Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
606 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all, The other day I had an idea to use my ROPS as the basis for a tool basket. I'm in a flat area, it's always folded, and it seemed like a good use of space. I searched on the site and didn't find any one else doing it, so I just went about it the best way I thought I could. I have a friend with a CNC plasma table, so I got him the dimensions and the general idea. He called me and said it was done and he really did a fine job of taking a general idea and making it look really nice, IMHO. He added an area in the middle and put my initial in it, which looks cool. It was a prototype, but the only thing I had to change was the bent up lip you can see in the photo's where it's raw and I was mocking it up. It was just too close to my head with the ROPS up. I am over 6 foot and use the seat all the way back, and even though it's rarely up I didn't want it to be a hazard. So I trimmed that down and also bent it to about 45°, then painted it with aerosol bed liner spray. My friend could have powder coated it, but I was impatient. With the way it's set up now, it carries two chainsaws and other stuff easily, the pins are all you need to manipulate it from a rack to a ROPS, and it doesn't seem to be in the way of anything. Of course you have to look through it, but it doesn't seem too bad that way. IT also comes on and off pretty quick, and I have ideas to make that faster. I might even mount my Hi-Lift jack on it. Let me know what you all think.
:munch:
8huiK8r.jpg
rr10UE0.jpg
HPzFDDI.jpg
This is the factory approved broomstick of installation. :)
TFv2s96.jpg
Here is what I made to hold the ROPS about 90° to make it a basket. The one side bolted stays out of the way when you fold it up.
W3FpZci.jpg

·
Registered
606 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
I forgot to link the guy who made it, https://www.facebook.com/holmanwelding/ I tested mine on a 5055d and my 5055E, it fit both. So I think it should fit all the 5e series. I'm sure he could crank them out for the other sizes with a little time to scale it and some measurements. He's super reasonable and a solid guy, but it's a side job and he might need some time to tool up if a bunch of people order. Since mine was a prototype and I built some of it you'll have to ask him on pricing.

·
Premium Member
6,593 Posts
:thumbup1gif::thumbup1gif:

Definitely a different approach to a nagging problem. Nice job!

·
Registered
471 Posts
Thats a really cool idea:cheers:

·
Bonehead Club Lackey
10,265 Posts
I like the idea of using the ROPs when at 90° for storage but then I'd be back to banging my head on it again. :banghead: Now with the ROPs up and making a shelf out the back and hooked to the top half might be a better idea for me. :dunno:

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
Nice job! man if you put a cushion on that thing set it in the field it would make one heck of a nice deer stand. I'm just say'n.:dunno:

·
Registered
606 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I used it for the first time the other day, it worked great carrying the saws and stuff into the woods to cut some wood. I folded it up when skidding some logs up a hill just in case, and I liked the added benefit that it might stop a chain if something went wrong. Of course, there's still plenty of room for a chain to get you beneath the point it folds, but it might help.

I welded up some little spacers today for the U bolts, so it raises them up on the top side of the bar. That way I can use them for tie down points across the two saw holes.

Between that rack and the receiver hitch mount I put on my quick hitch, I can carry everything I need. Does everyone have a lazy friend that rides the logs you're skidding out of the woods?
0EBLBmC.jpg

·
Registered
222 Posts
1 - 11 of 11 Posts