Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I used the 140 with backhoe to get between a 1 and 5 foot radius around the main tree stump. Tree was too close to the well, the propane tank, the shop drain exit, and the leantoo part of the shop building. The roots were everywhere and sprouting trees up where it couldn't easily be mowed. Previous owners didn't do anything about the extra growth. So this past winter I cut the tree down and now am attempting to remove the rest of the stump so it doesn't attempt to keep growing.

One-how to I get the dang thing out? I have a B John Deere with 45 loader on it and it only wiggles it a couple inches. It is wet clay with standing water 1 foot below the surface. The roots were shallow less then 2 feet up to where I was digging. I did dig the circle around it down through the roots with the help of a sawzal and axe.

If I can't pull/dig the stump out do I just flush cut with a chainsaw and bury over or will the thing keep coming back to life growing more trees/roots? Is there something I can do to prevent it from growing? It is about 8 feet from my well which is about 40 feet deep so poison isn't an option really.

I haven't investigated yet but I am pretty sure it is the reason my drain for the shop doesn't work (water sits in the catch pan for the drain for many hours before emptying. Seems like it fills the pipe a good ways before getting to that point but then doesn't drain down so it is toward the end of the pipe it got plugged. Not the actual end though since I could see it open to the world-mostly.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Go rent a stump grinder for the day.

·
Registered
396 Posts
I'm assuming that the stump was cut close to the ground? If there is a few feet there, I would wrap a chain around the top and pull it over with a pickup or larger tractor.

If you decide to cut it off flush/below ground level, dump a bunch of lye over the top of it. That will to do things; 1) it will help to quickly decay the stump/tap root, and 2) keep the soil from becoming so acidic that nothing grows over it. Over the next few years, you will probably have to add dirt to the area as a depression will be created by the rooting stump.

·
Registered
5,485 Posts
Stump

I'm not sure I would pull that stump out by brute force. With the possibility the roots are around or in the drain line and/or well you might be better off using a stump grinder or letting it rot in place. You can paint the cut top with Roundup if the cut is fresh. If you use lye, or fertilizer to help the rotting process take a large spade bit and drill holes in the top of the stump to hold the material and moisture. If it sprouts again, cut the sprouts and treat those spots. If you don't let the sprouts develop leaves, the stump will deplete stored energy and die.

Treefarmer

·
Premium Member
2,899 Posts
I have several stumps to deal with this year, some of them maple as well. I plan on just grinding them below the surface the best I can and let nature take it's course on the remains.

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
Half stick of dynamite & a blasting cap into a 1 inch hole in the center. :laugh:

Either stump grind or chemical decay by Lye & cover with topsoil. Too close & too big to pull based on your description. I would not risk pulling it up.

·
Registered
5,485 Posts
Can we watch?

Half stick of dynamite & a blasting cap into a 1 inch hole in the center. :laugh:

Either stump grind or chemical decay by Lye & cover with topsoil. Too close & too big to pull based on your description. I would not risk pulling it up.
The dynamite would work well. . . Might be a problem with collateral damage particularly with the the propane tank but fun to watch!

On second thought, maybe not a good idea. Maddog's second option might be better.

Treefarmer

·
Premium Member
5,081 Posts
Lately I've just cut stumps about a foot above ground level and left them as part of the landscape. I've literally spent way more hours and energy than I could afford in the past and now would rent a grinder if I wanted one out completely. Just me maybe . . . . :greentractorride:

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
37,517 Posts
Lately I've just cut stumps about a foot above ground level and left them as part of the landscape. I've literally spent way more hours and energy than I could afford in the past and now would rent a grinder if I wanted one out completely. Just me maybe . . . . :greentractorride:
I do the same. Way back when it was sort of fun, not anymore.

·
Bonehead Club Lackey
10,266 Posts
I bought some stump killer stuff last week. Have to put it on with a paint brush. Lye? Does it really work and where would I buy it? Haven't heard of doing this before.

·
Registered
2,965 Posts
I cut flush and use a combination of 50/50 diesel and herbicide on the cambium (the only living part of the tree left exposed) to kill the tree. I've been putting off grinding until I have my own grinder. Letting them rot naturally will take the rest of my life. I have stumps that are 40 years old that still speckle the landscape from logging in the era before my birth.

