Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Drove 45 miles (one way) to gather this up. 54" JD blade with both cylinders. Needs some TLC and maybe one cylinder replaced. Didn't get the mount for the tractor. May need some help making a new one. Got it cheap!!!!
DSCN5133.JPG DSCN5134.JPG DSCN5135.JPG DSCN5136.JPG DSCN5137.JPG DSCN5137.JPG DSCN5138.JPG DSCN5139.JPG

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I got it torn down for repairs.
DSCN5140.JPG

This part will need the most attention. It's the pivoting part the springs hook to. I have no idea what the one side for the angle cylinder mount looks like.
DSCN5141.JPG DSCN5142.JPG

Some ugly weld that didn't hold:
DSCN5143.JPG

Got the fittings out of the lift cylinder and cleaned the shaft some:
DSCN5144.JPG DSCN5145.JPG

·
Registered
2,554 Posts
Awesome find looks like a great 👍 project. Will love to see how it turns out.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Went and looked over the funky section again. JD calls it the arm in the parts list. It's bent some and has been welded on quite a bit, as you can see on the under side where paint has been burnt off.
DSCN5146.JPG DSCN5147.JPG DSCN5148.JPG

Also, one trip spring 'connector' is an inch further back than the other and welded back on at a different angle. LH in the first pic above.

Here's one bent area:
DSCN5149.JPG

There is also one bend from center in front of the bolt to the side. Hard to see in the pic.
DSCN5150.JPG

Then this mess!
DSCN5151.JPG DSCN5152.JPG

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Been hoping someone with one of these blades would post a few pics to help me see what it's supposed to look like before I start rebuilding this.

·
Registered
12,229 Posts
What model tractor is the blade for? Maybe a 120/140 or 425,445,455? I have one for my 445, but I haven't used it in a few years.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
This was originally for a 400. I have a 316. But from what I have seen in the parts manuals, the only difference is the tractor mount itself.

I ordered the new fittings & hoses for the lift cylinder yesterday. Been thinking what to do about the arm to rebuild it.

Reactions: BigJim55

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Nice, I've been watching for one of those, looks like you've got your work cut out with it. Keep posting your progress, I'm interested in following this.
It's slow right now, have plenty of repairs on customers mowers going on. Finally have a piece of 3"X2" angle to make the top cross part from.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Got the fittings and hoses. Need to flush the cylinder, probably with ATF.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
If someone has a 54 or 56 blade out there, I need a pic and some measurements for the 1/2" hole for the angle cylinder. It was under this mess:
DSCN5138A.jpg

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
While waiting for mower parts to arrive, I decided to repair the skid shoes for this. They were in bad shape.
DSCN5157.JPG

Found some stock and bent the ends to match.
DSCN5158.JPG

Trimmed the originals for a band saw cut.
DSCN5159.JPG DSCN5160.JPG DSCN5161.JPG

Trimmed the excess off the 'new' parts.
DSCN5162.JPG

Ground some bevels and welded them together.
DSCN5163.JPG

After a massage with the flap disc.
DSCN5164.JPG

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Kenny,

Attached is a 56 blade operator's manual that has some illustrations of the front cylinder bolt arrangement that may help you out...

Chuck
That helps, but I don't have the factory angle bracket for that position. I'm having to fabricate this all from pics with no solid measurements!

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Guess I'm too much a perfectionist. I just like to rebuild things as close to what was original as I can.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I was able to get a 'close' measurement for the angle cylinder mount at the blade and have 'new' parts made up to rebuild this. I'll be working on it more since I have my trailer built.

DSCN5219.JPG DSCN5220.JPG DSCN5221.JPG

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Well, I have already got it back together. I put the parts back into the blade to help in locating them. Got them aligned well and tacked it all. Took it back out and finished the welding. Rechecked fit and all is good. Gave it a coat of Rust Reformer for now.

DSCN5226.JPG DSCN5227.JPG DSCN5228.JPG

Also coated the feet.

DSCN5229.JPG

On my way to getting this usable again.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts