Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Howdy,
I recently purchased a very clean X540 with 574 hours on the clock. I has the 48 inch deck, bagger and power flow. Besides the maintenance listed in the service section, what are some hidden things to take care of. Also, is 574 hrs a lot? I want this one to last me a long while! Any do's and dont's are welcome :hornets:

·
Registered
421 Posts
574 hours is just getting started. The x540 has been discontinued for 5 or so years, so that would mean it only had, at maximum, 100ish hours/per year put on it

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
5,484 Posts
As advised, just maintain your machine! Personally, as for the engine oil change, I do my stuff annually, even though they don't see very many hours in a year. Where I say stuff, specifically, I'm talking about my Honda push mower, my 2520 CUT, and my new X390!:)

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys. This is the most expensive grass cutter I have ever purchased. I plan on getting my $$ worth.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Last year I picked up a 540 setup just like yours. 2011 with 370 hours. Superficially it looked alright. The price was right. Eventually I discovered that it had not been well maintained. It was used to mow a rough field down to the nubs on an alpaca farm. It was stored with the alpacas in a dirt floor barn. The dusty fiber coated everything except what they garden hosed regularly. It ended up needing a lot of deck work, PTO clutch, and a head gasket and carb rebuild. I ended up over budget though it is doing well for me. The head gasket was detected on a bleed down test when I took it in for a valve adjustment. I had some trouble with black oil after I changed it and ended up changing it again. The second time I dumped the oil immediately after a hot mow and that’s seemed to kick the gunk out of the pan. It has retained a nice color since. I’ve put 50 hours on it and have really enjoyed them. I put suspension under my XB200 seat, added arm rests and a spinner. It’s like mowing on a lawn chair.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts