1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
568 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Magneto Rebuilding
anybody ever use these guys before? they sound like they know their stuff

problem i have a fairbanks morse type J on my 35 model D have no spark
changed points and condensor still nothing. whats next besides removing it?

should have a wico x from factory but it was common for dealers to change them to the fairbanks as a cheaper option for customers

is it worth it to change it back to a wico x which parts ect are more common these days.
for the fairbanks everything besides the points are super rare.

this place looks like a good option if i need it rebuilt. would have to pay shipping ect
what does it take to swap it back to a wico x? is it worth it?
this is a flywheel start model so in has an impulse spring i can here it clicking

thanks for any info:greentractorride:

·
Registered
715 Posts
A couple of checks:

1. With points open there should be continuity across them. Fairly low resistance - a few ohms (maybe 10s) or so. With points closed, should be near zero ohms.
2. From spark plug to ground (regardless of points) there should be continuity - a few hundred or maybe a thousand ohms.
3. The magnet should be magnetic.

If 1 or 2 fail, you could have a bad connection or wire (you fix) or an open in one of the coils (rebuild).

EDIT: I forgot about the distributor. If there is no continuity in check #2, it could be that. Check from the distributor center wire first before you check at the spark plug to eliminate that from the equation. Obviously, the distributor has to be pointing to the cylinder you are checking.

Al

·
Registered
290 Posts
In my opinion you should go back to the factory mag.Keep your eyes open as they do sometimes come up for sale on ebay.As for mags being re buildt i would go with Mainely Magneto's.Their are also others who do work on mags such as Marks magneto,Rebuildt mags (Rudy Calin),Kevin's Magneto Service,Adrian's Magneto Service,Lightning magneto (Mitch Malcolm) and various others if you get any of the antique tractor magazine's most of these i listed will be listed in the classified section with contact details or search them up on the web

Magneto Repair, Restore, Rebuild Service

Magneto Repair and Magneto Parts at Kevin's Magneto Service

·
Registered
4,238 Posts
Ask around your area. There's probably a number of local guys that fix mags. Ask the dirtest looking guy at NAPA. I found 2 guys within 5 miles of me that do excellent work. They don't advertise, you just have to know of them. The one guy said he could have the mag fixed the next day. Also said what to check, as above, to see if it needed repair.

·
Registered
568 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks all
finding the motivation is my biggest problem right now
the weather is crappy and have other things going on like everybody else
i will get to working on it soon and let you all know i ever get it to fire again:greentractorride:

·
Registered
5 Posts
I dont remember the name of his business but the fellows name is Rudy and he is from Minn his number is 651-233-6655 he rebuilt a mag for me and did a awesome job. wasn't cheap but it was like new when done. he is a wealth of knowledge. He also will likely have the mag you need there and may buy your core. good luck

1 - 8 of 8 Posts