Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 2016 x738. Has anyone made their exhaust quieter without causing to much exhaust restriction to lose power? I would like to mow without the need of hearing protection.

·
Registered
390 Posts
I personally would not mow without hearing protection. It's the overall same concept as riding a motorcycle without hearing protection. Constant wind noise is one of the more dangerous sounds to our ears. I picked up a set of the Bose QC 35ii just for the mower.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

·
Administrator
20,664 Posts
I picked up a set of the Bose QC 35ii just for the mower.
Do they have an actual Noise Reduction Rating or are you just using the Active Noise Cancellation? I've been on the search for a decent set of headphones that will allow you to wear a full brimmed hat and provide actual NRR. Noise cancelling would be a nice addition, but it does nothing for reducing the decibels reaching your ears and doing damage.

·
Registered
390 Posts
Comparing them to 3M just basic shooting muffs, they're not as quiet, but pretty close without anc turned on. The active noise canceling does reduce the decibels you hear by emitting sound waves at 180 degrees to sounds heard. This effectively cancels out the sound pressure that would have been exerted on your ear drum. I can tell a massive difference compared to when I was just using in ear headphones, I no longer feel like I've been on a construction site for 8 hours.

·
Administrator
20,664 Posts
Comparing them to 3M just basic shooting muffs, they're not as quiet, but pretty close without anc turned on. The active noise canceling does reduce the decibels you hear by emitting sound waves at 180 degrees to sounds heard. This effectively cancels out the sound pressure that would have been exerted on your ear drum. I can tell a massive difference compared to when I was just using in ear headphones, I no longer feel like I've been on a construction site for 8 hours.

Thank you sir. :hi:I will look into these. :thumbup1gif:

I apologize for the hijack. Let's get back to noisy tractors!:cheers:

·
Registered
390 Posts
Thank you sir. :hi:I will look into these. 1gif:

I apologize for the hijack. Let's get back to noisy tractors!:cheers:
Speaking to noisy tractors. I was actually discussing with my buddy on how to either, A. Put a temperature controlled electric fan clutch on my X758, or B. Just installing a high volume electric fan with a thermostat.
I truly believe a large amount of the noise aer hear comes from that massive belt driven solid lock up fan between our knees.

Then we discussed straight piping the little diesel with a hood stack lmao.

Having worked around dry bulk blowing cement powder on to equipment and semi trucks with vac systems that will pick up a 20 lb rock from 2 feet away, I can without pause, say that wind noise is one of the most straining sounds on our ears. The closer the object gets to breaking the sound barrier during operation, the worse it gets. (Think of a whip cracking).

·
Premium Member
12,104 Posts
It’s very unlikely that it is the exhaust you are hearing. It’s the noise of the mower deck.
I was going to suggest shutting off the engine to see if it was just the deck but then thought... wait... what? :)

·
Registered
125 Posts
You can definitely hear the exhaust a bit when it higher grass and it's putting a bit of strain on the mower or going up hills while mowing. I think it sounds pretty good....but the deck is 80% of the noise. Especially if you have gator blades on. I mowed with my father-in-laws X730 over the weekend and didn't have my earmuffs/tunes on. It's amazing how much quieter his deck is without gator blades on it. It's also the edge 62" deck I believe and mine is the 54" HC deck. His is waaaaay quieter for some reason! My previous x590 with the 54" Accel was just as loud too. I'm pretty sure it's the gator blades.

·
Registered
9,373 Posts
I suggest mowing with a 140 for a week and the x7 will appear nearly silent.

Honestly I don’t think there are any real options unless you add a second muffler on the outside of the engine. Exhaust wrap might help a bit, but I think most noise will be coming out the exhaust, not through the hood.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts