Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was at my dealer first of the week and inquired about a adjustable lift link for my Gen 2 2025R. Going to replace the non adjustable by purchasing another right side adjustable link. Was quite explicit about it being the Gen 2. So parts guy is looking at computer and says this is all I can find and has me look at it and I say it looks like it and if it's for a Gen 2 it's what I want. Price is about $260.00. Have him order it.
Last evening in response to my post about pros and cons of having 2 adjustable links I find out that part should only be $90.00. Further responses indicate that part ordered is for a Gen 1 2025R. I call dealer and talk to same parts guy. Tell him what I had found on GTT. Give him part number I should get. He finds a listing for it but can not find a parts diagram for the Gen 2. He agrees to order the correct part.

Then tells me I will need to pay a 15% restocking fee on first part. I tell him that's not agreeable with me and that it seems to me that he should know his parts and machines and I was looking at diagram he said was for my machine. He then asked if I would split the restocking fee with him. I pay half and they pay half.

So question is should I bite the bullet and pay half of the restocking fee which would be $18.00for my half. IOr should I just dig in my heels and say not paying anything and that you should know what you are selling and what it fits.

I do want to maintain good relations with this dealer and I bought the tractor from them. I am thinking pay the few bucks and just be a lot more viligent and explicit in the future or am I being to easy?

Opinions please!

·
Administrator
17,263 Posts
I wouldn't pay it, especially if you were clear on it being for a GEN2. Talk to the manager...

·
Premium Member
10,928 Posts
If I'm not mistaken we see the same parts listing as the dealer.

Below is how the 2025R comes up in JD Parts.

Quite honestly, I would have them verify the parts before ordering anything.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
10,928 Posts
Was at my dealer first of the week and inquired about a adjustable lift link for my Gen 2 2025R. Going to replace the non adjustable by purchasing another right side adjustable link. Was quite explicit about it being the Gen 2.
As I think about this... as discussed previously, JD and the parts system doesn't recognize "Gen" nomenclature or model year when it comes to ordering parts. They go by the model number and/or the serial number.

Looking at the info I posted above, the serial number split is shown in the two sections. Just to confirm, does your serial number fall into the range shown on the second section?

·
Administrator
17,263 Posts
JD created this mess by keeping the same model number on a completely different machine, they should have to own it!

·
Premium Member
423 Posts
The 2720 is the same as the 2032r which is different from the 2032r. :good2:
Yeah this is a mess. I spent a hr at the parts counter one day getting a full filter maintenance replacement set-up. There's gotta be a better way!

·
Premium Member
10,928 Posts
The 2720 is the same as the 2032r which is different from the 2032r. :good2:
Actually, there are some minor differences between the 2720 and Gen-1 2032R and JD saw fit to use a new model designation - which makes sense. The Gen-1 / Gen-2 2032R thing is where they really screwed the pooch because there is no similarity between the two. They repeated the mistake with the 2025R and now parts and accessories folks will suffer for it for years to come.

·
Administrator
20,351 Posts
Actually, there are some minor differences between the 2720 and Gen-1 2032R
The hood stickers have different part numbers. :good2:

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
As I think about this... as discussed previously, JD and the parts system doesn't recognize "Gen" nomenclature or model year when it comes to ordering parts. They go by the model number and/or the serial number.

Looking at the info I posted above, the serial number split is shown in the two sections. Just to confirm, does your serial number fall into the range shown on the second section?
Yes my serial number is in the bottom section. Ends in 100219.

·
Premium Member
4,711 Posts
You bought it there, that’s the best kind of customer. Find your salesman or go up the ladder. Most parts guys would have asked you the serial number and this would not have happened.