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
37,517 Posts
I cut flush and use a combination of 50/50 diesel and herbicide on the cambium (the only living part of the tree left exposed) to kill the tree. I've been putting off grinding until I have my own grinder. Letting them rot naturally will take the rest of my life. I have stumps that are 40 years old that still speckle the landscape from logging in the era before my birth.
Jim, have you ever used Saltpeter (potassium nitrate) on a stump?

·
Registered
1,919 Posts
Well, if you don't have one already, you'll need one of these: IMG_20140605_204249.jpg

Then you can do this: IMG_20140616_191640.jpg

The stump was about 2' in diameter, but the hole ended up being about 40' in diameter and 4' deep. I cut three separate ramps down to the final depth to access the monster from all sides. I ended up needing to pull it (once loose from the ground) with a 4wd vehicle with quite a few more horses under the hood then the 1023E had available.

Good luck and May the Force Be With You!

·
Registered
2,965 Posts
Jim, have you ever used Saltpeter (potassium nitrate) on a stump?
No. I'm pretty new to the whole removal part. The rotten stumps left from logging are mostly just occupying holes in the earth and can be extracted with little difficulty. Some haven't decayed as much and would probably come out with a smack from the FEL, but they're still holding on.

The 40' dirt ditch isn't really practical for me (there'd be 20 other stumps in that circle). I'm going to be clearing 5.5 acres and might as well hire a D8 to push them out at that point (actually, a dozer will be likely for the range clearing). The grinder is a spot treatment and will allow me to clear areas for roads and buildings without bringing in the heavy machinery or making a path big enough for it when that's not desirable.

Drilling holes and sour milk + fertilizer is the farm remedy of choice around here. I guess after a couple years they're punky and can be lit to where the whole root system will burn. I haven't tried that yet either.

·
Registered
396 Posts
Another option, but wouldn't work for a year or two, is to burn it. Drill many, many holes into it with an 18" lg spade bit and fill with diesel or kerosene over the course of a couple months. Them light it up! I did that with an old stump and it burned/smoldered for almost 3 days. Left a big hole in the ground too!

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
35 Posts
stump

Re stump if u can send some pics I will be able to advise as I have tried with my 1025r filb to remove stumps it was a challenge of time and a lot of work if is a big root system so I purchased a rayco super jr stump grinder to expand my business to offer stump grinding and removal with my 1025r not much gets in my way u can rent stump grinders from home depot they will work on small stuff if its on the big side u will be very beat up at the end of the day small foot note the power of root and ice is amazing and then there is rock I hope this helps best regards ron

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Wow, lot of answers. Friend told me about holes and gas. It was cut last winter so likely not dry enough. I do have a rim for a bon-fire pit so I could roll it over to the stump and burn there but I have to watch out since I have my wood pile there already. I also have heard from another forum about washing the roots off to expose more. It is at a slight grade so I could do that some at least. FYI-the B JD will pull more then the 4X4 dodge truck just from weight/tires alone and it was digging holes and almost killing the thing.

Attachments

·
Registered
12,342 Posts
Wow, lot of answers. Friend told me about holes and gas. It was cut last winter so likely not dry enough. I do have a rim for a bon-fire pit so I could roll it over to the stump and burn there but I have to watch out since I have my wood pile there already. I also have heard from another forum about washing the roots off to expose more. It is at a slight grade so I could do that some at least. FYI-the B JD will pull more then the 4X4 dodge truck just from weight/tires alone and it was digging holes and almost killing the thing.
coalminer; love the look of them wheel weights.:greentractorride::bigthumb: big jim

·
Premium Member
5,081 Posts
Thanks for the pic, I can see why you'd want the stump removed. Looks like that area will cleanup nice once you get the beast removed.

·
Premium Member
1,626 Posts
I have the top half of burn barrel, 55 gallon drum, that I use to burn the stumps of all my dead pine trees. If they're dry it works pretty well. Otherwise it's just nice to have a fire to sit around and maintain. It might take you a couple nice evening fires, but it's pretty cheap entertainment. :thumbup1gif:

1 - 20 of 27 Posts