most zero turn front deck wheels ...

·
Premium Member
3,240 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)

The wheels don't have to swivel it is like having a Tandem Axle or drop axle they track to the other rear axle and the rear brush hog wheel does all the turning since the mower is locked to the tractor and does not swing loose. You need what they call a "ZANE Thing" it keeps a 8N's 3 point set at the level you put it at. Zane off the 8N Board used to sell them years ago when I was on there a lot. I sure sold a lot of Nice 8N Parts in the past!

·
Registered
815 Posts
It has been used a bit and the edges are wore down from dragging it in the dirt? Price was right so no real loss! Beefed up the sides and at the same time I welded up the "14" Tall Wheel" supports. I welded in a solid axle on each side. They were extended thru a 1" hole about 3/8" and then welded on both sides real good. The wheels will make it easier to me mowing and not cutting into the grass near as much! I need to paint the hole Brush Hog still but this had to get done first. I will take a sledge to the sides to knock the dings and dents flatter then bolt it to the to first then sides last. 2 step process doing the brackets last. Made the bracket out of 1/4" thick angle iron 5" x 2 1/2" x 34" bolted to the Brush Hog. I added 2 tire bumpers and will trim them down some later before painting the works. View attachment 700826 View attachment 700828 The Brackets are just laying on the top till I take the dents out and drill the holes to put them on. I can remove the 2 tires just by raising the brush hog pull a keeper locking ring off each axle. Then it will be stock once more.
be careful to lift when turning not sure how much side pressure you will put on the 3pt arms if you leave it down when you make a turn....other than turning possibly looks like it will work great

·
Registered
3,841 Posts
The wheels don't have to swivel it is like having a Tandem Axle or drop axle they track to the other rear axle and the rear brush hog wheel does all the turning since the mower is locked to the tractor and does not swing loose. You need what they call a "ZANE Thing" it keeps a 8N's 3 point set at the level you put it at. Zane off the 8N Board used to sell them years ago when I was on there a lot. I sure sold a lot of Nice 8N Parts in the past!

I think you will find that the new wheels will drag sideways when turning. Not as much as if the tail wheel was rigid, but will still drag sideways. I have been thinking about how I could add front wheels to my 10ft brush hog like I have on my 110 inch finish mower, but have not yet been able to come up with a solution that is sturdy enough.

Dave

·
Premium Member
3,240 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
They will drag some but should turn like double rear axles on a truck. My hydraulics hold great on my tractor so the front wheels will just be light on the ground for when the rear tire goes in a dip I am hoping I can keep the mower more level? I will test it out soon as I bolt them on. I know I can pop the two wheels off in a few seconds with the key thru the axles and there not below the side steel. One reason I am bolting the works on just in case it is a flop. I can test it on my gravel driveway to see how it tracks and if the double axle pivots since the wheels rotate?

·
Premium Member
3,240 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Mounting the wheels on a pipe so they can pivot would stop that I think? On grass it would seem the slide effect would not hurt the tires but on asphalt it would be way different. Just did some reading on scuffing and flexing of tires on tandem trailers.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Definitely going to do this.

Have been thinking of adding skid plates to the front corners of my brush hog. This is better as the extra width will help with my uneven ground.

Thanks for sharing.

·
Registered
3,724 Posts
Always thinking outside the box, JD!!

My first thought was also that the front wheels will drag in a turn. I'm sure you'll find out soon enough. If they do drag, maybe you can fab up something like these.

You'll get it working the way you want. You always do!! :good2:

·
Registered
12,496 Posts
This is a really cool idea JD4044, I would like the idea of being able to let my cutter float. I'd have to remove the iMATCH because it would truly only work without the toplink hooked up, but this is a really nice idea.:thumbup1gif:

·
Premium Member
7,504 Posts
Some one needs to make a mount/holder for old bowling balls, that will roll in any direction :mocking:

·
Registered
323 Posts
I am kinda on the "Castors would work better" view... but, this design is simple and economical..so... in keeping in that grove...

While it wouldn't "fix" the turning concerns shared here... these might be a better solution as they are flat free, with no tread to "Grab" as you turn...
13smoothie.jpg
Marathon Tires Flat| Northern Tool + Equipment

1 - 14 of 14 Posts