·
Premium Member
1,651 Posts
I had a dealer in the Past try that several Times In My Case I gave them the right Part Number to order and they would order the wrong Part then Tell Me I had to Pay as it Non returnable to Deere. Pure and simple I told them I would not Pay Under any circumstance. In Your Case I would do the same. I would not Pay! Keep In Mind You do Have a choice In your area of Cuba IL Because you have at least 3 or 4 different Deere dealer outfits under 40 Miles I have a choice of 4 dealer outfits within a 30 to 60 mile radius But the One I have dealt with for Mostly the Last 15 years would not Have Made that Mistake even with a 2025R or a 2032R:bigthumb:

·
Registered
21,446 Posts
You bought it there, that’s the best kind of customer. Find your salesman or go up the ladder. Most parts guys would have asked you the serial number and this would not have happened.
I don’t have any Deere dealers around here but....when I order parts for my pickup the first thing that is done is enter the VIN. No issues with the correct part being ordered.

There is no reason a parts person at any dealership shouldn’t do this especially with the confusion of generation model numbers.

When I order parts for my tractor from GFP I first go to the Deere parts site. I pull up my tractor by serial number range. How hard is that? If I can do it......

·
Registered
2,251 Posts
I wouldn’t pay it.

I deal with and order parts for our aircraft at work all the time. And a lot of parts are serial number specific. You have to look at the parts applicability code and then refer to a serial number breakdown at he bottom of the page.

I order all my parts through the Deere online parts. The parts people at our dealership are awesome but it’s something I can do. I make sure I get what I need and then pick them up at the dealership on my way home from work so I don’t have to pay shipping. Gives them business and it’s easier for me and them.

It also lets me bug their one mechanic for advice on a few things every now and then.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Premium Member
10,928 Posts
I don’t have any Deere dealers around here but....when I order parts for my pickup the first thing that is done is enter the VIN. No issues with the correct part being ordered.

There is no reason a parts person at any dealership shouldn’t do this especially with the confusion of generation model numbers.

When I order parts for my tractor from GFP I first go to the Deere parts site. I pull up my tractor by serial number range. How hard is that? If I can do it......
Where are you choosing the serial number for 2520 parts? I only see one parts catalog. It's the same for my 2720. There may however be line-items within the catalog where the part number may vary with S/N range.

I only see the serial number divided parts listings on the tractors where either JD has made significant design changes (i.e. 1025R) or where they use the same model number for multiple tractor designs (i.e. 2025R and 2032R).

Attachments

·
Premium Member
10,928 Posts
I order all my parts through the Deere online parts. The parts people at our dealership are awesome but it’s something I can do. I make sure I get what I need and then pick them up at the dealership on my way home from work so I don’t have to pay shipping. Gives them business and it’s easier for me and them.
Even going back to my old 175 Hydro days I **always** looked up my own part numbers (Pre-Internet and I had printed parts manual at the time). But... I also always had the parts guy look them up when I got there. Not only did it familiarize me with the equipment but it served as a double check on my part.

Most times we would agree but sometimes he would come up with a different number and it would be that one of us made a mistake or other times it would be that the number was superseded which the printed manual could not tell me.

·
Registered
21,446 Posts
Where are you choosing the serial number for 2520 parts? I only see one parts catalog. It's the same for my 2720. There may however be line-items within the catalog where the part number may vary with S/N range.

I only see the serial number divided parts listings on the tractors where either JD has made significant design changes (i.e. 1025R) or where they use the same model number for multiple tractor designs (i.e. 2025R and 2032R).
Yup - you're right. I was thinking of when I look up owner's/technical manuals.

John Deere Ag - New Equipment: Technical Publications - Equipment List

·
Premium Member
10,928 Posts

·
Registered
4,957 Posts
Dealer records

With some other brand dealers, I was used to the dealer having a record of the machine we bought from them. If there was any question at all about a part, they would look at the sales records and verify model and if necessary serial number.

I bought my 790 used but it was from a local dealer originally and has the sticker on it to prove it. I knew the original owner well and when I first needed a part, I asked if they could verify it using the original owner's name. NADA, nope, don't keep that info you have to provide exact model and serial number.

I'm still a bit surprised at the difference. I don't know if that's a dealer specific thing or no JD dealer looks back at sales records if necessary to verify parts.

Treefarmer

1 - 20 of 37 Posts