Green Tractor Talk banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Somewhat anyway. I am going to purchase a tractor for the field and one for the lawn. From the posts here, the X749 seems to be king. Unsure if I need diesel, but the large tractor will be, so why mess with more cans of different types of fuel.

Right now I am looking at a 3720 or a 4320. Both are nice units. Both are close in price. I fear going to big and I fear wanting to upgrade later.:creep:

Suggestions and options that should be ordered?

·
Premium Member
6,698 Posts
Sometimes all you can do is take your best shot. What works now, may not work later. Things can and do change. Now is a good time to buy. Good luck with your decision.

·
Banned
9 Posts
Howdy!
Just found the site..Awesome Site!

Its not often you hear of people down sizing, but MANY times you hear people saying they wish they had something bigger...

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
True dat MeanGreen. I think I am leaning to the 4320 right now. More due to how close the two machines are in price. Bang for your buck thing.

·
Registered
280 Posts
i would get the 3720 with the cab option.... a comfortable tractor is the best you can get!!!!!! also the 3720 would be better for the "amount" of land. but thats just my opinion

·
Registered
430 Posts
FordGuy,
How many acres of field and what do you plan on doing with it? I have been very pleased with the 4520 cab tractor, good enough for small field jobs and compact enough to work in smaller places building landscapes.

I am trying to decide right now if I want to pull the trigger on an X749, very nice machine but expensive to me. I would recommend it if your lawn is conjested and you have needs for the AWS and FWD combination. This will be beneficial for my work but would be unnecessary for my own lawn. On my own lawn I make sure it is easier to mow and work with. I can drive my tractors just about anywhere on my lawn if needed.

That said consider what you need for the long haul, you may well get by with less mower and more tractor implements instead.

·
Registered
382 Posts
Somewhat anyway. I am going to purchase a tractor for the field and one for the lawn. From the posts here, the X749 seems to be king. Unsure if I need diesel, but the large tractor will be, so why mess with more cans of different types of fuel.

Right now I am looking at a 3720 or a 4320. Both are nice units. Both are close in price. I fear going to big and I fear wanting to upgrade later.:creep:

Suggestions and options that should be ordered?
One type of fuel is easier! If I happen to see a used diesel Garden tractor, i may have to consider a trade up! :D

·
Premium Member
3,564 Posts
Nuru, We love our diesel Gator. Its easy on fuel, but it is noisy. Well worth it!

Fordguy, I am a bit north of you in Michigan, 2 hours north of Detroit. You are welcome to test out my tractor in my field using any of the implements I have. Maybe it would help you make up your mind?

I would go for the 4x20 series and think about a cab if you plan to use it in the winter.

·
Registered
382 Posts
Yes i drove a couple of gators but I did not have a place to keep one so I bailed on it. However, if I find a correctly priced used X740, I can trade up to, I may pull the trigger on it. i will probably have to wait until next year so the 2008's are priced like the 2007 are this year.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I am still beating around the bush and kicking tires. Still planning on a 4320 and no one has them in stock, so I need to order. I am wondering if it might be better to order in the spring.

·
Registered
382 Posts
I dunno, isn't spring when everyone wants a new tractor and in the winter, the sale are slumped?

·
Registered
430 Posts
I decided to buy mine earlier this month so that I have time over the winter to get everything worked out for Spring. With the X749 coming I am thinking a new trailer may be needed to reduce trips hauling this stuff around.

FordGuy,
If you are planning on an X749 then I would vote for a 4320 or 4520 to go with it. Since the mower can handle the smaller jobs in close quarters the 4X20 series would be an excellent jump in size. While the 3720 is a good tractor the larger 4X20 models will be better for any ground engaging tasks.

In my case I am hoping the X749, 4520 and 110tlb will cover the majority of my work. Plan to sell the 820 this spring and use the proceeds for more implements and or trailers.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts