Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,228 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After a fairly significant near death experience placing a 6' costco wreath on our 24' ranch style gate last fall I bought a genie 34/19 tow behind manlift. I've used it a few times and it's been good, especially for the ALS ice bucket challenge.

Today I broke it out to get to the top of our new 20' windmill. It was about 20' up,and about 10-12' out. The outriggers were all down and balanced, but I lost my nerve, gave up, and came down. It was the 12' out part that freaked me out.

How much faith should I put in the balancing computer and the outriggers?? Am I safe as long as I have 4 green lights?? It'll scream at me if it goes off balance, but do I have to worry that she's gonna tumble over with my 220lb a$$ in it, right after it starts screaming?

Thanks for any advice and insights.

-J.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
1,786 Posts
You'll be fine (make sure to set up a camera aiming at you before you do this next time....):laugh:

I have to believe that if you've got it properly anchored and are using it as directed and within it's limits, that you should be fine.

I went the other way when I nearly fell off the roof putting up exterior x-mas lights - I simply stopped putting them up.

·
Premium Member
2,228 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm not ready to stop putting up lights yet....but you're very right, it is a valid option.

My brain says I should be fine if I'm using it right, and I was, but my spidy-senses weren't feeling good.....

As for the camera.....I might as well entertain someone if I'm gonna get messed up.

-J.

·
Registered
3,218 Posts
I'm not ready to stop putting up lights yet....but you're very right, it is a valid option.

My brain says I should be fine if I'm using it right, and I was, but my spidy-senses weren't feeling good.....

As for the camera.....I might as well entertain someone if I'm gonna get messed up.

-J.

Well, at least with your professional skill set, your colleagues should be able to put you back together again.:thumbup1gif:

·
Premium Member
2,228 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That's true. I got a guy.

·
Administrator
17,067 Posts
Old(er) age, common sense, and mortality are setting in...it happens to the best of us. I too agree you will be fine, I am sure there are many, many safety's and protections built in since this is designed to lift humans.

·
Bonehead Club Lackey
10,189 Posts
I don't trust machines, I do trust my gut. :)

·
Registered
616 Posts
After a fairly significant near death experience placing a 6' costco wreath on our 24' ranch style gate last fall I bought a genie 34/19 tow behind manlift. I've used it a few times and it's been good, especially for the ALS ice bucket challenge.

Today I broke it out to get to the top of our new 20' windmill. It was about 20' up,and about 10-12' out. The outriggers were all down and balanced, but I lost my nerve, gave up, and came down. It was the 12' out part that freaked me out.

How much faith should I put in the balancing computer and the outriggers?? Am I safe as long as I have 4 green lights?? It'll scream at me if it goes off balance, but do I have to worry that she's gonna tumble over with my 220lb a$$ in it, right after it starts screaming?

Thanks for any advice and insights.

-J.
Good Lord Jer, send a kid up there in the lift, if they fall they bounce!!:lol::lol:

·
Premium Member
1,786 Posts

-J.

I was on the peak of a 2-story home, I'd guess it was about a 45 degree pitch and I started sliding uncontrolled towards the edge. Spun around and barely grabbed the peak. Had I not grabbed it I absolutely would have slid right off the roof. I said to myself - this is a STUPID risk to put up twinkling lights for a month or so, only to have to pull them back down.

I've since picked a BIG pine tree in my yard - probably 25ft or so and filled it with the large outdoor bulbs. That one tree is my outdoor decoration and the lights stay on it year-round. From the road you can't tell they're on there in the summer anyway. Looks beautiful with the freshly fallen snow over the lights. Which reminds me - i've got to check those suckers and make sure they're functioning before things get cold - thanks for the reminder!:laugh:

·
Registered
223 Posts
I really hate to say this , but it is a TRUE fact. All equipment are designed with safety features, that should prevent injuries if properly operated . In almost all instances of injures its the operator at fault not the equipment. All safety features are required by OSHA to be inspected daily before operation. We ALL should be following operator procedures no matter what equipment we are using, JD or others.

·
Premium Member
2,228 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I don't trust machines, I do trust my gut. :)
Me too. I've always been that way, never been one to push limits unless I'd done it slowly, bit by bit. Going 25' up and 12' out, when it feels not right IS NOT bit by bit!!!

·
Premium Member
2,228 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Good Lord Jer, send a kid up there in the lift, if they fall they bounce!!:lol::lol:
You're right!! They do!! I'm fact, this morning I have a clinic full of little bouncy guys to see!!!! Mostly trampoliners....

·
Premium Member
2,228 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I was on the peak of a 2-story home, I'd guess it was about a 45 degree pitch and I started sliding uncontrolled towards the edge. Spun around and barely grabbed the peak. Had I not grabbed it I absolutely would have slid right off the roof. I said to myself - this is a STUPID risk to put up twinkling lights for a month or so, only to have to pull them back down.

I've since picked a BIG pine tree in my yard - probably 25ft or so and filled it with the large outdoor bulbs. That one tree is my outdoor decoration and the lights stay on it year-round. From the road you can't tell they're on there in the summer anyway. Looks beautiful with the freshly fallen snow over the lights. Which reminds me - i've got to check those suckers and make sure they're functioning before things get cold - thanks for the reminder!:laugh:
We do that too... 11 trees last year, and counting. Another manlift job!!!

·
Premium Member
2,228 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Old(er) age, common sense, and mortality are setting in...it happens to the best of us. I too agree you will be fine, I am sure there are many, many safety's and protections built in since this is designed to lift humans.
Dammit!!!!!! That's no fun. Chicks don't dig common sense!!!!!

Just kidding. Mine seems to dig me in one piece, despite the insurance policy.

-J.

·
Registered
357 Posts
You'll be alright those things take an act of God to flip. We use them all the time at work up to 160ft. The only time you here anything bad is severe wind,driving than the ground giving away or once we had a crane operator make a pick inadvertently and knocked one over.

·
Premium Member
2,228 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
You'll be alright those things take an act of God to flip. We use them all the time at work up to 160ft. The only time you here anything bad is severe wind,driving than the ground giving away or once we had a crane operator make a pick inadvertently and knocked one over.
Ok, cool, thx for that. I'm really careful about solid ground, and there's no cranes around!!!

-J.

·
Registered
357 Posts
Ok, cool, thx for that. I'm really careful about solid ground, and there's no cranes around!!!

-J.

There was an incident if anyone recalls at Notre Dame I believe where a scissor lift tipped over during a high wind storm. A student cameraman was recording a football practice and the end result was a death. We can't use them over a 25 mph wind if any training was awarded to this young man a life could of been saved.

·
Premium Member
2,228 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I sure wouldn't be up in a 25mph (~40kph) breeze......

·
Registered
252 Posts
You'd be surprised (or not) how many Xmas fractures show up in our operating rooms from guys falling off roofs and ladders!

I decided years ago to put them on my deck, not my eaves!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
2,228 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Oh I know..... I'm the guy that fixes them. Well, now I stabilize and shuttle them off to my foot & ankle or spine friends.....and I go and reconstruct another ACL.

-J.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts