Green Tractor Talk banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2018 Deere 1025R
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey folks. I just purchased a used Frontier manure spreader model MS1102. It’s in decent shape but I am running into some trouble with the beater bar on the rear. The chain doesn’t slip onto the drive gear on the wheel when I engage it. It seems to only half slip on, and rattles off on rough ground. The chain seems to have a lot of slack, so I tried removing a link but that made it way too tight to even engage.

Has anyone run into similar with their spreader? Seems like the chain is loose but I can’t find where to adjust it (if I can) and I don’t have a manual. Any other ideas on what to check? Thanks!

·
Premium Member
2020 1025R, 120R, 54D
3,987 Posts
I see a half link near the sprocket (with cotter pin). Have you tried removing that?

·
Premium Member
2020 1025R, 120R, 54D
3,987 Posts
I see a half link near the sprocket (with cotter pin). Have you tried removing that?
I know nothing about this spreader but does the drive wheel allow for any adjustment?

·
Premium Member
2,595 Posts
1/2 links are how many poop pushers are adjusted. Do what ME suggests and remove the 1/2 link. AND spray the chain with WD40 or oil it.

·
Registered
2018 Deere 1025R
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

·
Registered
2018 Deere 1025R
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I did but it seems I’d need to take the next link over with the tab off too to have pieces that fit together right and that makes it way too short.

·
Registered
2018 Deere 1025R
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
@honeycadam check techpubs.deere.com for a manual.
The chain may be stretched or the sprockets may be worn or some combination.
For parts diagrams check partscatalog.deere.com
No luck on the manual there unfortunately. How can I tell if the sprockets are worn?

·
Premium Member
2020 1025R, 120R, 54D
3,987 Posts
I did but it seems I’d need to take the next link over with the tab off too to have pieces that fit together right and that makes it way too short.
The link with the tab is the master link. Remove it, then remove the 1/2 link, and put the master back in place.

Reactions: Treefarmer

·
Registered
4,978 Posts
Worn sprokets will have pointed or slanted teeth.

Those look fine

here is worn look
Crankset Gear Bicycle part Font Art

·
Premium Member
2020 1025R, 120R, 54D
3,987 Posts
The link with the tab is the master link. Remove it, then remove the 1/2 link, and put the master back in place.
After removing the 1/2 link, the master goes between the 2 yellow marks. This will shorten the chain by a half link.

Automotive tire Plant Tread Wheel Grass

Reactions: honeycadam

·
Registered
2018 Deere 1025R
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Appreciate all the suggestions and guidance so far folks. I took out the half link as described and it was too short to even engage. I’m thinking there’s a bent piece somewhere that’s preventing things from settling in right. I noticed when I had it with the half link out, it didn’t want to align right with one of the top sprockets either. So my guess is a bent chain or one of the brackets the sprockets attach to is bent. I’ll fuss with it more tomorrow.

·
Premium Member
2020 1025R, 120R, 54D
3,987 Posts
Appreciate all the suggestions and guidance so far folks. I took out the half link as described and it was too short to even engage. I’m thinking there’s a bent piece somewhere that’s preventing things from settling in right. I noticed when I had it with the half link out, it didn’t want to align right with one of the top sprockets either. So my guess is a bent chain or one of the brackets the sprockets attach to is bent. I’ll fuss with it more tomorrow.
Maybe some pics of the other end of the chain that shows the engagement mechanism might help someone figure it out for you...

·
Registered
9,159 Posts
Definitely check and make sure all the sprockets are in alignment. Manure spreaders operate in very tough conditions and bearings, mounting plates etc. can get eaten up. After checking that and making any corrections, I would oil the chain and run it at slow speed if it will turn at all. A rusty chain just doesn't work well and tends to slip and jump off sprockets. It's going to be hard to get oil into the chain and if necessary take it off, coil it up and put it on a bucket of used oil or hydraulic fluid overnight to allow the oil to penetrate the rust in the rollers. Yep, it will be a mess to deal with but until the chain is free to move like it should you won't know the correct length.

Reactions: honeycadam

·
Registered
2018 Deere 1025R
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Definitely check and make sure all the sprockets are in alignment. Manure spreaders operate in very tough conditions and bearings, mounting plates etc. can get eaten up. After checking that and making any corrections, I would oil the chain and run it at slow speed if it will turn at all. A rusty chain just doesn't work well and tends to slip and jump off sprockets. It's going to be hard to get oil into the chain and if necessary take it off, coil it up and put it on a bucket of used oil or hydraulic fluid overnight to allow the oil to penetrate the rust in the rollers. Yep, it will be a mess to deal with but until the chain is free to move like it should you won't know the correct length.
Good advice, thanks.

How can I be sure the sprockets are in alignment? It will turn fine with the chain on, I just need to bump the chain onto the wheel sprocket to get it lined up first. The chain is marinating in oil, has been since yesterday. I’m going to put it back on today and see how it goes. I greased all the points on the spreader as well.

·
Registered
2018 Deere 1025R
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
A photo of chain/sprockets behind wheel with wheel removed would help members diagnose chain problem.
Having a heck of a time getting the wheel off. One bolt keeps turning with the nut, it may have been broken by the previous owner or there’s another nut on the backside. I was able to get these pics before I took the chain off to soak in oil.

Engaged

Disengaged

And with the chain off:

·
Registered
9,159 Posts
Good advice, thanks.

How can I be sure the sprockets are in alignment? It will turn fine with the chain on, I just need to bump the chain onto the wheel sprocket to get it lined up first. The chain is marinating in oil, has been since yesterday. I’m going to put it back on today and see how it goes. I greased all the points on the spreader as well.
Two ways to check on the sprocket alignment. If the chain is on the sprockets you can simply look and make sure it's engaging evenly across the sprocket, not hitting one side or the other. If it's off the sprocket, lay a straight edge along a flat spot and sight toward the the other sprocket. It might not be perfectly lined up but should be close. There's some slop in chains, particularly longer chains that can handle a little misalignment but better alignment is preferable.

Just a reminder- that newly oiled chain will throw oil off for a while. Don't get too curious and want to see what's going on or you will get a face and maybe an eyeful of oil if it's running.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.