Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
22,632 Posts
Same here - never wet mail. And my mailbox takes a beating as it is along a state paved road - the plow trucks are pretty wound up when they go by.

·
Registered
1,836 Posts
Same here - never wet mail. And my mailbox takes a beating as it is along a state paved road - the plow trucks are pretty wound up when they go by.
Same here. Ive got an old Rubbermaid box thats been put back together too many times, but unless the door is left open, it stays dry inside.
Those plow trucks do their best, it seems sometimes, to find a way in the Winter to either destroy it or pack it with snow, but its still plugging along!

·
Registered
2,312 Posts
Just a simple project and a simple less than a minute YouBoob video I finished off.

Mailbox Grate - YouTube
Good idea, someone else must have a mailbox like mine. The heavy steel one I put up years ago to thwart the mailbox-baseball players had one drawback, the door is so heavy it's just flat and does not seal well. To make things worse, the box faces north, which is the wind direction for most of the bad weather. But the mail doesn't get nearly as wet as when the boxes were torn up and laying on the ground. :laugh:

But anymore we get very little non-junk mail anyway and one of us is usually here to pick it up before it stays in there very long. And the would-be sluggers leave it alone. :good2:

·
Premium Member
7,670 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Our mailbox faces north, and the wind drives water inside since it's just a sheet metal Home Cheapot special. The raised ribs on the bottom aren't raised enough to do any good at circulating air beneath the mail.

Also, our mail service is so spotty that we never know when the mail carrier will show up; so it's not uncommon for mail to sit in the box a couple of days since I'm not going out to check a second time unless I know for certain the carrier has delivered that day.

·
Registered
22,632 Posts
Our mailbox faces north, and the wind drives water inside since it's just a sheet metal Home Cheapot special. The raised ribs on the bottom aren't raised enough to do any good at circulating air beneath the mail.

Also, our mail service is so spotty that we never know when the mail carrier will show up; so it's not uncommon for mail to sit in the box a couple of days since I'm not going out to check a second time unless I know for certain the carrier has delivered that day.
Maybe one of these would help - a mailbox alert flag. When you close the mailbox you set the flag down. When the box is opened by the mail carrier it pops up and tells you that it has been opened. I would have one but I can’t see our mailbox from the house - have to walk half way to it before I can see it. I’m already dressed to be outside by then so I just finish the hike.

Amazon.com: Mail Time! Yellow Mailbox Alert Signal Flag for Long Driveways: Home Improvement

4FB9241C-F042-4304-9C1D-33BF55ACAE49.jpeg

·
Registered
5,926 Posts
Pony express only delivers to the post office miles away. No mail delivery out here in the wilds so no problem. I do have a mailbox to install someday if civilization shows up.:dunno:

·
Premium Member
7,670 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Maybe one of these would help - a mailbox alert flag. When you close the mailbox you set the flag down. When the box is opened by the mail carrier it pops up and tells you that it has been opened. I would have one but I can’t see our mailbox from the house - have to walk half way to it before I can see it. I’m already dressed to be outside by then so I just finish the hike.

Amazon.com: Mail Time! Yellow Mailbox Alert Signal Flag for Long Driveways: Home Improvement

Thanks Stan! That's what our mailbox looks like, minus the gold trim. I'll have to look into that gizmo.

·
Registered
22,632 Posts
Thanks Stan! That's what our mailbox looks like, minus the gold trim. I'll have to look into that gizmo.
I see a what might be a difference in the mailbox doors. With a lot of them the door closes on the outside of the box like this -

29C45F5E-0BE9-4BBF-B592-1136F914BE37.jpeg

We bought a new one some years back at Lowe’s - the door closes on the inside of the box like this and is held shut by a magnet -

9B34934E-D889-4557-9EDD-C9768A9A1E2E.jpeg

That isn’t exactly the one we have but you get the idea. I think that would make a big difference in water getting into it or not.

·
Registered
2,312 Posts

View attachment 656872
According to this line in their description it would not work with mine:

Will not work on any mailbox where door fits flush inside the face of the box

This is the way mine is made:

mb1.JPG

·
Registered
22,632 Posts
According to this line in their description it would not work with mine:

Will not work on any mailbox where door fits flush inside the face of the box

This is the way mine is made:

View attachment 657000
True enough - it’s one or the other I guess. Choice of dry mail you can leave in your box or the alert to go get it before it gets wet.

·
Registered
2,312 Posts
True enough - it’s one or the other I guess. Choice of dry mail you can leave in your box or the alert to go get it before it gets wet.
Yeah, like so many other things today, because of a few a$$holes everybody has to suffer.

Now that Christmas shopping season is starting and all of the stealing from cars in the parking lots, already hearing all the warnings about how you must not leave anything of value exposed in your vehicle. They make it sound like if you don't have it out of sight and under lock and key it's your fault if someone steals it. Same with the mailboxes, if you don't have one that can resist a baseball bat it's your fault if some poor misguided vandal destroys it.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts