Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
503 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Started working on a 1/2 scale replica of a John Deere H back in the fall of 2012. Started out with this old Gilson RM7 mower, which was the first riding lawnmower my dad owned.

With some slight modifications to where the gearbox goes, I will be using the rear end section of the mower.

Installed temperary rear tires and rims to be able to get proper height for front end. Used a old Bosch conveyor gearbox from work for the steering.

·
Registered
503 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Installed engine, another gearbox for flywheel, and belt pulley, seat and steering.

This is what it looked like in July of 2013, even had it running for about 15 seconds but had some major carb trouble to figure out.

·
Registered
503 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Modified the steering post and added throttle.

Built hand clutch but have not installed yet.

Bought some used tires in January of 2014 and got installed.

·
Registered
503 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Got back at the project last month. Got the steering shaft welded to the pedestal. mounted a gas tank and got the little bugger running for the first time in about 20 yrs. A lot of smoking at first but that has seemed to have gone away. Even took it for a drive through the subdivision. Here a couple of really short videos of the engine running. Maybe I can find someone to tape me driving it around.
You can see the flywheel turn in this video.

You can see the clutch pulley turning a little here, it is just held on with a clamp right now.

Here's a video of me driving it around the back yard. Using a screw driver to tighten the belt pulley as I do not have the hand clutch arm installed yet. Figuring out how the hand clutch is going to move the pulley into position will be a challenge.

·
Registered
503 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Got the hood roughed in but still have a lot of work to do to make it look right.

·
Bonehead Club Lackey
10,200 Posts
KEWL!!!!!!!!!!!!!:bigthumb:

·
Registered
4,249 Posts
Truly a labor of love. Nice work so far, thanks for sharing.

·
Registered
498 Posts
The most awesome thing I've seen today

:good2:

And I just received my grapple from Artillian (which I love) so that is saying something :bigthumb:

Some day I hope to make a G in this scale for my father

·
Administrator
20,354 Posts
What a cool project. :drinks:

Subscribed.:thumbup1gif:

·
GTT's Pilot in Command (PIC)
8,558 Posts

·
Registered
740 Posts
Some day I hope to make a G in this scale for my father
Isn't a 1/2 scale G really just a full scale H? :lol::yahoo::lol:

Seriously though, that thing is really cool. I'd be curious to know how much it will be able pull once it is finished. Any plans for a half scale trip plow?

·
Registered
498 Posts
I guess so...

Isn't a 1/2 scale G really just a full scale H? :lol::yahoo::lol:

Seriously though, that thing is really cool. I'd be curious to know how much it will be able pull once it is finished. Any plans for a half scale trip plow?
Yeah I guess it kind of is :lol::bigbeer:

·
Registered
10,284 Posts
That is a very cool project. :bigthumb: It's looking nice so far. I'll be watching for more progress.
Thanks for posting.

P.S. The dog doesn't look to happy.

·
Old Pa-pa
11,414 Posts
Considering what you started with, I'm impressed as heck!
Looking forward to seeing your progress.:good2:

·
Premium Member
6,593 Posts
I LOVE it! That is just fantastic. Keep the pics coming. :good2:

·
Registered
503 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Finally got some time to work on the replica. Roughed in the hood, installed work platform, installed hand clutch and replaced front wheels and rims with bigger ones.

IMG_3924.JPG
IMG_3925.JPG
IMG_3926.JPG
IMG_3927.JPG
IMG_3928.JPG
IMG_3929.JPG
IMG_3930.JPG

1 - 20 of 34 Posts