Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,347 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have this 60" KFI snow plow. The thing is a beast. I love the tapered blade because it can really throw the snow. But being only 60" wide is a little troublesome on my curvy driveway. On the inside turns, with the blade way out on the loader, it makes a mess and I run over lots of snow. I would like to extend the blade 6-12" on each side. I don't think rubber horse stall matting will cut it for this. Especially the way I drive... I have a little mig welder, but I can't bend steel. Before I bring it to my neighbor with a welding shop to fabricate professionally, any suggestions?

·
Registered
309 Posts
Make the tractor articulated in the middle ........ lol. Actually, cut the arms back as far as you can while still maintaining full blade travel. Will make it easier on the tractor as well while giving windrows and snowbanks less leverage against you as you plow. The further out the bade is, the more leverage the snow has against your front end. I don't think the tractor will be able to handle more blade width, especially if the tall end is fully loaded.

·
Premium Member
1,347 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Cutting back the arms has actually been on my to-do list as well.

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
39,894 Posts
How thick is the moldboard steel?
When I made this blade I made cuts in the angle iron to make bending easier and just worked it down. I spot welded the angle iron to the moldboard as I bent it.
I would not worry about making a butt joint an overlap joint would actually be better, IMO.
IMG_3931.jpg IMG_3938.JPG

·
Registered
455 Posts
You could do as I did, and use a section Semi-Truck mud flap on each end of your snow plow ...
I added 6 inches to each end of my plow, and found the rubber mud flap stiff enough as to not fold back when plowing snow , unless I hit a solid object with the rubber edge
0D221B70-0C61-42A3-80F3-091D266F8158.jpeg

·
Premium Member
1,194 Posts
I used the horse stall mat. Added about 6" on each side. It works well and does not bend due to the curving of the blade. It is also nice that I can get up close to cars or house and does not scratch anything.

·
Premium Member
1,347 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well alright. If truck mud flap and horse stall mat is working for you guys, Maybe I'll give that a shot. I have horse stall mat laying around, and was planning to use some of it to replace the AR500 cutting edge too. Now I know what I'll do with the rest of it.

Of course part of me is thinking hydraulic wings that swing in and out would be cool too. But that's a hydraulic rabbit hole for another day.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts